header.nohb.html

Vintage Kit vs "Modern" Vintage Kit

culture trash

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I am on the hunt for some bigger drums (14x24 kick drum) for use with some of the more folky/americana music that I play/record. I am kicking around the idea of getting a vintage kit (60s/70s Ludwig, or similar era Gretsch), or one of the "modern" vintage lines, like Gretsch Broadkaster or some of the C&C lines. These would primarily be for the studio setting, but maybe an occasional gig. FYI, my current kits are a Brooklyn (14x20 kick, 7x10, 9x12, 14x14) and a Yamaha RC (14x22 kick, 9x12, 15x16). Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

culture trash

Reaction score
Inspect the vintage drums closely before handing over the dough .
Edges can be wonky and heads can fit too tight …..
This was part of my concern. In addition, I have read some forums where they talk about the unreliability of vintage hardware, and how the more "modern" vintage kits give you the best of both worlds. They definitely cost more!

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
modern vintage kits must include Gretsch USA Custom also) (just had to throw that in )...
I'm not saying that's what you should be buying (by no mean$)

Maybe you come across a Vintage Ludwig locally.. 22 or 24...
(you have modern covered) I think.

culture trash

Reaction score
what you already own is clouding it for me
going by what you own you have nothing vintage but it's close..
Yeah my kits kind of have one foot in the vintage side and then another foot in the modern. I feel like the true "modern" vintage kits, like Broadkasters, C&C, Sonor Vintage, etc., are full on "vintage" but with modern hardware. Plus, I just feel like vintage kits ("modern" and true vintage) tend to sound better IMO in those larger sizes.

culture trash

Reaction score
modern vintage kits must include Gretsch USA Custom also) (just had to throw that in )...
I'm not saying that's what you should be buying (by no mean$)

Maybe you come across a Vintage Ludwig locally.. 22 or 24...
(you have modern covered) I think.
So you think if I want vintage, I should just get true vintage, not one of the modern recreations?

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hey everyone! I am on the hunt for some bigger drums (14x24 kick drum) for use with some of the more folky/americana music that I play/record. I am kicking around the idea of getting a vintage kit (60s/70s Ludwig, or similar era Gretsch), or one of the "modern" vintage lines, like Gretsch Broadkaster or some of the C&C lines. These would primarily be for the studio setting, but maybe an occasional gig. FYI, my current kits are a Brooklyn (14x20 kick, 7x10, 9x12, 14x14) and a Yamaha RC (14x22 kick, 9x12, 15x16). Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
If you like your Brooklyn drums, why not order a new 14x24 BD, and maybe a 16x16 FT to go with it?

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
So you think if I want vintage, I should just get true vintage, not one of the modern recreations?
Yes.. a lot of the 'talk' about vintage 'hardware' is not insurmountable ( no pun) Except in a few cases where ' it's Impossible to replace holder (without major surgery..)

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
otoh there's, some slingerland some rogers some Premier..where you can't as easily replace hardwares- (or find acceptable original parts) I don't want to get too specific on the subject (as far as all the vintage brands) but some are Easier than others to get up running and semi modern)))))

culture trash

Reaction score
If you like your Brooklyn drums, why not order a new 14x24 BD, and maybe a 16x16 FT to go with it?
That was my first preference, but unfortunately, I cannot order the pieces in the matching wrap (purple glass), as they do not offer it anymore. The OCD in me can't deal with them not matching, so I feel like I just might as well get a different kit. Also, when I listened to the shootout on the drum center Portsmouth videos, I felt like the Broadkasters were hands down the best in those sizes...at least the kick was.

Reactions: JDA

culture trash

Reaction score
If you aren’t super picky about finishes and don’t mind some signs of use, you should be able to get 70’s Ludwigs for less than just a new Gretsch bass drum. Ludwig still sells just about all of the hardware that could possibly be broken
Yes.. a lot of the 'talk' about vintage 'hardware' is not insurmountable ( no pun) Except in a few cases where ' it's Impossible to replace holder (without major surgery..)
Both of these are great to hear...that calms my fears a bit. I've been drooling over some vintage Ludwig kits on Hawthorne Drum Shop's website, but that has been what is holding me back.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
That was my first preference, but unfortunately, I cannot order the pieces in the matching wrap (purple glass), as they do not offer it anymore. The OCD in me can't deal with them not matching, so I feel like I just might as well get a different kit. Also, when I listened to the shootout on the drum center Portsmouth videos, I felt like the Broadkasters were hands down the best in those sizes...at least the kick was.
One option, Precision Drum Co. can build you a drum with a Keller shell and any wrap and hardware you want.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
I’ve owned Hondas and Yamahas, but I’m sure a less reliable vintage Harley would make me cooler … until it breaks.
48D4964B-D1BF-4B60-8A1F-80272217CD49.jpeg

doubleroll

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would go modern vintage in a heartbeat…to many issues with true vintage gear as already mentioned And the task of finding a good solid kit as well. There are lots of great modern vintage to choose from, Sonor, Canopus, Gretsch, etc…good luck!

varatrodder

DFO Veteran
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
For new drums that really do capture a vintage sound without being overly expensive, I would suggest looking into the Pork Pie Hip Pig kits. They are very well built and sound amazing.