Vintage Hilite Sonar Exclusive kit with Sonar snare Signature Series. Help with value

speedster2u

Reaction score
Hi all!

I am new to this forum and wanted to see if anyone could PLEASE help me with a vintage drums set that I purchased. They are Sonar Hilite Exclusive Kit German made, and also have the snare signature series. I would love your input on what the entire set might be worth? I just took the images and unfortunately now it's late, tired but will post many more tomorrow.

Thank you much!!

Attachments

edge

Reaction score
saw those drums, must have got a good deal off line, major score there

speedster2u

Reaction score
Lee. I will give them a try. I guess the hilite came out in 1989, was german made and apparently really desirable, how $ is it? I am not sure. But I will start there. Thanks man!

madchops82

DFO Master
Reaction score
You got the deal of a lifetime if for 400. The floor tom is worth that.

madchops82

DFO Master
Reaction score
Those cymbals are less than 10 years old. I have a friend with that snare. It's just amazing.

W

wayne

I,ve owned them except the snare drum. The bass drum is out of this world, the toms are decent but not magical like some believe.

franke

DFO Star
Reaction score
As others have said, the snare - model HLD 590 - is the real "jewel in the crown" here, and while I'd rate the condition as good to fair, the value is still in the $2-$3k range (for comparison, here's a completed UK auction for one in excellent condition with the original case: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sonor-HLD-590-Bell-Bronze-Snare-Drum-MEGA-RARE-THE-HOLY-GRAIL-/251513589317?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Drums_Percussions_MJ&hash=item3a8f60ce45&nma=true&si=7KCCFWlKxMjiOC3C105mnAOH8ag%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557 ).

Hilites had nine-ply (7.5 mm) maple shells. They were a forerunner to the Delite series, and fell under the Signature Series and above the Sonorlites. They are highly regarded by Sonor aficionados, and the ones with copper plating (cataloged as Hilite Exclusive) are usually worth a few bucks more than those with chrome hardware.

That said, given their condition (lots of scratches) and the fact that the front bass drum hoop, T-rods, and claws are missing, I'd value the kit minus snare in the $1200-$1500 range. One will see similar examples on eBay/CL listed for considerably more, but those usually don't sell. These are really nice sounding drums, but in addition to the condition issues, they are 20 years old and the shell depths are a little out of fashion.

thenuge

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
What they're worth and what someone will pay in the current market are not always the same. That snare did not sell for 2800; it was sold at 'best offer accepted' and we don't know what that was. If you have a 20 instead of a 22 bd (hard to tell from pics) that makes the kit even more desirable, or at least rare. Here's a price list from '89.

http://sonormuseum.com/prices/1989/1989prices.html

I think you can double these numbers to adjust for today's dollars. You won't sell it for that, but it really makes you stop and say F*** THESE DRUMS ARE EXPENSIVE!!!!

imthebeat

Reaction score
The snare on the UK site sold for between 1999 and 2199 GBP, which is approx. $3425-$3767 USD, using today's exchange rate.

speedster2u

Reaction score
No, I pulled the drums because there was an error on my listing. But will be posting again. Just wanted to have an idea of the value of the drum kit. I was bombarded with emails and really could not keep track of who asked what, it was insane.
I will give sonormuseum a try as it seems they have die hard customers on there.

Thanks a bunch for all the feedback.

lazer

DFO Master
Reaction score
heres some hilites local to me

http://vancouver.en.craigslist.ca/van/msg/4563101812.html

Sonor Hilite Drums- 5 Piece, Rare, Excellent Condition - $1495 (Downtown Vancouver)

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap

(google map) (yahoo map)

condition: excellent

I am selling vintage, 5 piece 1989 Sonor Hilite drums in white lacquer finish, including the original Sonor chrome double tom holder and tom stand.

Manufactured in Germany in 1989, these drums are of the highest quality and extremely rare. They feature 9-ply European-sourced maple, cross-laminated with a thickness of 7.5 mm and unique insulators that avoid sound absorption by providing no contact between metal parts and the wooden shell. The European-sourced maple give the drums a warm tone with outstanding projection and precise attack. Most drum manufacturers now source their woods from Asia to save costs, hence the European maple construction is extremely rare and of the highest quality.

They retailed for over $4000 USD in 1989, if you would like to see an authorized price list from 1989 see the link below:
http://www.sonormuseum.com/prices/1989/1989prices.html

The drums are in excellent condition. The sizes are as follows:

Bass Drum - 22" x 17"
Toms- 10" x 9" , 12" x 10" and 13" x 11"
Floor Tom - 16" x 17"

The drum heads are recently replaced and barely used. They are all Remo ambassador (clear), except for the bass drum which has a clear Remo power stroke on the batter side and Remo ebony ambassador on the resonant side.

**note the kick pedal shown in the photos is not for sale.

Email me to set up a time to view the drums or if you would like a link to hear a recording of the drums.
  • do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers

post id: 4563101812

Latest posts