Vintage Ludwig gold sparkle

Reaction score
Hi all been a while since I posted here. I wanted to share my recent acquisition.

An old Ludwig set that has been rewrapped in a gold sparkle wrap. This set kinda fell into my lap as I didn't pay anything for it. The seller was interested in a set of Zildjian cymbals so we straight up traded.

After doing some research I found out these are old Rockers/Rocker II. At some point the lugs were also swapped out for the Classic lugs

When I acquired the set I replaced the spurs as the threads were stripped out, replaced the rusted hoops, replaced the lug Inserts (some were even the wrong thread), replaced the heads and got some repro badges. All in all I think this will make a nice players kit and maybe play out

What do you think? Also if anyone recognizes this set and can shed some light on her story I would appreciate it as I'm still researching.

Attachments

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thats a nice looking set, and its great you didnt have to shell out any cash. I personally might have been disturbed to find out they were rockers with classic lugs swapped in tho. But you did a VERY nice job in restoring that set and I think it will look great when you play out. Great job!

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thats a nice looking set, and its great you didnt have to shell out any cash. I personally might have been disturbed to find out they were rockers with classic lugs swapped in tho. But you did a VERY nice job in restoring that set and I think it will look great when you play out. Great job!
Didn’t some rockers have classic lugs and the rocker 2 have different lugs

Reaction score
Nice kit! The gold sparkle wrap looks great! Are you sure the lugs were swapped out and not original? I ask this as I had a factory original Rocker II that came with Classic lugs!

-Mark
That's interesting I just assumed they had the Standard lugs.

I'm beginning to wonder if they applied the same method with their hardware as they did with their shells....factory imperfections made usable

1988fxlr

Reaction score
Didn’t some rockers have classic lugs and the rocker 2 have different lugs
I think its the other way around. I had some rockers with a natural interior (which I believe makes them the original series). They had the plain looking lugs like an old standard set

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think its the other way around. I had some rockers with a natural interior (which I believe makes them the original series). They had the plain looking lugs like an old standard set
O wow see I have a b/w rocker floor Tom with regular classic lugs the rockers with the giant badge sticker thing I see regular lugs

1988fxlr

Reaction score
O wow see I have a b/w rocker floor Tom with regular classic lugs the rockers with the giant badge sticker thing I see regular lugs
Mine had the black and white badges, natural interior and standard style lugs, I think it was a Rockers, not Rockers 2, but I’m no expert

bassanddrum84

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Mine had the black and white badges, natural interior and standard style lugs, I think it was a Rockers, not Rockers 2, but I’m no expert
I think the rockers 2 had the big swaure sticker badge ? Not sure

1988fxlr

Reaction score
I think the rockers 2 had the big swaure sticker badge ? Not sure
I vaguely recall seeing a low end ludwig set from the 90’s with square sticker badges and continuous lugs that were like a flatter mach 5 lug, but my memory is not to be trusted

1988fxlr

Reaction score
Just started looking at catalog scans from another site. It looks like rockers kept the clear interiors and rocker ii had the coated and coexisted around 1986. 1994ish a new series of rockers with sticker badges and pearl style mounts show up

1988fxlr

Reaction score
It also appears that a more modern tom mount appeared by the 1988 catalog that wasn’t in the 1986 so If the mount is original 1987 would seem to be the newest date for them. The 1984 catalog is just showing rockers with a natural interior, no ii so 85-87 seems to be your window

Reaction score
Did the Rocker or Rocker II have the speckled paint interior? Which ever one had that paint is the one I have. Whatever rejected Classic shells

Before I upgraded the spur I had the Rocker II spur but someone swapped in the Classic lugs I'm assuming

1988fxlr

Reaction score
From what I can gather, speckled paint makes it a rocker ii

Reaction score
Well I'm basically done with the set. I just have to get the Ludwig vent grommets and the tool to install them. Should be here in a few days but I'm playing the set and it sounds great definitely 80s sounding

Ludwig is really making it difficult to play my Pearl set

Attachments

SKSMITH

Reaction score
From what I can gather, speckled paint makes it a rocker ii
The speckled interior & the straight disappearing spurs on the bass.
The Rocker / Rocker II was standard with with Standard style lugs, but like the older Standard line, some shipped with Classic lugs.
The shells for both were the same as the Classic series of the time. The Rocker II's has coating to hide ugly plies, from what I've heard / read.
Other than cheaper / older styled hardware (this was during the time when Classic's were fitted with Modular hardware), these are the same as Classics. I refinished an old set I found in a weird finish called "Blue Metal" from Jammin Sam. That was the worst wrap I have ever used, but the drums do sound great.
Ludwig Rockers.JPG