Vintage Ludwig Identification

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
I think the 2 toms may be original transition badge, but the bass being white inside, stamped 1967 and the wrap not going to the top tell me 1) mismatched set, 2) rewrap.
Still cool, though......

CamachDrums13

Reaction score
Thanks for all your expertise everyone, I’ll upload the edges soon when I change the heads out.

CamachDrums13

Reaction score
Will do! My first set of truly vintage drums (my Sonor hilites from the late 80’s didn’t require any elbow grease), looking forward to getting him in tip top shape. Any tips for cleaners and or detailing techniques? I’m sure there’s probably many threads on the topic here.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I'm going with re-wrap as well. The hardware and badges have a bit of a well used look and green sparkle never held it's color well unless the drums were locked away. The sun turns them almost gold. The wrap around 1959-60 for sparkles was also a transition wrap. In the 50's and earlier they used a glitter sparkle. In the late 50's through 1960 the wrap looked like it had a black background to it. The sparkles were quite dense on this version but a close look would reveal a black background. Soon after the wrap was changed to the common sparkle wrap that we all know now. This looks like newer wrap to me. You can also see where the grommet has been messed with leaving marks in the shell. 14x14 from the late 50's are actually pretty rare. It would be cool to look st the scarf joint and see what was on there. the 18" 1967 bass makes sense to me but it really does sound like these were pieced together. On the flip side, they look really cool and are great sizes. I hope you got a good deal on these.

kallen49

Reaction score
Unless the edges are so bad the drum can’t be tuned I would leave them as is. I’d use ambassadors top & bottom.
I restored a 1969 club date bass drum last year. The original finish was almost completely peeled off.
It may be unusual being 20” x 14” but never had legs or a Tom mount.
I removed all hardware and soaked it overnight in blue dawn dish soap. (see Ytube). Then polished with “Neverdull“ polishing wadding. Worked great.
Oiled and repacked the springs in the lugs.
Painted the drum, use with DW hoop mount spurs. Sold my Yamaha kits.

Myk

Reaction score
Good that those spurs are an aftermarket ratcheting type so hopefully no big holes were drilled, with a little luck the existing screw holes were used and no extra screw holes were made:wav:

CamachDrums13

Reaction score
Unless the edges are so bad the drum can’t be tuned I would leave them as is. I’d use ambassadors top & bottom.
I restored a 1969 club date bass drum last year. The original finish was almost completely peeled off.
It may be unusual being 20” x 14” but never had legs or a Tom mount.
I removed all hardware and soaked it overnight in blue dawn dish soap. (see Ytube). Then polished with “Neverdull“ polishing wadding. Worked great.
Oiled and repacked the springs in the lugs.
Painted the drum, use with DW hoop mount spurs. Sold my Yamaha kits.
Thank you for the insight and restoration tips. Edges are pretty good drums tune up okay but they strange old heads on them, gonna do ambassador top and bottom and go from their. Got them for 1000$ even.

Myk

Reaction score
Could you post some pictures of the inside of the bass?,especially where the spurs are attached, I agree, that's a cool little kit

woody1953

Reaction score
Could the bass actually be a 18" floor converted as a bass? That would explain the aftermarket spurs and mounts. Also, from the factory, the bass tension rods would be "wing" type.

CamachDrums13

Reaction score
Could the bass actually be a 18" floor converted as a bass? That would explain the aftermarket spurs and mounts. Also, from the factory, the bass tension rods would be "wing" type.
Yeah I had that thought, and I agree about the tension rods. But it clearly has two holes where the original BD legs were, and I don’t see any holes that would indicate the presence the floor Tom leg/height adjusters, and it has a cymbal arm mount.

Latest posts