Vintage MIJ Sets, Including Stencils!

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Does Yamaha count? I believe these are a 1967 D-20 set, but not sure. I bought these last October and love them. 20-12-14-14 in amazing shape.

They tune up or down quite nicely. A great contrast to my newer Yamahas and 1950's 3-ply Gretsch.

View attachment 493618 View attachment 493619 View attachment 493620 View attachment 493621
Wow what a cool set of drums. I edited the thread title to include all vintage MIJ kits. What shells are these? Luan as well? What heads are you running?

Kenwood

Reaction score
P1010011.JPG

This "Dorado" (by Gretsch) partial actually has no connection to Gretsch. And are made in Japan by Hoshino Kougyou. They were considered to be on the upper end of Hoshino K's line. As the bass drum and missing snare drum are drilled for ten lugs per side, all toms are eight lugs per side. which is seldom seen
with the mounted toms.
Note the four hole hoop on the 13" resonant side standing in for a missing 8 hole. these were modified with modern 7/8" mounting hardware sometime before I found them.

Last edited:

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is my 67 Norma kit. DFO member @Kenwood was a big help unraveling the origins of this kit. Thank you!

I did a lot of playing around and experimenting with this kit to get it to sound right, even taking it to Precision to get the wonky edges re-done! They did a great job on these thin luan shells. Even though I'm financially way underwater with this kit, it does sound really good now and it's in VGC all-around. It's a 20/13/14/14 with a matching snare 14x5.5" -
IMG_20190912_121845357.jpg
IMG_20191221_133113038.jpg

IMG_20200208_121806.jpg

jmele2

Reaction score
Wow what a cool set of drums. I edited the thread title to include all vintage MIJ kits. What shells are these? Luan as well? What heads are you running?
I believe the shells are birch? They really sound very good - here's a link to a C-200 set that is similar:

Heads I'm using are all Evans - Coated G1s on top of toms and snare, clear G1s on bottom. Emad on BD batter and newer Yamaha stock BD head on front with no hole.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Who doesn't love to show off our MIJ drums?!!! Here's my contribution...

My very firs set of drums was a 4pc Lyra, wrapped in an orange/gold sparkle. I had a beautiful set of Whitehall/Pearl drums, but sold them some years ago to Bermuda! I now have an early 60's Crown 3pc on display and a nice collection of 60's MIJ snare drums!

-Mark

Attachments

UptownShakedown

Reaction score
Does Yamaha count? I believe these are a 1967 D-20 set, but not sure. I bought these last October and love them. 20-12-14-14 in amazing shape.

They tune up or down quite nicely. A great contrast to my newer Yamahas and 1950's 3-ply Gretsch.

View attachment 493618 View attachment 493619 View attachment 493620 View attachment 493621
I always considered Yamaha in a slightly different category than your traditional stencil kit. A few notches above a typical luan MIJ kit to me but maybe I'm off.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I always considered Yamaha in a slightly different category than your traditional stencil kit. A few notches above a typical luan MIJ kit to me but maybe I'm off.
Yeah, Yamaha's were never stencil kits. They weren't cheap copies of Ludwig/Slingerland/Rogers kits. They were original kits and they were made by a very highly respected company that made all kinds of fine instruments. I'm sure they were more expensive than your basic MIJ stencil kit to. So I agree with you on that.

But hey, it's nice to see MIJ Yamaha drums!

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 60's Stewart kit (same as in my AV). I've had a number of vintage MIJ kits over the years, they come and go, but this kit stays. It sounds great. View attachment 493671
Nice looking kit!

I know most stencil kits are basically the same and made in the same 3 factories, but Stewart's seem to have a better reputation than most of the other MIJs out there. Maybe there was just more of them around? They seem to go for a bit more money and most everyone said they sounded pretty good.

I don't know, they just seemed pretty popular.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is my 67 Norma kit. DFO member @Kenwood was a big help unraveling the origins of this kit. Thank you!

I did a lot of playing around and experimenting with this kit to get it to sound right, even taking it to Precision to get the wonky edges re-done! They did a great job on these thin luan shells. Even though I'm financially way underwater with this kit, it does sound really good now and it's in VGC all-around. It's a 20/13/14/14 with a matching snare 14x5.5" - View attachment 493656 View attachment 493657

View attachment 493655
Good looking kit, is there a slight discoloration in that red sparkle wrap between drums? If so, that adds even more mojo to the kit.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good looking kit, is there a slight discoloration in that red sparkle wrap between drums? If so, that adds even more mojo to the kit.
Good looking out!

The second floor tom is actually a Vibra brand that I rebranded with a Norma badge and it has a red glass wrap while the Norma kit is red sparkle. I got it for next to nothing, so I added it. Not to noticeable, I thought anyway, although you noticed it, so maybe I'm wrong! The Norma bits match nicely.

Jazzhead

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good looking out!

The second floor tom is actually a Vibra brand that I rebranded with a Norma badge and it has a red glass wrap while the Norma kit is red sparkle. I got it for next to nothing, so I added it. Not to noticeable, I thought anyway, although you noticed it, so maybe I'm wrong! The Norma bits match nicely.
Oh no I didn’t notice the second floor tom actually. The discoloration I noticed was between the bass drum and the first floor tom in the second picture, could be the lighting. I looove vintage red sparkle/glitter drums, something cool and vintagey about them.

drumfx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
As much as i like old USA drums, i also like to restore cool drums from across the pond. They are copies but a lot of them have plenty of MOJO and sound good. Here are a few that i've had and restored over the yrs.

Attachments

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.
Orange Sparkle has an Apollo bass drum, rest of kit unknown. Kit was given to me by DWSlingerland45(thanks again!)and needed some serious cleaning. (I had posted about it at the time)
The blue kit is a Pearl Modern Jazz I bought from another DF member(jccabinets!) Both sound great. Not sure why double pics.
48EBA7CD-3DE4-49B0-8568-CEE04D2D638B.jpeg
ACC50C9A-383F-42F9-A0E4-252E7E28FBBE.jpeg
48EBA7CD-3DE4-49B0-8568-CEE04D2D638B.jpeg
ACC50C9A-383F-42F9-A0E4-252E7E28FBBE.jpeg

Last edited:

Kenwood

Reaction score
This is a oyster blue Lido Supreme kit by Star that was saved from the dumpster by my seller
they were missing all the resonant side parts on all the drums and were covered in paint flecks and filth.

Sizes are 22"bass 16" floor tom and twin 12" mounted toms
there was no snare but I later found a blue oyster drum that was covered in heavy rust
I changed out every bit of chrome to make a matching snare, right down to the very cool /or gaudy badges depending on your viewpoint .
aP1010003 (17).JPG
aP1010003 (15).JPG

Last edited: