Vintage Ludwig BB Dating

Eric S.

Reaction score

Recently acquired a 70's era Ludwig 5x14 Black Beauty Super Sensitive snare drum. Has some minor scratches/scuffs and the lacquer on the shell seems to be coming off in some sections, but otherwise is in beautiful condition and I'm stoked to finally own one! Has the pointed badge and the serial number - 1671111 which makes it a '77-'78? The shell is considerably heavier than the modern BB's I've compared with. Sounds great and I don't plan on parting with her anytime soon! If anyone has any additional knowledge regarding badge dating or recommendations for cleaning brass/bronze shells on vintage drums feel free to give me your feedback. Now I just have to find a case that'll fit this damned thing! :confused2:

Eric

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Lovely! I think your date is about right - online sources have 1.29M ending in 1976 and a 300K spread of #'s, so I would guess yours falls about 1978. I don't have the catalogs handy but they are online to confirm. Does yours have the "Seamless Brass Shell" sticker inside?

I am curious what others will say about the cleaning, though. I have a modern bronze BB with lacquer issues (spotting that looks like gold dots/pitting, but it is smooth unlike vintage Supra "acne") and a spot the size of 2 quarters where the black has rubbed off leaving a dark silvery metal finish.......

There is one listed used at GC, too, for $1,099.00.....looks nice!

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Note that shells of the era have a bit of a reputation for getting some pitting/corrosion under the clear coat. Therefore, I would be very gentle in cleaning the shell.
NOTHING abrasive or too harsh chemically, I only use a microfiber cloth on mine to wipe away fingerprints & dust with no cleaners.

Here's an example of the corrosion on mine. This is just below the collar line for the head (and this drum was always treated extremely well and honestly did a lot of "shelf" time as it wasn't always my primary snare).

Ludwig417BB_030_Sml.jpg

Eric S.

Reaction score
Lovely! I think your date is about right - online sources have 1.29M ending in 1976 and a 300K spread of #'s, so I would guess yours falls about 1978. I don't have the catalogs handy but they are online to confirm. Does yours have the "Seamless Brass Shell" sticker inside?

I am curious what others will say about the cleaning, though. I have a modern bronze BB with lacquer issues (spotting that looks like gold dots/pitting, but it is smooth unlike vintage Supra "acne") and a spot the size of 2 quarters where the black has rubbed off leaving a dark silvery metal finish.......

There is one listed used at GC, too, for $1,099.00.....looks nice!
My research has been mainly through online resources with badge identification/serial numbers so I'm grateful for the extra confirmation! Sadly there is no sticker to be seen, but I honestly can't complain about it (although I'm sure a lot of other people would!)

I've seen that GC ad and a few others posted on Reverb all varying in condition. You just can't beat the sound of a good ol' Lud!

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
BB94.jpg
BB5.jpg
That's not bad at all! Here are pics of my 80's large KB Monroe BB. I was not happy about the condition but got it (and other things) in a trade and it's a fine sounding drum.

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I found a couple of square cases that fit the SS strainers. Have to put them diagonal in snare case.
Wayne
IMG_1154.JPG
IMG_1150.JPG
IMG_1151.JPG
IMG_1152.JPG

Eric S.

Reaction score

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
I don't take my super-sensitive out of the house so this is an interesting predicament and I am surprised at least Ludwig doesn't make a special bag....nice solution!

DrumR69

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice bag but I would still be careful with a bag and the SS strainer hitting something.
Wayne

Latest posts