Vintage Ludwig 3-ply 24” Bass Drums

dingaling

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I went down a rabbit hole of watching George Fludas on his Bonham channel. His playing and kit sounds so good. He did a video of one of his 2 large Ludwig kits. This one has a 24”

I had posted a thread to see everyone’s 24” kick and there were some nice ones.

I got bit. Ended up ordering a Ludwig 70’s 3-ply 12, 13, 16 with 14x24 kick from a store that had one. Pics to follow on about a week. I haven’t quite figured out details like where will I store them… But I’ll figure it out.

This will be the biggest kick I’ve ever had or played.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Slingerland 70's 14x24 bass drum. I hardly use it. I do like to sit down with my vintage LM 402 and bust out Bonham beats once in awhile. I've also used it as a concert Bass with coated Ambassador heads. It worked pretty well. I don't think I could play more than a 22" in a band situation.

However your kit sounds awesome! Color? Pic?

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went years before I played a 24” , once I did . I pretty much used it exclusively for a good 10 years …..

Welcome to the cult !!!

little rock

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I played a gig once and used 24.14" rack tom and 18" FT. A friend that I played a lot with told me that was the best sounding set he had ever heard. I was thinking about the Indian and not the arrow. LOL

AtlantaDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I played a gig once and used 24.14" rack tom and 18" FT. A friend that I played a lot with told me that was the best sounding set he had ever heard. I was thinking about the Indian and not the arrow. LOL
The Ludwig 3 ply 14” rack toms sound awesome tuned up. Rarely seen around these days, but I like those a lot.

BRIAN

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I just carried a 24" 4-ply up and down stairs yesterday and was surprised how reasonable the weight was (I am only 60 years old) The thing goes off like a cannon. Always liked the 4 big assed arc spurs also, it makes it look like a big woofer while being played............

coastie

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A 14”x24” has always been my favorite sized bass drum. The three ply versions by Ludwig and Slingerland really stand out for me. I’ve got a Gretsch Broadkaster 24” on order. Hopefully, it measures up to the Ludwig and Slingerland 24” drums I’ve had previous experience with.

dingaling

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Out for delivery!
This is going to be epic.
I also found matching 10x14 and 16x18 toms.

So the kit will be Ludwig 3-ply 70’s era 8x12, 9x13, 10x14, 16x16FT, 16x18FT with 14x22BD.

It’s going to be big and deep. Ready for the Bonham experience.

dingaling

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Last month I ended up winning a Ludwig 70’s 15” blue oyster floor tom for my small micro kit as a second floor Tom.

I got it fairly cheap and was thinking of rewrapping it but the forum here advised not to do it. When I got the drum and saw it in person I ended up really liking the blue oyster wrap.

I’ve been toying with the idea of the 24” kick/Bonham kit for a bit now (even tho he mostly used a 26”). Then I saw a blue oyster kit pop up that was one owner and great condition so that’s the one I got. They aren’t super rare but they do seem to be getting expensive.

Just unpacked the toms.

BF757BF5-E3BF-4055-A71E-9842D26E17AA.jpeg

DragonCrestPC

Reaction score
Last month I ended up winning a Ludwig 70’s 15” blue oyster floor tom for my small micro kit as a second floor Tom.

I got it fairly cheap and was thinking of rewrapping it but the forum here advised not to do it. When I got the drum and saw it in person I ended up really liking the blue oyster wrap.

I’ve been toying with the idea of the 24” kick/Bonham kit for a bit now (even tho he mostly used a 26”). Then I saw a blue oyster kit pop up that was one owner and great condition so that’s the one I got. They aren’t super rare but they do seem to be getting expensive.

Just unpacked the toms.

View attachment 569741
Very awesome!

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Just unpacked the toms.

View attachment 569741
So happy to see this