Vintage Gretsch lug fix help needed

High on Stress

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I just picked up a SB Gretsch tom and one of the lugs won’t allow a tension rod to be screwed in more than a few turns (and well before it touches the hoop). I tried a different rod, so I have concluded it’s a stripped swivel nut receiver. Normally I would remove the lug casing to replace the insert but I’m thinking this must be a tom from the era of self tapping screws being used to attach the lug. Thus I am reluctant to take the lug off. Any suggestions?

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I'd agree, try running a tap thru the swivel nut. If that fails you'll need to remove the lug. You can do it with the self tappers just try to put the same bolts back into the same holes they tapped for themselves. Shouldn't be a big deal when dealing with just one lug.

Actually I've had lots of lugs off lots of Gretsch drums from varying years (including SSB era drums)and have yet to run into a problem getting them back on. While it can be an issue, as others have encountered, I don't believe it's an absolute "given" that there will be trouble, unless I've been incredibly lucky. Worst case you might need to run a tap thru the lug mounts or maybe buy a single replacement lug.

ThomasL

Reaction score
If you remove the lug, knock it into a hard (wood) surface (holes down) so that any metal shavings fall out. If there are shavings in the threads of the screw, remove them using a metal brush or similar before re-assembly. I took apart a 5-piece kit and by cleaning the threads, only a few screws caused problems.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd pull it off and fix the swivel problem then reinstall it. My negative experience with the self tapping screws is simply that I over tighten them, usually the more vintage kind, and strip the lug and then need a new one.

varatrodder

Reaction score
When I had to take off some self tapping Gretsch screws, I used blue Loctite when I replaced them. As mentioned above, just don't over tighten.