Vintage Ludwig Info?

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yep, I don’t recommend “soaking” the drum shell. I typically just use chrome polish and a scratch resistant cloth/cotton. The polish acts to clean as well. Because the chrome can easily scratch I don’t even mess with Dawn at your stage. Remember these shells flake and agitating the shell too much can speed that unfortunate process up. Cleaning/polishing lightly with a slow patient approach has helped. It can even be therapeutic or help you train for your next karate match. I also only wipe down the inside shell with a damp cloth and of course avoid the date stamp entirely. I’m more intense when cleaning the hardware.

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looks sharp! Good Supras really clean up well and yours is no exception. With the date, it is what it is. No stamp ever made my rolls better. Look forward to seeing your efforts on the rest of the kit. Again, congrats!

Ludwigboy

Reaction score
Welp... I got 'em! They were in much better shape than I thought, though still have some issues (small cracks on the bearing edge of a couple of the drums) and the tom mount post is missing. I'll probably just mount one on a snare stand anyway. Snare drum looks to be in pretty good condition once I clean it up. Bass drum hoops need to be repainted. The inside of the drums were painted pretty nicely, so I might leave it since I'll be doing other work on it already. Super excited to get this thing up and running! Eat your heart out Ringo. :tongue3:

P.S. if anyone can point me to a good link on restoring drums, that would help a lot. I just want to play them, not flip them so I'm not looking to be too OCD about it :) But still want to respect the history of these drums.
Glad you found the tom mount post!