Vintage Ludwig Twin Channel Die-Cast Hoops

RyanLovesDrums

Reaction score
I read a little while ago that one of Manu Katche’s secrets back in the day was to throw a Ludwig twin channel die cast hoop on his snare batter. I checked them out on eBay and they were super pricey but months later one came up that was more affordable so I got it. I put it on my old Pearl COB snare and it sounds pretty good. It’s heavy as heck but it has a nice feel. Anyone else have any experience with these things?

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I always wanted to try the TCDC hoops on my Coliseum, but never got around to purchasing them.

I do have them on a 6.5"x14" hammered Bz, and really love the sound of that combo. I also purchased a pair of the TCDC hoops to put on my vintage BB, but I haven't yet put them on as a newer Birdseye maple snare is always on the stand (it has the newer style DC hoops).

I compared the triple flange and TCDC hoops with a simple suspension and 'tap' test. I found the TF hoop had a most unmusical thuddy clang without sustain, while the TC hoop rang out. Once either hoop is attached to it will have a different effect to the timbre of the shell. Some folks love the TCDC while other hate 'em. I dig the DC hoops, and like both the TC and new variants, especially for rimshots/sidestick.

RyanLovesDrums

Reaction score
I always wanted to try the TCDC hoops on my Coliseum, but never got around to purchasing them.

I do have them on a 6.5"x14" hammered Bz, and really love the sound of that combo. I also purchased a pair of the TCDC hoops to put on my vintage BB, but I haven't yet put them on as a newer Birdseye maple snare is always on the stand (it has the newer style DC hoops).

I compared the triple flange and TCDC hoops with a simple suspension and 'tap' test. I found the TF hoop had a most unmusical thuddy clang without sustain, while the TC hoop rang out. Once either hoop is attached to it will have a different effect to the timbre of the shell. Some folks love the TCDC while other hate 'em. I dig the DC hoops, and like both the TC and new variants, especially for rimshots/sidestick.
Do you think they go better on deeper snare drums? My Pearl is 5x14 and has a 1.6mm TF hoop on the bottom I believe. I always just do the die-cast on the batter only because of the Stewart Copeland influence. Been messing with the tuning to get it most responsive. Before I just had a gretsch die cast on there which you know is lot less mass than the TC.

Last edited:

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Do you think they go better on deeper snare drums? My Pearl is 5x14 and has a 1.6mm TF hoop on the bottom I believe. I always just do the die-cast on the batter only because of the Stewart Copeland influence. Been messing with the tuning to get it most responsive. Before I just had a gretsch die cast on there which you know is lot more low key than the TC.
Hmmmm... that first question is so hard for me to answer as shell depth and hardware choices are so personal.
I prefer the timbre from 6.5" --> 8" shells (based on what I really own). I prefer lower timbre, so my shell preference order is usually wood; copper/bronze; brass and aluminum equally. I did own a L400 Supra but only had it for a few months before selling it to help purchase a 6.5" BB.

I have been intrigued by the DC batter hoop and TF snare hoop but have never mixed the two myself as I guess I really prefer the symmetry/aesthetics of matching the hoops. But, it is a great way to slightly alter the timbre of the drum. I have seen videos of an engineer that doing some research and he measure the tone of raw shell, then with the lugs, then with one and finally both hoops attached, and you could see a change in frequency with each of the variables, thus a objective measure in the effect of hardware on shell timbre.

I have had a bias towards those TCDC hoops but I have really satisfied with the newer/slimmer DC variants!

rsq911

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am a huge fan! I do prefer the original twin channel over the second gen when they were solid magnesium (very light), on the later marching snares. They appear the same with the exception of polished over plated.

RyanLovesDrums

Reaction score
I am a huge fan! I do prefer the original twin channel over the second gen when they were solid magnesium (very light), on the later marching snares. They appear the same with the exception of polished over plated.
How can I tell which one I have?

rsq911

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
How can I tell which one I have?
The twin channels are chrome plated, are cast metal, and on the underside you can see the open space with supports all the way around. Picture of the white high volume challenger.

On the later marching Vector and USA Free Floater, they used polished and powder coated magnesium that is solid, so when you flip them over, there is no channel. Picture of the BDP coliseum.

They phased out the chrome twin channels around 1994.

Attachments

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What a cool trip down memory lane. I remember seeing a pair of those for sale in a local drum shop; maybe late 80s...I thought they looked cool as heck, but couldn't afford the exorbitant $50 price tag (for the pair!). :lol:

RyanLovesDrums

Reaction score

Hop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
^^^ Ouchie! Man, these things are really popular. Not many listings on eBay, and they do seem to sell quick when they are priced reasonably.
It seems really tough to find the high quality 12-lug/Coliseum variant too, I gave up hope on a pair a few years ago when the auction got into the $175 per hoop price range!!!

rsq911

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I put them on all my snares that I can.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
I've got a pair of the 12 hole models but they are for a 15" drum.

Mike

rsq911

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
For me, and my thoughts.... they offer an insane rimshot and cross-stick, the overtone series vs triple flange is totally different, and I feel it offers more in that respect. But as other's have stated a very focused tone. They really do have a "church bell" quality to them. On my newer Ludwig snares, I order the dc hoops with them, which are great too, just different.
But the mid late 1990's-2017 magnesium ones are very unique, totally different than the original twins, but same size and displacement.

RyanLovesDrums

Reaction score
They are not just for snare drums....
I think this is where I first learned about those hoops. It was from a post on the drum forum here. I was really into Manu Katche at the time and read this. Check it out.
D53FD5FB-4B5A-408C-952E-B1335539ECD6.png