Vintage Ludwig Info?

Sun shy

Reaction score
I've always regretted selling my old orange sparkle Ludwig set when I was younger. Now that I'm old myself, I'd like to get an old Ludwig kit again to match. I found this one local listed for $450. I'm not a collector so as long as they look ok and sound good, I'll be happy. But since I don't know anything about vintage Ludwig drums (I'm assuming these are), I thought I'd post here and get some thoughts. Are these a good deal? Would it take too much work to get them into playable shape? Any info would be appreciated.

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They are a very good deal. Perhaps worth 2.5-3x what you paid. Looks like a ‘67 Black Diamond Pearl in Hollywood 22/12/13(12)/16/14 sizes. Although the center post is not in line with the badge it still may be original. Interiors should be white. Badge looks original so the wrap is likely too. Supraphonic snare is probably worth half or more of the price and it’s great that it was left all intact. I gather the tension rods are bagged with the hoops so outside of new heads looks like you are all set. Congrats!

Last edited:

cwdrums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Condition and parts are a big price factor. Heads for all the drums could set you back $200 give or take. Are the bass hoops and center post mount included, did not see them in the pix. That's another $100 give or take. Look them over good and get some idea of what's there and what's missing. Congrats on getting into some vintage tubs. Welcome to the forum and let us know what you decide to do.
Coy

Sun shy

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Why do you think the inside was painted orange? Why wouldn’t the center post match with the badge?

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
The drums are from the psychedelic era and you wonder why the insides were painted orange?? Lol just kidding. People do some really crazy stuff to drum sets. At least this damage can be fixed and from the outside the drums will still look great. Nice find!

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. Why do you think the inside was painted orange? Why wouldn’t the center post match with the badge?
Both the badge and the holder base should be centered on the very top of the drum. Since they don't quite line up with each other in the photo one of them must be off a bit ( preferably the badge). Usually this means that the tom mount was added later. That's not 100% though as the factory sometimes didn't get things perfectly lined up. Not really a major issue as long as the tom support isn't jutting out of the drum at some extreme weird angle.

During the era when it was popular to remove reso heads and use the drums single headed it was very common for drummers to paint ( or repaint) the interiors of their drums. Generally you see them done in black but of course it all depends on whatever the owner that chose to paint them thought would look "cool".

Repaint the interiors the original white, ignore the slight placement discrepancy and enjoy these fine looking drums.

airborneSFC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Great looking drums and if it bothers you I would repaint the inside of the drums. If you need tips or advice on repainting the inside let me know. Many of us have repainted the inside of Ludwig drums. I have proof that I am on an OCD level of detail when it comes to making the inside of repainted drums looking as original as possible.

Bottom line is you got a great deal regardless of any modifications which won't affect how they sound.

jptrickster

DFO Master
Reaction score
Badges of that era were often off center 1/2 inch. I’ve had a few just like that. I’ve got entire matching factory kits with all the all the badges off center

Sun shy

Reaction score
Welp... I got 'em! They were in much better shape than I thought, though still have some issues (small cracks on the bearing edge of a couple of the drums) and the tom mount post is missing. I'll probably just mount one on a snare stand anyway. Snare drum looks to be in pretty good condition once I clean it up. Bass drum hoops need to be repainted. The inside of the drums were painted pretty nicely, so I might leave it since I'll be doing other work on it already. Super excited to get this thing up and running! Eat your heart out Ringo. :tongue3:

P.S. if anyone can point me to a good link on restoring drums, that would help a lot. I just want to play them, not flip them so I'm not looking to be too OCD about it :) But still want to respect the history of these drums.

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Resto and Rehab section on this site. Also, just doing a general topic search can yield great results.

Ludwigboy

Reaction score
Welp... I got 'em! They were in much better shape than I thought, though still have some issues (small cracks on the bearing edge of a couple of the drums) and the tom mount post is missing. I'll probably just mount one on a snare stand anyway. Snare drum looks to be in pretty good condition once I clean it up. Bass drum hoops need to be repainted. The inside of the drums were painted pretty nicely, so I might leave it since I'll be doing other work on it already. Super excited to get this thing up and running! Eat your heart out Ringo. :tongue3:

P.S. if anyone can point me to a good link on restoring drums, that would help a lot. I just want to play them, not flip them so I'm not looking to be too OCD about it :) But still want to respect the history of these drums.
Great drums and love that Black Diamond Pearl wrap! Maybe it is just me but I don't see the Hollywood model set up often in the Black Diamond Pearl wrap.
A couple suggestions...
1) for that missing tom mount post, you may want to run an ad on this Forum in the Wanted section for a double tom mount post for a 67 Ludwig Hollywood bass drum; I'm sure someone would help you out including vintage drum dealers here.
2) also you can ask for information on repairing the bearing edge cracks in the Vintage Venue section of this Forum (this is where you posted your original post here)

You will find a lot of knowledgeable and friendly people on this site! Best of luck!

Last edited:

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
They look pretty nice as they sit (at least in the photos) but if you want to polish up the wrap get some Novus 2

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Are they cracks or just scarf joints where the wrap laps into the shell? Pics here and/or the resto area might help.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you can squeeze the crack together, then get a thin spatula or putty knife, wedge it carefully open, and apply wood glue (I like Tite Bond red label). Then clamp it down. You will probably need some wood filler in the gap afterwards, too. If you can't squeeze it together, it's more superficial, so just use the wood filler........

Great kit, BTW, and a great price!

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Both I think. Here are some pics.
Top looks like a scarf joint and the bottom has reinforcement ring separation. Although a scarf joint can have separation too I believe it’s much better than the other situation. Both are pretty reasonable to fix and of little concern.

Sun shy

Reaction score
Got the snare apart. Saw there is some "kruft" where the batter head was (it was really stuck in there) and maybe some small pitting? Any ideas how to best clean this? Read a few posts on how, but also read that you don't want to rub off the stamp that says 1967 (so I'm guessing no soaking in Dawn?). I'm not interested in restoring, just cleaning and putting some sort of finish on it to prevent further krufting ;)

Latest posts