Vintage Fibes Help

gonzo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just picked up a vintage fiberglass Fibes kit (probably one of the first runs of shells) and really need some questions answered. First though, I will say that they had been painted red. Since I was going to either re-wrap or leave as-is, I sprayed some paint stripper on the paint--it came up exposing a beautiful copper shell underneath!!!!! So--here are the questions:

1. The copper has pits and slight corrosion which I think will come out--any suggestions besides #0000 steel wool and Brasso?

2. The fiberglass feels gritty inside the shell, so would a sealer help with that OR would I sacrafice the integrity of the fiberglass?

3. The badges were taken off when the shells were painted, so where can I find 4 Fibes sticker/badges?

4. ANY other thoughts or suggetions?

Jim, if you are on this Forum then thank you for the shells. John Lamond, thank you for your help and expertise---please join in here if you see this thread. Thank you! BTW--I miss my Milestone set and hope these sound just as good or better!!!! They also have the reinforcement hoops inside the shells!!!

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Those are the original mid-60's Fibes, with re-rings.

I can't believe some idiot painted over that nice copper finish! I don't have any advice about getting the small pits out of the finish. It has a horizontal grain, and scrubbing it, even with the finest steel wool, would mess it up, in my opinion.

The original old Fibes badges were rectangular, and they said Fibes, Farmingdale, New York. Those are as rare as hen's teeth. The chances of finding any are one in a million.

I had a set of those back in the day, and the interiors were "gritty" like you said, but they still sounded great. I wouldn't mess with them.

accusonic

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't mess with the copper finish except to remove the paint. I believe they put a coat of clear lacquer on top to prevent tarnishing (I know that they did this on their "Antique Bronze" wrap because I have a snare drum in that finish; I would assume that they did the same on the copper drums). What happens is that the lacquer becomes compromised and the metal tarnishes under the lacquer. This means that you can't get to the tarnished area with any sort of conventional cleaner or polish; probably the only thing you could do is strip off the lacquer, clean and recoat. That sounds like a lot of work, and I suspect that the drums would look different than when they were new as the finish had an "aged" look to it rather than being brightly polished.

I have the 1972 catalog picture of this finish, but the file is too large to post (278kb). Anybody know how to resize?