Vintage Gretsch? What have I brought home?

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hey, I dont see the two holes on the 13 inch tom that would have used the hoop mount....

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey, I dont see the two holes on the 13 inch tom that would have used the hoop mount....
you mean on the outside? He doesn't have a pic. They're to the right (or left) of the mufflers

depending if you're standing inside or outside the drum.

Last edited:

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
That's a cool kit. And being an unmolested survivor, really interesting. More than a "player's kit" imo.

HowardW

Reaction score
That's a cool kit. And being an unmolested survivor, really interesting. More than a "player's kit" imo.
Last night I put new heads on the drums: Evans G1 (coated batter, clear reso) and a new bass logo head from Gretsch. I replaced the damaged Evans EQ4 bass batter head with another EQ4. The tone is amazing! I didn't have a chance to actually play it, but tonight I'm going to grab a snare, hats, ride and crash and putter around with it.

I originally bought it with the thoughts of resale, but now I'm thinking about keeping it. I just have to figure out where to keep it!

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Howie: Ya gotta put a bass hoop mounted tom mount on that baby like Nature intended! :)

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd ask him to measure the spacing between the two screws (and match it to your measurement) Just To be on the safe side..

Beautiful curve in that bracket (nicer than the wfl one a few posts prior..

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Guys, if the BD mounted Tom holder held the tom in 1956, it will hold the same tom in 2020!!
Just glue some rubber pieces inside the metal on the holder so you dont damage the wooded bass drum hoop.
Replacing the bolt with a new one isnt a bad idea, either.

HowardW

Reaction score
I asked the seller to measure the distance between the screws, and his measurements are different from the holes in my tom by 1/4".

Does anybody know what the distance is supposed to be?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

Formula 602

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
16" floor tom:
  • Sometime in the past, somebody spray painted "U.S." on it. Maybe it was something like a USO drum?
  • Very clear date stamp inside: JUL-7-1953
  • Same badge issue as 13" tom.
  • 3 ply shell, very clean, bearing edges are very smooth.
I have NEVER seen a Gretsch date inside past 1953...and I have had a lot of Gretsch sets!..

Reactions: JDA