Vintage Gretsch Renown Strainer Substitute

popiomodena

Reaction score
I have been looking around for a 1960s Gretsch Renown strainer and have been failing. I also don't want to spend a fortune on one either. Does anyone know of a substitute that occupies the same 4 hole pattern?

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
I never tried it but the Gibraltar 3 point might work if you just use the top two holes. I've heard of guys doing that on Slingerlands as the bottom point doesn't line up right on those either. It has the right look. If I get a chance I'll measure and see.

This throw was initially only available from a particular drum seller website, long out of business. That guy arranged/paid/asked for the tooling to be made. I never understood why he didn't make sure it lined up with the holes on the vintage slingerland models he was having it more or less copied from. He told me he planned to have a different base plate tooled up that would line up. I told him if he did a four point that would replace the Gretsch Renown throw he could sell a boatload of them. He thought that was a good idea but none of it ever came to pass. I guess gibraltar picked up the rights, it's definitely the same throw off.

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I want to say I have tried this and it required slight widening of the mount arms but it worked....sorry - faulty memory moment!