Vintage MIJ Sets, Including Stencils!

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I remember driving a Japanese car for the very first time. The year was 1973. It was a 1971 Toyota Corolla, 4 door I think. You turned the steering wheel it turned (no play). You touched the brakes (it stopped). You hit the gas (it went). Turn on the radio, (it came on) move the heater controls (they slid) everything worked like it was supposed to. with no friction.

It was like "man this is not a Chevy (Dodge or Ford or even VW or...

It climbed the hill. It went down the hill. Everything you asked it did.
the early MIJ drum remind of that.
easy to play. effortless in a way.

PS. I think (that has never gone away)
today they are still like that.

Last edited:

Jode

Reaction score
Who’s got a set? Which brand of many brands? How do you like it? Share a photo.
My MIJ’s, all ginger ale, no badges, stick saver rims, 3 ply mahogany with reenforced rounded rims, bass drum and and 13” tom most likely Stewart, snare badge is ‘Dana’, the others are a mystery, 16 floor tom has only seven lugs. I picked them up for next to nothing and I love ‘em. My Luds have been gathering dust since I put this kit together.

Jode

Reaction score
My MIJ’s, all ginger ale, no badges, stick saver rims, 3 ply mahogany with reenforced rounded rims, bass drum and and 13” tom most likely Stewart, snare badge is ‘Dana’, the others are a mystery, 16 floor tom has only seven lugs. I picked them up for next to nothing and I love ‘em. My Luds have been gathering dust since I put this kit together.

Kenwood

Reaction score
Hello Jode
The seven lug floor tom is unmistakably Pearl made.
I have a few of them in my bunch and they too are pearl
So far I have not observed of any other maker from the stencil era that drilled for only seven lugs
I see you have both hoops which is good as finding a seven hole 16" can be frustrating
bP1010001 (9).JPG

pictured here is a Star made Zim Gar badged 3pc partial with a Pearl seven lug floor tom standing in The Tiger's eye pattern between the two separate makers is close but not exact

Jode

Reaction score
Mij
Hello Jode
The seven lug floor tom is unmistakably Pearl made.
I have a few of them in my bunch and they too are pearl
So far I have not observed of any other maker from the stencil era that drilled for only seven lugs
I see you have both hoops which is good as finding a seven hole 16" can be frustrating View attachment 495014
pictured here is a Star made Zim Gar badged 3pc partial with a Pearl seven lug floor tom standing in The Tiger's eye pattern between the two separate makers is close but not exact
Thanks Kenwood, I had my suspicions that it might be a Pearl; I think the leg clips threw me off the trail a bit. The Tiger’s eye floor tom is beautiful nonetheless. Thanks for the info on the floor tom. Ever heard of ‘Dana’ drum brand?

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My old Whitehall kit circa 2005. I stupidly sold it. It sounded pretty good, but ergonomically it was one of the better kits that I've owned. Easy to play.
Nice. I also had that set in my teens about 40 years ago. I loved mine. I dare say it sounded "Gretsch-y", albeit quieter. A very dry knock.

I agree about the ergonomics, too. I had other, "better" sets at that time but played this one a lot, just because it felt so good to play.

(Not my set - just a picture of the same set I found on the web.)
whitehall drum set.png

Kenwood

Reaction score
Mij

Thanks Kenwood, I had my suspicions that it might be a Pearl; I think the leg clips threw me off the trail a bit. The Tiger’s eye floor tom is beautiful nonetheless. Thanks for the info on the floor tom. Ever heard of ‘Dana’ drum brand?
Hello again Jode let's have a close look at that Dana snare?
20200126_161239.jpg

Kenwood

Reaction score
[ATTACH type="full said:
495081[/ATTACH], post: 2099538, member: 31730"]
I just bought these on a whim.. 18, 12, 16.. Should be fun.

View attachment 495041
Rallaei these little center luggers are Pearl made and were re-wrapped in the green marine pearl
the sizes are odd 16"bass 12"hoop mounted tom 13"floor tom w/full size 14"snare
20200126_161225.jpg

Jode

Reaction score
Hello again Jode let's have a close look at that Dana snare? View attachment 495080
Hi Kenwood, I have attached pics of the Dana snare, you’ll notice it does not have stick saver rims and it appears to be of later vintage than the rest of the drums, which all have stick saver rims. I was looking for a six lug, three ply shell snare, hopefully the same wrap as the rest and the I saw an ad for the same, the make was Dana. Since it was named after my first name, I thought it wise not to let it get away from me, even though the muffler was missing. It’s sound took me back 50 years to my first set of drums which were Ballero’s, which strangely, had calf skins all round. I’m thinking I might just do that with this snare. Thanks for your interest
16F1E05D-8D1F-4090-AAA4-B3A3D991628B.jpeg
03894D98-6106-4EE0-B958-598FA1BCD988.jpeg
25DC25B4-F150-419E-A0A5-07984879E865.jpeg
F7AB318A-E1BE-4B78-8639-461C6050CDAC.jpeg
Kenwood, as of yet, I have had no luck figuring out the origin of this snare.

Kenwood

Reaction score
Hi Kenwood, I have attached pics of the Dana snare, you’ll notice it does not have stick saver rims and it appears to be of later vintage than the rest of the drums, which all have stick saver rims. I was looking for a six lug, three ply shell snare, hopefully the same wrap as the rest and the I saw an ad for the same, the make was Dana. Since it was named after my first name, I thought it wise not to let it get away from me, even though the muffler was missing. It’s sound took me back 50 years to my first set of drums which were Ballero’s, which strangely, had calf skins all round. I’m thinking I might just do that with this snare. Thanks for your interest View attachment 495145 View attachment 495146 View attachment 495147 View attachment 495148 Kenwood, as of yet, I have had no luck figuring out the origin of this snare.
Hello Jode thanks for the pictures of your Dana badged snare
I am pretty sure your snare is Hoshino Kougyou I am going by the Lugs and shell construction mostly and yes the later years indeed saw the switch from stick saver cloned hoops to triple flanged ..I have never seen the Dana badge before but those lugs and throw off I have seen many times ..By the way that drum looks super duper clean Congrats

Pat A Flafla

Reaction score
15 or so years ago, I got a Majestic kit for $60 on ebay that needed parts, but the wood was all fine. I gigged it enough to buy my Pearl Masters kit with the proceeds, and continued to use it at some gigs afterward. I got some MIJ snares after that, but once MD ran that article on them the secret was out and prices shot up from the basement to not-the-basement.

712drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I grew up playing a crappy US Mercury orange sparkle set and have no desire to ever return to that. Terrible shells, hardware that constantly fell apart, no projection, terrible tone. Thank goodness we at least had pinstripes to take away the horrible overtones in the toms.