Vintage Ludwig LM402 vs 6.5" Blackrolite

andlours

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I currently own a late 70s Ludwig LM402. It's a workhorse of a snare and sounds great, but recently I've been bouncing around the idea of selling it. These snares are going for an excellent price on the used market (~$700) and I don't have any real sentimental attachment to the drum. I also own a more modern COB 6.5"x14" supra that was my first real professional snare drum and does hold some sentimental value.

That being said, I've been eyeing used 6.5" x 14" blackrolites. It seems like they typically sell for under $400 and everyone loves how they sound. Do you guys think it would be wise to sell my vintage LM402, pocket some cash, and buy a 6.5" x 14" blackrolite? I owned a 5" x14" blackro and loved it, but I sold it since I prefer 6.5" metal snares. Interested to hear everyone's thoughts.

dirtysicks

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
From my experience with the two, they don't sound "the same" but they both sound great and are pretty close. I would make that sell and pocket the extra money personal... actually, I would probably buy more drums lol

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I currently own a late 70s Ludwig LM402. It's a workhorse of a snare and sounds great, but recently I've been bouncing around the idea of selling it. These snares are going for an excellent price on the used market (~$700) and I don't have any real sentimental attachment to the drum. I also own a more modern COB 6.5"x14" supra that was my first real professional snare drum and does hold some sentimental value.

That being said, I've been eyeing used 6.5" x 14" blackrolites. It seems like they typically sell for under $400 and everyone loves how they sound. Do you guys think it would be wise to sell my vintage LM402, pocket some cash, and buy a 6.5" x 14" blackrolite? I owned a 5" x14" blackro and loved it, but I sold it since I prefer 6.5" metal snares. Interested to hear everyone's thoughts.
Timely post. I have the same thoughts. But in this case I have the 6.5 10 lug brushed everywhere Acrolite that I bought mostly for the finish. I don't buy a lot of personal collectable stuff but I did this; the price is relatively cheap and I love the look. . And honestly, I like the sound of the brushed better. It's a little drier, doesn't have as much honk as the 402. And yes, as I get older I'll probably sell the 402 and start playing the brushed drum on gigs if I want that sound. As it is right now I'm not really a 6.5 user at all except for the rare jazz gig I do. I like the snap of the 5 or 5.5

So yeah, for the price of a 6.5 Blackrolite it's hard to go wrong. Good luck with your decision..

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
Funny,ive had all those mentioned,402,6.5 Blackro and the newer 6.5 brushed,they all sound similar and great.
I sold the 402 and the brushed,imo,it had no visual snap for me although sounded closer to the 402.
The 6.5 Blackro is the one for me,it delivers all that the others have plus a punch the others did not,that finish dampens some freqs and seems to allow others to talk.
No science,just mho.
The Blackro i got for $140 at the pawnshop.

kallen49

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Do you guys think it would be wise to sell my vintage LM402, pocket some cash, and buy a 6.5" x 14" blackrolite?
Yes. I sold my 1974 Supra and kept my 6.5” Blacrolite (is there a more undervalued Ludwig snare drum?).

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'd sell it and get the Blacrolite. To me that's the best sounding Acrolite. I've got one and never have thought about selling it. And I think your "more modern" Supra sounds as good as the old one. The old one has nothing special soundwise against the new one. At least that's how I hear it! So instead of having two very similar drums, get rid of the non-sentimental one and get that awesome Black Galaxy acro. You'll end up with two fantastic & different sounding snares plus some money left over.
LRod

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What era? I love my '65 KB 6.5" with no pitting! I also love my B/O LM402 with many warts and all! They pretty much fundamentally sound the same (B/O is the Bonham setup) and I have only played a 5x14 Blackro, which didn't sound like a Supra, but was much beefier than an Acro. End of the day, I'd want to know condition and badge of your LM402. May be worth keeping and buying the Blackro.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Make sure you can find a 6.5 Blacro first though. The newer aluminum finish models can still be purchased new and used on any given day, 6.5 Blacros not so much. Good luck.

Mike

p83

DFO Master
Reaction score
Make sure you can find a 6.5 Blacro first though. The newer aluminum finish models can still be purchased new and used on any given day, 6.5 Blacros not so much. Good luck.

Mike
man speaks truth.

andlours

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great advice guys. I really do appreciate it. It's interesting to see that most everyone is leaning towards me selling the LM402 and trying to find a 6.5 blacro. I know it'll be tough to find a 6.5" blacro, but I also definitely don't "need" it. I have plenty of other drums to play until one pops up for sale.

What era? I love my '65 KB 6.5" with no pitting! I also love my B/O LM402 with many warts and all! They pretty much fundamentally sound the same (B/O is the Bonham setup) and I have only played a 5x14 Blackro, which didn't sound like a Supra, but was much beefier than an Acro. End of the day, I'd want to know condition and badge of your LM402. May be worth keeping and buying the Blackro.
Mine is the B/O Bonham drum and it has no pitting at all. It has a scratch on one panel and the throw knob is a tiny bit bent, but other than that, it's in amazing shape. If I do sell it, I'll never buy another true 70s LM402 though, just because I'd never be willing to pay the premium these drums demand.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd keep it but it's your call......its more likely you'll find a Blackro vs. a very nice B/O badge despite the scratch unless it's bad. The knob can be fixed sort of or swapped out.

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
^^^ Nice drum!
I'd suggest, if it's within your budget, getting the Blackro first before selling the 402. That way you can have the drums go head-to-head in an sound environment you're familiar with.
Then it will be a much easier decision as to which drum to let go/hang on to.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a pretty sweet LM402! That's not a scratch.....'tis just a flesh wound!

And I like the idea of getting the Blackro and then doing an A/B video (hint hint.....).....then a final decision.

andlours

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys. I really appreciate the help. I think you're right in keeping the LM402 until I can find a nice blackrolite. I'll keep this thread updated on if I can find one or not. I've always love the look of the black galaxy finish also.

jaymandude

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments guys. I really appreciate the help. I think you're right in keeping the LM402 until I can find a nice blackrolite. I'll keep this thread updated on if I can find one or not. I've always love the look of the black galaxy finish also.
Is there a window on when the 6.5 Blacrolites were made ?

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
They were made in Monroe after the move from Chicago. So at least 90's through 2012 for sure. Maybe a few years prior to '90 and not sure about post 2012.

Mike

Matched Gripper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I would keep the Supra. A 70’s Supra in good shape is a lifetime keeper, IMO. The Blackro is a great drum, but, doesn’t replace the Supra. JMO!