Vintage Gretsch Round Badge 14 x 14 6 ply

Talkingdrum

Reaction score
I'm looking for Vintage Gretsch Round Badge 14" x 14" 6 ply if anyone has one going. Preferably in white marine pearl but would take one in any finish.

Talkingdrum

Reaction score
Osahead2 said:
Do you expect a deal here? I suggest your best option is to grab a vintage RB 14x14 floor tom off eBay because no deals here on them... that's pretty much what they go for these days.

They are expensive and hard to find.
I'm sorry I don't follow you. I'm not looking for "a deal" whatever it is you mean by that. I'm looking for a 14x14 6 ply. I have been searching ebay, reverb.com, Steve Maxwell etc, etc but cannot find one so I thought this might be a good place to post. - No?? This is the wanted section of the drumforum is it not? Is it just for cheap drums and "deals"? - I don't understand.
Believe me, I know they are expensive and hard to find, but I am prepared to pay for it. Is there something in my post that suggests I'm not?

Osahead2

DFO Master
Reaction score
Flying to airshows across America in a B-29 Superf
Talkingdrum said:
Do you expect a deal here? I suggest your best option is to grab a vintage RB 14x14 floor tom off eBay because no deals here on them... that's pretty much what they go for these days.

I'm sorry I don't follow you. I'm not looking for "a deal" whatever it is you mean by that. I'm looking for a 14x14 6 ply. I have been searching ebay, reverb.com, Steve Maxwell etc, etc but cannot find one so I thought this might be a good place to post. - No?? This is the wanted section of the drumforum is it not? Is it just for cheap drums and "deals"? - I don't understand.
Believe me, I know they are expensive and hard to find, but I am prepared to pay for it. Is there something in my post that suggests I'm not?
Well first off my friend you didn't disclose the fact that you are in the U.K. which makes a huge difference on availability, price, shipping and your reason for asking etc.

All jokes aside maybe, I can help you get exactly what you need because, I'm in need of a 1960s Oaklawn Camco walnut finish 14x14 floor tom and I'll be happy to trade you a 1960s WMP 14x14 RB floor tom for what I need. Basically drum for drum.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
cinemadrummer2001 said:
The listing says 14 floor but it looks like a 16 floor tom doesnt it?
I'm thinking the same thing, sure looks like it's more than 2" bigger in diameter than the 12 sitting on top of it. If that were a 14x14 then that would be a decent deal for it and the other two drums are free.

I'm certain this isn't what the OP wants but I took an older modern Renown 14x14 and rewrapped it to match a RB set, it's six ply maple with the correct hardware (correct lugs and die casts, except for the much better floor tom leg mounts, but I could have installed the original type before the rewrap) and I only paid $150 for it (and it was basically brand new). It blends in fine with the older drums sound-wise.

I do own two "real" 14x14 RB Gretsch floor toms (NFS) and they were both around a grand to bring home after long searches. 14x14 is almost always a tough find from any vintage brand.

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I agree, it appears to be erroneously listed and is probably a 12,16,22.

Talkingdrum

Reaction score
drumtimejohn said:
Based on country, not sure this will help. GC has a beat up 3 piece for $900 plus shipping/tax. Appears the 14x14 may be in reasonable condition.

1960s 4415 Drum Kit: https://www.guitarcenter.com/Gretsch-Drums/1960s-4415-Drum-Kit.gc

Link seems broken so just search the title.
Thanks. I can't seem to find it. Guitar center website seems to be malfunctioning. Every time I try a search I just get a page of code. Tried a couple of browsers but doesn't work. I'll see if it's working later but by the sound of it it might not be a 14" anyway. I might just try for the 14" silver sparkle that JDA flagged on ebay although it does say "might not ship to uk". It's always worth asking.

Talkingdrum

Reaction score
Osahead2 said:

Well first off my friend you didn't disclose the fact that you are in the U.K. which makes a huge difference on availability, price, shipping and your reason for asking etc.

All jokes aside maybe, I can help you get exactly what you need because, I'm in need of a 1960s Oaklawn Camco walnut finish 14x14 floor tom and I'll be happy to trade you a 1960s WMP 14x14 RB floor tom for what I need. Basically drum for drum.

If I had what you are looking for I would love to trade with you but sadly I don't have an 1960s Oaklawn Camco walnut finish 14x14 (or indeed any Camco drums). If you do indeed have a WMP 14 x 14 and were willing to sell it I'd give you a good price for it.

pedro navahas

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Check Chicago Craigslist, there are two 14x14 floor toms at reasonable money.

Talkingdrum

Reaction score
pedro navahas said:
Check Chicago Craigslist, there are two 14x14 floor toms at reasonable money.
Wow thanks for that. One of them is white marine pearl as well! I'm going to contact the guy and see if he is prepared to ship to uk.
Many thanks!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
The 14x14 WMP is not real - it's a cocktail drum that was cut down. That guy is selling a lot of gear on Reverb and I've seen it there, too.

