Vintage kits with two toms identical in size

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm posting this question in the "Vintage" section because I'm seeing this mostly with older kits. I was looking through an old Gretsch catalog from the late 1960s and noticed a pre-configured kit with two rack toms that are identical (9x13) in size. I've also noticed Steve Maxwell demoing vintage kits on his YT channel with two 16x16 floor toms, although it's not clear whether these kits were originally sold that way or he configured them himself with add-on drums. I'm curious about this trend. Is there a specific reason for having two identical toms rather than toms slightly different in size? Clearly, two identical toms can be tuned differently but is there an advantage of this arrangement over having two toms that differ slightly in diameter and depth?

drumsforme

Reaction score
You might be interested in this previous thread on here about two toms identical sizes.....Enjoy!

cochlea

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks! I knew I should've used the search function before posting my question. I've been thinking that if I ever wanted to add a second floor tom to my Ludwig Super Classic, it would be a much easier find, and much more economical, to purchase a second 16x16 since 14x14 floor toms are so difficult to come by in Oyster Black Pearl.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Buddy Rich almost always had two 16x16 floor toms although in later years he rarely used the second one as anything more than a towel table. His namesake catalog sets from Slingerland and Ludwig came standard with two 16s so there are a lot of "factory" setups with two 16's. Louie Bellson was another famous user of dual 16x16s.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The link above is good. Ludwig Hollywood sets from 64-65 came with two 12’s. The ‘64 catalog lists it accordingly. I have a ‘65 22/12/12/14 with matching JF and like it very much.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
The Hollywood kits that drumtimejohn mentioned actually go back a bit further. I've seen some late 50's Trans Badge kits with the dual 12s. My first vintage kit ( I still own it) is a 22/12/12/16/JF in Sky Blue Pearl. I love it. The two 12's sound nice together tuned just a bit apart.

Mike
sky blue family.jpg

Fullerton 9/72

Reaction score
My twin 5-ply Slingy floor toms have a wide tuning range. They can sound as different from each other, as my 16 and 18 Rogers Fullertons do. (Although, one sounds a tad better tuned low than the other does, with identical new heads.)

0 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

0-1 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

Here is Louis Belleson's 1979 "Black Gold" contest promo kit with two 16s. If he wanted an 18, he would have gotten one:

0 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The Hollywood kits that drumtimejohn mentioned actually go back a bit further. I've seen some late 50's Trans Badge kits with the dual 12s. My first vintage kit ( I still own it) is a 22/12/12/16/JF in Sky Blue Pearl. I love it. The two 12's sound nice together tuned just a bit apart.

Mike View attachment 453435
Now that is an awesome set Mike! Super cool!

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I play two 14x14 floor toms and I see no problem with tuning them differently. I can't say there's an advantage, but it works fine for me.
IMG_20191221_133118748.jpg

kdgrissom

Reaction score
Camco offered two mounted 8x12's standard on 5 piece kits until the LA years.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
During the early and mid-60's, dual 12" toms were the norm from most of the US drum makers. I recently purchased this 1965 Slingerland Modern Solo 2R kit, with dual 12" toms. All drums have been completely taken apart, as I decide what to do about the wrap. While not evident in these pictures, the wrap on every drum has micro cracks, causing a whitish look.

I've also had quite a few Buddy Rich outfits with dual 16" floor toms. I loved those sets!

-Mark

Attachments

Kenwood

Reaction score
I started this club date project with only a bass drum and two 12" toms
the bass drum and one of the 12"s had nickle hardware the second 12" tom had chrome
and the resonant side hardware and hoops were missing on all three drums
I was not planning to use both toms ....It just worked out that way.
with t
20190701_160011.jpg
P1010084.JPG

Last edited:

Bongo Brad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Didn’t Moon’s pictures of lily kit have three mounted toms the same size?

Guzowskip

Reaction score
I'm posting this question in the "Vintage" section because I'm seeing this mostly with older kits. I was looking through an old Gretsch catalog from the late 1960s and noticed a pre-configured kit with two rack toms that are identical (9x13) in size. I've also noticed Steve Maxwell demoing vintage kits on his YT channel with two 16x16 floor toms, although it's not clear whether these kits were originally sold that way or he configured them himself with add-on drums. I'm curious about this trend. Is there a specific reason for having two identical toms rather than toms slightly different in size? Clearly, two identical toms can be tuned differently but is there an advantage of this arrangement over having two toms that differ slightly in diameter and depth?
I bought and restored a 1969 Rogers Londoner kit which was originally delivered with two 9x13 mounted toms. They can be tuned separately without affecting playability. That said, I don't play them out but if I did I would play it as a 4-piece.

Attachments

Guzowskip

Reaction score
Wow, the red glitter has come out to play! :thumbright:

Cheers, to red glitter drums and those cool enough to own them! :occasion5:
Slingerland Frankenkit in Red Glitter Glass. All Slingerland shells but all from different sources. Kick started life as a 20x14 concert tom. 12 inch tom was wrapped in black and 15 floor tom started life as a marching snare. Both toms wrapped in red glitter glass from Precision drum. Lots of positive feedback on my go-to player's kit....

Attachments

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
My first set..acquired used..in 68/69 or so...
Clip tom mount (with wood part) BDP (Zildjians, Supra , cases, stands, etc. $225)
14x20
8x12
8x12
16x16
P9300012--2.jpg
P9300015.jpg

Last edited:

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice pic Joe. Typical for that era, all blurry and fuzzy, and you had to wait two weeks to see them! Ahhh, the good ol days! :)

Reactions: JDA

Latest posts