Vintage Ludwig date code Q......

KCDrumDad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score

I have been gathering information for several years about Date Codes. I can tell you that they were used in the 1971-72 time period.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
It's not a paper tag. Actually, I think I looked up the serial #58673 of the Standard drum and found the date code........thank you.

KCDrumDad

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have conflicting information on that drum. I have it on one list as a December XX 1971 date per the owner (Facebook listing from August 2018 from "Ludwig Standard Drum") and also as Date Code 21717 (eBay listing bonzofan14-26 in a 2017 auction).
Is the 12717 stamped on your drum directly?

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
KC: It's a hot mess - 8 lug "jazz fest" type. No wrap (removed and a bad paint job!), has a white interior with no date stamp (or paper label), 8 chrome bow ties (with modern screws w/out cups), a P85 black face (2 holes on bottom), a P83 block logo (missing the back bar/screws), it has 2 extra holes (someone added a Luddy bracket?), missing the muffler, aftermarket COS hoops, and the Standard badge was reapplied. For what I paid, it was a deal in parts alone and I can make it something. It does sound good.

Other than the 2 holes, the shell looks good - it needs slight work. Obviously, the outside is painful, but I will strip the paint tonight to see what I have to work with but it's definitely a mahogany outer as it is visible. I would hate to cover that up so I am not sure what color direction I will go.....I'll post pics later but it is scary compared to what you posted!.....thank you.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
A mess right now, but that drum is a Jazz Fest just waiting to happen.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
It was ugly when my DFO buddy got it. He said the finish was shot, and the outer shell damaged - I can now see the damage where the old wrap took some outer veneer off leaving gouges. However, he got parts to fix it up but it's pretty much hopeless so I scored it. I will put a lot of time into it to try and save this one.....so far, the first coat of stripper barely did anything....a 2nd coat is on for a 24 hour bath........to be continued.