header.nohb.html

Vintage kit for cymbals

Peteinvicta1

Reaction score
This is a bit of a long shot but I've got way too many vintage kits and not enough cymbals so I thought I'd reach out and see if anyone was interested in trying to put together a trade for one of the kits for some cymbals of similar value.

I've got a wide selection of kits (4 or 5 Rogers, a few Ludwig 3 ply kits, two complete Leedy Ludwig kits, some 60's Premiers, a 70's Ludwig Vistalite (blue) with matching snare, a couple of Slingerlands, Fibes acrylic kits from the 70's.... even a Trixon Speedfire. Lots of random orphans as well.

I'm not looking for anything specific but would like to delve more into Meinl's and Paiste as most of what I have are Zildjians. I'm particularly low on hi hats so 2 pairs would be awesome. Not interested in weird effects cymbals and chinas but I hope this gives you an idea and will obviously supply pictures and info for specific kits based on interest.

owr

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Watcha got for Rogers? I dont neccesarily have cymbals to trade, but always curious to hear whats out there for these.

Peteinvicta1

Reaction score
Good question. Here's what I can think off the top of my head.

1. Grey Ripple (20/12/16) plus matching Powertone. The floor tom was acquired separately but the whole kit looks and sounds beautiful and I could never sell it.
2. Blue Onyx (20/12/14 FT) plus matching Powertone with bread and butter lugs, all original and in pretty good condition. Chrome and wrap pretty much perfect.
3. Blue Onyx (22/12/12/16) plus matching Dynasonic. This is all original and in perfect shape. Can't remember the year but it's pre Fullerton.
4. Green Sparkle (20/12/13/16). I rewrapped this years ago and it sounds great. Also useful to rent out on St Patricks Day gigs.
5. Wildwood (20/20/12/12/16 plus matching Powertone and fake 16" Wildwood floor tom. Amazing kit (almost 2 kits really) and a long story behind it.
6. Blue Onyx (20/12). I use the 16" floor tom from kit #3 when needed but I'm also on the look out for a 16" blue onyx floor tom or should just get around to wrapping a spare Rogers shell I have somewhere.

Thanks for making me inventory the kits.... I've been putting it off for too long but let me know if you've got any questions. Maybe my wife does have a point... "How many Rogers kits do you need?"

owr

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beautiful, thanks for sharing. I only have 1 Rogers kit, a 13/16/20 Silver Glitter, but I love it. I just took it out tonight and just get such a kick out of playing it. One day I'd like to own a 12/14/20 BDP but am not in a rush. It'll show up (or not) when the time is right.

GLWS/T!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any chance you are interested in some Zildjian hats - either newer model 14" new beats like new or 80's 15" new beats? I've been longing for a 12/16 blue onyx!

el_37

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Good question. Here's what I can think off the top of my head.

1. Grey Ripple (20/12/16) plus matching Powertone. The floor tom was acquired separately but the whole kit looks and sounds beautiful and I could never sell it.
2. Blue Onyx (20/12/14 FT) plus matching Powertone with bread and butter lugs, all original and in pretty good condition. Chrome and wrap pretty much perfect.
3. Blue Onyx (22/12/12/16) plus matching Dynasonic. This is all original and in perfect shape. Can't remember the year but it's pre Fullerton.
4. Green Sparkle (20/12/13/16). I rewrapped this years ago and it sounds great. Also useful to rent out on St Patricks Day gigs.
5. Wildwood (20/20/12/12/16 plus matching Powertone and fake 16" Wildwood floor tom. Amazing kit (almost 2 kits really) and a long story behind it.
6. Blue Onyx (20/12). I use the 16" floor tom from kit #3 when needed but I'm also on the look out for a 16" blue onyx floor tom or should just get around to wrapping a spare Rogers shell I have somewhere.

Thanks for making me inventory the kits.... I've been putting it off for too long but let me know if you've got any questions. Maybe my wife does have a point... "How many Rogers kits do you need?"
What is the story behind the Wildwood kit? Those are always an interesting find. My drum teacher was a Rogers endorser for a short period in the late 1960's- and a Wildwood Londoner set was the one he picked out. A friend also has a Fender Coronado II in Wildwood- because of those two examples I have always had a soft spot for that finish.

Peteinvicta1

Reaction score
Beautiful, thanks for sharing. I only have 1 Rogers kit, a 13/16/20 Silver Glitter, but I love it. I just took it out tonight and just get such a kick out of playing it. One day I'd like to own a 12/14/20 BDP but am not in a rush. It'll show up (or not) when the time is right.

GLWS/T!
I hear you. Silver Glitter is a beautiful finish and finding a nice 14' Floor Tom is worth the time looking. Good luck with the search!

