Vintage Ludwig Identification

CamachDrums13

Reaction score
I recently bought a set of green sparkle Ludwigs. There seem to be some inconsistencies with these drums and they were bought from a music shop where they had been sitting for many years and the owner (not a drummer) didn’t know anything about them beyond the original who the owner was.
The sizes are 12x8, 14x14, and 18x14 (bass). Two of the drums (bass and floor tom) have a transitional badge, and the rack Tom very obviously has an old keystone badge that I believe to be not originally on it. There are also after market Pearl style bass drum legs. There are no markings on the inner shells either. The all three drums have re-rings. The floor tom has WFL spring loaded height adjusters, the bass drum a rail style Ludwig mount and the rack Tom a plate to attach to the rail mount. Both toms have double mufflers inside. Bass drum inner shell has an off white colour and the two toms have natural wood color inner shells. Any help on identification would be appreciated, I can upload more pictures if necessary.

Attachments

Last edited:

kallen49

Reaction score
My pioneer snare has that transitional badge and stamped date 1958. I’m under the impression that badge wa only used late 50’s until about 1960?
My snare has mahogany interior, not painted, maple re-rings.

Yea maybe rewrapped but very desirable drums especially if the price was right?

fishaa

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Whoa.
Hard to tell about the rewrap from here. Need to see if the wrap goes into the scarf joint or if the grommets have been messed with on the inside. My gut is they’re original. (!)
Even if rewrapped, you have some NICE, rare drums there. Congrats.

CamachDrums13

Reaction score
My pioneer snare has that transitional badge and stamped date 1958. I’m under the impression that badge wa only used late 50’s until about 1960?
My snare has mahogany interior, not painted, maple re-rings.

Yea maybe rewrapped but very desirable drums especially if the price was right?
Thank you for those insights! And yes I’ve been eyeing them for years I was able to get them for a grand even.

Myk

Reaction score
The spur on the bass (what you can see of it),is not original, can you post better pics of the spurs?

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Awesome deal and killer sizes for that price! My transition snare is from Oct 1960 with red stamp in a mahogany interior. The wrap looks old but I agree, look at the scarf joint.

fishaa

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A transition badged drum, I don't think, would have a white painted interior.
Good eye!! I thought it was just the bass drums that were clear interiors. But I’m not 100% on that.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
The two pics that I see that show badge grommets...the grommets appear to be bent, usually indicating a "possible" rewrap. Like mentioned, checking the scarf joints to see if the wrap is tucked into the shell will help identify original or rewrap. The cymbal mount on the bass drum is several years later, but they do utilize the same hole pattern as the earlier model. I do have a Transition badge 13" tom with original white resacote interior. There are some out there. Either way, very desirable set of drums right. Enjoy them!

Mike

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
another Perry Mason...episode! Bass drum is from 67? .that makes sense..sort of ; ) You'll be ok..

" I think the toms are from 59"
" Sir you're out of order!"..

You ever see that Perry Mason where the lady says " I couldn't have been at that murder I was with a drummer we were in a car Rally"
"Your honor"
"Strike that!"..

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yea You got two pieces of a Pair there.. newer bass (who) ever heard of a 14x18 in 59 Ludwig and 59 Tom Tom Toms...

"and I like to put 20$ on number 7 Fred Roll the dice!"

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Yea You got two pieces of a Pair there.. newer bass (who) ever heard of a 14x18 in 59 Ludwig and 59 Tom Tom Toms...

"and I like to put 20$ on number 7 Fred Roll the dice!"
I have a best friend that has a Transition badge kit with an 18 bass drum. Few and far between but do exist.

fishaa

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That the wrap on the bass drum doesn’t go to the edge indicates rewrap as well.

But let’s have a shot of the entire edge of each drum!!

Latest posts