vintage ludwig weird sizes , how do i sell these

jtdaniell

Reaction score
i just bought a vintage ludwig kit and now im realizing that the sizes are weird and probably part of a bigger set with a few drums missing.

its a 22 kick and mounted toms 13, 14 and 15 inch. i thought the 15 inch was a 16 inch floor tom that was converted to be a mounted tom but now i see that it is actually and original 15 inch mounted tom.

im thinking i made a mistake buying this kit.... but who knows it might be awesome. iv got heads the way and i plan on trying it out at a couple gigs. but only using the 13 and 15. 14 inch is too big for a mounted tom in a 5 piece kit in my opinion

who knows more about this configuration?
would i be better selling it again as a set or selling the toms individually since they are kind of strange sizes for a set?

richardh253

Reaction score
IMG_4905.JPG
Maybe put the 13" up top and the 14" and 15" as floor toms? Sounds like a variation on these 1984 Modulars....

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Are they 3ply or 6ply? Standard depth or power depth?

jtdaniell

Reaction score
vm9gmzdwzqnvdzkam7p6.jpg

the serial number says they are from 1979. the 13 inch tom appears to have reinforced wood on the interior around the hoops, and may not be part of the set, if it is a set.

jtdaniell

Reaction score
i was considering using the two larger toms as floor toms, but the 14 inch just seems a little shallow for a floor tom and im worried they wont have that deepness you get from a regular floor tom

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
"yeah you'll have no problem selling those"..
they look 'classic" even if they're a "little" off.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
I have used a 14" rack tom in the floor tom position and it worked fine. I was able to get the tuning where I wanted it.

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Play em around a bit then come back to these issues. Get to know how they like to be tuned and if you can achieve the spreads you hear in your heard. All the while, keep an open mind and ears for new sounds that sound good to you.

I've used a 12x15 ex-marching snare as a floor tom for a long time and I love it. Great sound. Versatile, too. My newest one had the edges re-cut and it sounds really nice and round at high and low tunings. Wonderful size for a drum set.

13" and 15" is a good spread, too.
I think you have a really nice set of drums there. Nothing to get uneasy about.

Myk

Reaction score
Those are really nice, no modular hardware, a favorite sky blue pearl wrap, great looking kit

richardh253

Reaction score
Nice photo, nice kit! Clearly pre-modular (lucky break, that modular system was like parking a tank on your drums) Sky blue Pearl is a classic wrap, looks like GC there. Maybe someone had the 22-13-14 set up and added the 15? Or the floor tom wandered off somewhere along the line. If you can find a 16x16 match that would make a cool kit and you could always sell the 15 if you don't want three across the top.
Anyway, enjoy them!

mwhuskey

Reaction score
Nice looking setup.

I have a 1970s 13” rack and 16” floor tom orphans in SBP if you’re interested. I’d consider selling them off if I’m not able to come across a bass drum to complete the kit. I also have a brand new, never played, SBP snare for sale. Send me a DM if you want to discuss further. Thanks.

multijd

DFO Veteran
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
i was considering using the two larger toms as floor toms, but the 14 inch just seems a little shallow for a floor tom and im worried they wont have that deepness you get from a regular floor tom
Well it depends on what you want out of your floor tom. You could always cut down a snare stand for the correct height. And a 15 is a great floor tom size.