header.nohb.html

Vintage/Modern (or Modern/Vintage) Tom Mounting- I made it myself

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
This is an idea that has been festering in the back of my mind for about a decade. A way to mount vintage drums with diamond plates with the straps onto newer designs of tom holders. It seemed like an obvious idea and I kept hoping that someone, if not Gibraltar then perhaps a smaller player like Maxwell, might offer this part at some point. When nothing of the sort seemed forthcoming I thought about ways to make a prototype myself. Every so often I'd give it some additional thought but never followed through in any concrete fashion. The other day I was rooting around in a box of old parts when I found part of a broken tom mount that had the resin ball intact and attached to a short shaft of about the same diameter as the 3/8ths" rod on a spade mount. here was something that was already "wrecked" so I didn't need to ruin a good part to give this a try. I figured if I could attach the two to each other I'd have what I wanted.

My initial thought years ago was to simply chop off part of ball rod shaft and weld a spade end to it. Quick and simple but A: I don't weld and B: I wasn't sure what the heat from welding might do to the resin ball. I didn't think welding would work due to the high heat the metal would conduct into the plastic ball. I stopped at a hardware store and perused the bits and pieces. I found a steel "spacer" tube with a 3/8ths" inside diameter. I figured that that, coupled with some spring pins to hold it all together, would join things up well enough to work. Some cutting and drilling and a bit of JB Weld (to make sure nothing rattles) and here we are...

It works like a charm. It might be a bit longer than necessary but that was just a guess so it could be made shorter. Last I knew Gibraltar, Gretsch, DW, and Ludwig all used the same size ball so this would work with any of their hardware. This could be used to adapt an old tom to a new stand or to Ludwig's modern rail mount or better yet the Atlas Arch.

This setup would shine particularly as a way to replace the old Gretsch double tom mount that used the spade holders on a one inch downtube in a bass drum bracket. Get a modern single (or double) post and replace the "L" arms with one of these and you're golden.

While this wouldn't be hard to replicate yourself it would be cool if one of the manufacturers stepped up and made some nice shiny new ones to sell. The tooling would be simple for one of the Far Eastern factories already churning out ball arms. Maxwell would just need his supplier to insert his existing spade arms into a ball. I'm not sure what sort of demand there might be but it does fill a particular need if you don't want a RIMS or other iso mount on your vintage tom but don't want to be locked into the old hardware. This is the missing link.

Anyway, I'm sort of proud of this and that I was finally able to make it a reality.

Attachments

• IMG_3280.JPG
    IMG_3280.JPG
    222.4 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_3282.JPG
    IMG_3282.JPG
    281.4 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_3284.JPG
    IMG_3284.JPG
    231.8 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG_3286.JPG
    IMG_3286.JPG
    227 KB · Views: 98

burgundy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
like Canadian red green says, if wife can't find you handsome, should at lest find you handy.

W&A Player

DFO Star
Reaction score
Just get this printed on it, and call it the Eight Ball.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 26

pedro navahas

DFO Master
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great idea!
You could tap the holes in the spacer and use the short rods with a drum key, a little more positioning.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Kevin: OUTSTANDING work! I love to see stuff like this.

You should go one more step, get an artist to sketch this, find a patent attorney to see if anyone else has patented this, and if not, apply for your own patent for a drum hardware improvement. You might end up owning this design. Good luck!

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
While it would be cool to have a patent I don't think you could likely get one on this as it's not a particular innovation. I'm not sure on that but I am sure that I can't afford the expense of getting one or enforcing it if I did. While I think there are guys who would have a use for something like this (besides myself) the overall market would be pretty small.

Frankly I'd be happy if Maxwell or someone sees it and gets his Chinese minions (I'm sure he gets his rails and such from a Chinese hardware maker) to make something similar to sell new. He springs to mind more than anyone because of his rail mounts, this would be an offshoot of that since it would allow drums set up to use on rails to also be mounted on modern stands if the need arose.

Now if he wanted to call it the "K.O. mount" that would be cool.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Great job KO! I too love coming up with stuff like this. Would be neat if this fit the ball (or would be the same size ball) that Ludwig uses in the newer center tom posts. I recall a while back, you worked on replacing that ball and arm with a longer one if I remember correctly. If so, you could then use a spade mount tom in drums with center bass drum mounts.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
MLayton said:
Great job KO! I too love coming up with stuff like this. Would be neat if this fit the ball (or would be the same size ball) that Ludwig uses in the newer center tom posts. I recall a while back, you worked on replacing that ball and arm with a longer one if I remember correctly. If so, you could then use a spade mount tom in drums with center bass drum mounts.
yes this will fit the Ludwig (and Gibraltar and DW) single or double center post mounts that use a ball arm. It will also fit the Atlas rail so having something like this available would open up a lot of possibilities for drummers with vintage drums using this bracket on the tom.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Here's another use, replacing the late 60's/early 70's Gretsch post mount they used on their double tom sets. The odd player biased placement of the base makes any modern double tom mount problematic at best but for a single tom this would shine compared to the original and require no mods to either drum.

Attachments

• IMG_3293.JPG
    IMG_3293.JPG
    519.8 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_3294.JPG
    IMG_3294.JPG
    600.1 KB · Views: 75