The 70's one on the Chicago CList was pretty thrashed with some big holes and patches.......

I have 2 - BDP for my Elvin tribute kit and a bare shell I bought which Precision wrapped in red glass glitter to match my red kit. They were expensive and very hard to find.......I wish you luck on your hunt, my friend.

I also have a modern USA champagne 14x14 I got for a great deal. I simply refuse to pay over $1K for a vintage RB one....that's simply crazy! The new champagne color is not as bright as my vintage champagne RB kit but my wallet is happier.

Talkingdrum

Reaction score
JazzDrumGuy said:
The 14x14 WMP is not real - it's a cocktail drum that was cut down. That guy is selling a lot of gear on Reverb and I've seen it there, too.

The 70's one on the Chicago CList was pretty thrashed with some big holes and patches.......

I have 2 - BDP for my Elvin tribute kit and a bare shell I bought which Precision wrapped in red glass glitter to match my red kit. They were expensive and very hard to find.......I wish you luck on your hunt, my friend.

I also have a modern USA champagne 14x14 I got for a great deal. I simply refuse to pay over $1K for a vintage RB one....that's simply crazy! The new champagne color is not as bright as my vintage champagne RB kit but my wallet is happier.
I'm taking a chance on the cut down. It'a not exactly what I was looking for but if it sounds half decent I'll be happy as it will be a great addition to my wmp 12, 16, 20. The colour of the wrap doesn't really match on the drums I have so I'm not particularly bothered if the new drum is different again. I tried googling to see if there was any opinion on the sound of a cut down cocktail drum to a regular 14x14 but couldn't find anything. If anyone has an opinion on that before part with the cash that would be appreciated. All being well I should end up with a great set up albeit a "players" kit but the sound is much more important to me than any aesthetics. Like you say, I'm saving a lot of money over a regular 14. He has one of those as well (not wmp) which he is selling for $1200. Crazy money. If it was wmp I might have taken the plunge but hopefully I'll be happy with the cut down.
Many thanks Pedro for pointing me in the right direction.
Once it arrives maybe I'll post mt opinion on the drum and maybe even a picture with the kit :)

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
The 6 ply shells were made by Jasper in Indiana and shipped to Brooklyn as long tubes in the various required diameters. These were cut to length for the particular drum being made so the shell used to make a 14x14 would be the same as that used to make a 26x14 cocktail drum (or a 5x14 snare drum) but simply cut to different lengths. My guess is that the drum in question was cut to 13" because the wrap had a seam in the middle (the standard 24" high sheet of wrap wouldn't cover a 26" deep drum in one piece so they put two pieces of wrap on the drum, each covering half, and then hid the seam in the center with a decorative metal band). If they had cut the drum down to 14" then there would be an odd seam or metal band one inch from one of the heads. Not to mention that by cutting it in half they end up with two almost 14x14 floor toms to sell.

1" of depth probably isn't going to make much difference sound wise.

Talkingdrum

Reaction score
K.O. said:
The 6 ply shells were made by Jasper in Indiana and shipped to Brooklyn as long tubes in the various required diameters. These were cut to length for the particular drum being made so the shell used to make a 14x14 would be the same as that used to make a 26x14 cocktail drum (or a 5x14 snare drum) but simply cut to different lengths. My guess is that the drum in question was cut to 13" because the wrap had a seam in the middle (the standard 24" high sheet of wrap wouldn't cover a 26" deep drum in one piece so they put two pieces of wrap on the drum, each covering half, and then hid the seam in the center with a decorative metal band). If they had cut the drum down to 14" then there would be an odd seam or metal band one inch from one of the heads. Not to mention that by cutting it in half they end up with two almost 14x14 floor toms to sell.

1" of depth probably isn't going to make much difference sound wise.
Thanks for that info, that's very useful to know. I'm not really concerned with the loss of 1" in the length of the drum. I have a Canopus RFM kit which are beautiful sounding drums and the standard size of the floor tom that came with that kit is 14 X 13. When I queried why that was they said something along the lines of there being resonant problems with "square" sizes so none of their drums are produced that are the same diameter as depth. I've no idea how much truth there is in that but I'm perfectly happy with the 14x13 that came with that kit so I don't imagine I'm going to miss the inch on the Gretsch. If Canopus are to be believed, it could even possibly sound better :)

pedro navahas

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Im pretty sure the seller of the wmp is a member here, as the 70s one is from Druggan I think, also a member.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
While I am a particular fan of the 14x14 I recently converted a Ludwig 13x14 power tom from the 80's into a floor tom and it sounds just fine.

Attachments

Latest posts