Peteinvicta1

Reaction score
What is the story behind the Wildwood kit? Those are always an interesting find. My drum teacher was a Rogers endorser for a short period in the late 1960's- and a Wildwood Londoner set was the one he picked out. A friend also has a Fender Coronado II in Wildwood- because of those two examples I have always had a soft spot for that finish.
About 5 years ago my son spotted a Wildwood kit for sale just north of LA so we went on a road trip (we live in San Diego). The kit had been owned by a guy whose parents both worked for Rogers (dad a machinist and mother on the assembly line) in Covington. He was 16 in 1967 which was the only year they produced this finish and his parents gave him a Wildwood kit that was saved from the pile of shells that Rogers destroyed due to poor sales for his birthday. That's why the configuration is unusual; two 20" bass drums (one with the double mount, one single with cymbal arm), three 12" toms and a 16" floor tom. Plus the matching Powertone.
The finish is still very vibrant because the guy who owned them played them for a year or so in High School but then joined the military and put them in storage for 30+ years until he decided to sell due to a divorce. He also had matching hardware, swan leg stands etc etc.
I've always thought it cool that his parents worked for the company but he also validated the story I had read about that Rogers did indeed burn a load of beautiful shells because they didn't sell.
The rogue 16" 'Wildwood' floor tom is something I picked up hoping to add it to the existing drums to truly make 2 Wildwood kits but although at first glance it has the outward appearance of Wildwood, the colors are not the same and the grommet was sheared off at the top so it's merely a Rogers shell with the original finish removed and the outer ply stained to look similar to Wildwood (they did a good job, BTW but it's not the real deal).
So that's the story and I can post some pictures later if interested.

Peteinvicta1

Reaction score
Any chance you are interested in some Zildjian hats - either newer model 14" new beats like new or 80's 15" new beats? I've been longing for a 12/16 blue onyx!
I'd be interested in both the 14" New Beats and the 15" version but couldn't bring myself to part with the 16" blue onyx floor tom as it's part of the complete Londoner kit. Let me know what you would want for both sets of hats and also if you might be interested in some kind of snare as a trade or partial trade. I've got too many of those also!

Pre ‘72

Reaction score
I have a couple pair of Istanbul Agop hats (Signature and Turk).
Curious about your Leedy & Ludwig!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd be interested in both the 14" New Beats and the 15" version but couldn't bring myself to part with the 16" blue onyx floor tom as it's part of the complete Londoner kit. Let me know what you would want for both sets of hats and also if you might be interested in some kind of snare as a trade or partial trade. I've got too many of those also!
I meant the 12/20! I would love the 16, too, except I get that it's part of the other kit.

Peteinvicta1

Reaction score
I meant the 12/20! I would love the 16, too, except I get that it's part of the other kit.
Ahh, I see what you mean but glad we are on the same page about the floor tom!

I'll get some detailed pictures and background on both drums either tomorrow or Friday.

Thx,
Peter

Mackermanesq

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've got at least a couple of pre-serial number Paiste 602 20 inch cymbals if you want to trade something. PM me

Pre ‘72

Reaction score
I’m still interested in seeing those Leedys when you have chance.

I have some Agops to trade.

Powertone

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
About 5 years ago my son spotted a Wildwood kit for sale just north of LA so we went on a road trip (we live in San Diego). The kit had been owned by a guy whose parents both worked for Rogers (dad a machinist and mother on the assembly line) in Covington. He was 16 in 1967 which was the only year they produced this finish and his parents gave him a Wildwood kit that was saved from the pile of shells that Rogers destroyed due to poor sales for his birthday. That's why the configuration is unusual; two 20" bass drums (one with the double mount, one single with cymbal arm), three 12" toms and a 16" floor tom. Plus the matching Powertone.
The finish is still very vibrant because the guy who owned them played them for a year or so in High School but then joined the military and put them in storage for 30+ years until he decided to sell due to a divorce. He also had matching hardware, swan leg stands etc etc.
I've always thought it cool that his parents worked for the company but he also validated the story I had read about that Rogers did indeed burn a load of beautiful shells because they didn't sell.
The rogue 16" 'Wildwood' floor tom is something I picked up hoping to add it to the existing drums to truly make 2 Wildwood kits but although at first glance it has the outward appearance of Wildwood, the colors are not the same and the grommet was sheared off at the top so it's merely a Rogers shell with the original finish removed and the outer ply stained to look similar to Wildwood (they did a good job, BTW but it's not the real deal).
So that's the story and I can post some pictures later if interested.
I know the folks you got that set from, including the 16 y.o. Well he’s not 16 anymore.