Vintage Ludwig Help!!!! Supraphonic?

Pancho12

Reaction score
Hi forum! This is my first post so please bare with me... I recently purchased a ludwig snare and I need a lot of help identifying it! I can’t tell when the model is from or what the model of this snare is. Originally I thought it was a supraphonic, but as I did more research, I found it to be the only one like it. The lugs didn’t match other supraphonics I was looking at and the badge is a Chicago badge, but I haven’t seen any snare with that badge that says Chicago. All help is welcome and I’d just like to know the type of snare it is, the year it’s from, and how much it’s worth, I hope I didn’t get scammed. Thank you everyone!
81A9D566-50B6-4485-BC87-649EAA234362.jpeg

Attachments

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yes, these are the last of the Chicago ('84/'85) drums, made from whatever parts they had on the shelf, right before they moved to Monroe NC. 100% legit and correct drum. They are kind of "entry level" collectible drum as they were only made in this configuration for a very short time/run, and there are no records of how many that were made (no surprise from Ludwig). The value really hasn't risen much above "normal" imperial lug Supraphonic quite yet.

Last edited:

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Rotarded is right on the money on this, I'd say. I want to add that the drum in that configuration is fairly uncommon, and it looks like your shell is mostly acne-free, which is a blessing with these chrome-over-aluminum shells. I have a "correct" 6.5 Chicago big Keystone badge Supra, same era as yours, and it too is acne-free. Plus, you've got the Ludalloy sticker!
Cool drum.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
My '65 6.5x14 Supra is acne free but I've had plenty vintage ones and newer ones (even Monroe badges) that had acne.... you think after 60 years, they'd get the plating right!

On my 70's LM402, I actually like the pitting. It makes it down and dirty and since it's a Bonham tribute snare, it's perfect.

Latest posts