Vintage Ludwig Kit

Ryandrummer26

Reaction score
I have a vintage ludwig drum kit I’ve owned for about 3 years now. Was curious as to how I can tell if its a 70’s or 80’s kit as I never really knew and I want to finally find out. Would anyone on here be able to tell me? Pics attached

Attachments

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
It does look recovered and the spurs look newer. We would need more pics to tell. Close ups of the badges, and interior shots would help. The black pearl in this pic almost looks kind of purple and I would not be surprised if this was a recover job as ludwig black pearl looks black.

Ryandrummer26

Reaction score
It does look recovered and the spurs look newer. We would need more pics to tell. Close ups of the badges, and interior shots would help. The black pearl in this pic almost looks kind of purple and I would not be surprised if this was a recover job as ludwig black pearl looks black.
Yeah the shop i bought it from had it rewrapped and the spurs were replaced for newer ones. Ill take close ups later today and post them

Ryandrummer26

Reaction score

CaptainCrunch

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Where Black is the color, where None is the number
Okay, so original early-to-mid-70's Mach lug kit. I don't see pics of the bass interior to see what the original mount was, but at the least it's a rewrap with spurs swapped out and at least one badge screwed down.... Is the bass a 22" or 24"? And what's the inside of it look like (specifically the 12 o'clock/badge panel)?

I'll be really honest - it's not worth a ton. A virgin or rail mount 24" could kick it up to maaaaaaaaybe $500 for me, but I'd be factoring new wrap & plugging spur holes into my offer. A double post 22" would see me walk away much past $350. Pearl mount holes of something like that would get me to an offer so potentially hurtful ($250-ish or less) I'd probably just wish you "good luck & god bless ye laddie" and a high-five.

bfulton

Reaction score
Agree with what’s been said.
But having said that, it’s not a bad looking kit. You picture of the kit looks presentable.
Check what’s selling in your area, ask a fair price, and be honest about the history. It could work very well for someone who needs a mild upgrade or a second kit.