Vintage Kent Snare

Living Dead Drummer

Reaction score
A little story. Kent Drums were made in Kenmore, NY until 1977. I was born and grew up in Kenmore. It's a suburb of Buffalo, and is a little tiny village on the norther boarder of the city. My Grandfather told me he had a set of Kent's back in the Big Band Era, and because of my family history as well as Kent being a local brand, much like Regal Tip, I had always wanted something Kent related.

I found this Snare a few months ago while on tour. It was marked at an incredible price, but I actually didn't buy it because I didn't think we had the extra room to store it while finishing out the tour.

Yesterday a package showed up at my studio in LA with the drum inside! Turns out, I told the above story of always wanting a Kent, and not buying the snare on a recent podcast. My mother, the super-fan (and drummer) that she is contacted the band without my knowledge and they helped her track down the store. She then had them ship the drum to me, all as a surprise!

IMG_0436.jpg
IMG_0438.jpg

IMG_0437.jpg

dapribek

Reaction score
Great story! My first set was a blue sparkle Kenton the early ‘70s. I’m from Buffalo. Just started reading The History of Kent Drums, great read!

studrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Killer drum! And in Champaign Sparkle to boot, which I've never seen on a Kent. Original heads AND the store badge.
A young drummer around here (Detroit) is doing a lot of hip hop and techno-ish recording... with his Kent Blue Sparkle 8-lugger. A great dry sound.

Formula 602

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I sold Steve Jordan a 8 lug Kent snare....along with a 18,12,14 Ludwig set.....after a J.Mayer gig here once....

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nice find.

Interesting throw off on your snare drum. I had previously thought all or most of the blue badged Kents got the throw off shown on the 1966 below.
But by the end of the 60's to early 70's they had started to use more and more MIJ generic parts on their drums.

Typically these were 1 long ply of maple that was wrapped back around itself to create a "2 ply" shell.

IMG_20181104_174542.jpg

dtk

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
and i thought my mom was a saint...and your mom drums?

Living Dead Drummer

Reaction score
Great story! My first set was a blue sparkle Kenton the early ‘70s. I’m from Buffalo. Just started reading The History of Kent Drums, great read!

I have that book too! The author came to my gig when I toured back though WNY in September and gifted me a signed copy of it.

I'm guessing the shell on this drum is maple, and the date stamped inside is June 6, 1968

Debating on if I want to restore it a bit and put new wires and heads on, or just leave it as is as a show piece.

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have that book too! The author came to my gig when I toured back though WNY in September and gifted me a signed copy of it.

I'm guessing the shell on this drum is maple, and the date stamped inside is June 6, 1968

Debating on if I want to restore it a bit and put new wires and heads on, or just leave it as is as a show piece.
You can always just save the stock wires and heads somewhere and upgrade them. Then you’d at least have the original wires and heads.

Spoonman

Reaction score
Indeed a great story! I picked up my first Kent set in 1980 when visiting my grandparents in Lackawanna, it was a red sparkle with the blue badges. Really wish now I never sold it to the kid down the street years later…if anyone runs across a red sparkle Kent, let me know!