Vintage Paiste 602's

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am starting to get into Paiste 602's. I had heard Don Henley used them on the old Eagles tunes and I always liked his cymbal sound. I have a Bonham sized set up of Giant Beats. I also had the Bonham sized 2002's, but sold those a couple of years ago. I have had some Signature cymbals, and still have an old Sound Creation 20" Bright Ride I was planning to sell, but may hang onto it for a while longer.

I recently picked up some old drums and included was a 14" Paiste 602 hi-hat cymbal that had been paired with an old Zildjian A that has the turned mostly green from where another cymbal as stacked on it. I will clean up the Zildjan with some Groove Juice and thought I would try some on the 602 hi-hat cymbal as well. Has anyone used Groove Juice? Any concerns with it on the 602?

I picked up a vintage 19" Medium (I suppose) on a trade this weekend. The previous owner called it a crash / ride. I haven't gotten to try it out yet. I am having an issue with my wrist for some reason and want to give it some time to feel better.

I will probably look for an 18" crash and a 20" ride to go with what I have.

Are there any vintage 602 lovers here?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
few one-night stands; still have an 18 sss China, 19 with a wedge cutout; 18 with a slice and pin, a 14 top thats perfect, a 14 that dark brown to black (patinaed), and a 14" Sound edge bottom. Last two have edge nick fissures about 1".
All preserial except for the China (1978

so not a full set ; sold off the 22, the 18 flat and 20 I had..
still have paiste cool some vintage stickers and catalogs)
Use to have 8 or 9 Sound Creations.
had to taste finally the preserial 602s to make sure I wasn't missing anything.
had signatures, 2oo2s, 2ooo, (even a) brass tones along with the SC's all in a prior life.
like to bundle the remain 6 (ps +1) 602s in a $300 bundle when I find the right guy
the three hi hats are fun to mix and match

Last edited:

michiganice91

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Every single person that Ive ever seen who reported using groove juice on ANY paiste cymbals has said they completely ruined the coating and finish on them. I would ABSOLUTELY NOT USE groove juice on any paiste cymbals. I recently used FLITZ polish on my paiste reflector 3000 and it worked fantastically if you're looking for another option.

WaggoRecords

Reaction score
I have a blue label 19” medium ride. It feels so different from other Z’s and Sabians I’ve played and has challenged me to consider other sounds rather than forever chasing dark rides.

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every single person that Ive ever seen who reported using groove juice on ANY paiste cymbals has said they completely ruined the coating and finish on them. I would ABSOLUTELY NOT USE groove juice on any paiste cymbals. I recently used FLITZ polish on my paiste reflector 3000 and it worked fantastically if you're looking for another option.
I am so glad I posted that question before using. Thanks so much for the heads up!

I am guessing that the ones without Serial Numbers (like mine) though likely never had a clear finish on them.

Last edited:

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's the stamp from my 18. The only Paiste I have. Don't know stamp dates but I assume it's a 60's. This cymbal rivals the 18 Small Stamp A I have. A beautiful trio ride with a nice clear stick with minimal wash.

View attachment 498428
That looks like my stamps as well. Mine do NOT have serial numbers.

michiganice91

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I am guessing that the ones without Serial Numbers (like mine) though likely never had a clear finish on them.
No problem. Another mild cleaner I use is Mothers Chrome Polish. Just try to find mild automotive cleaners with carnuba that also clean and polish and you should be pretty safe. Anything non abrasive is a pretty safe bet too until Paiste eventually releases a new cleaner if that ever happens.

A word on serial numbers....those began in 1972. Dating pre-serial 602s is a little spicy and requires more in depth deciphering. @zenstat is very good at dating pre-serials (approximately). The only 602s containing both a serial number and the embossed stamp at 12 o'clock are ones made between 1972-1980 to my knowledge. :D

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
an 18" Seven Sound Set China from 1978 previously owned by Curt Cress (Passport)

what.

KinkSigs 039.JPG

affects the sound not a bit
just got to get a little creative mounting it (it's fun)

KinkSigs 039.JPG

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
No guarantee with this 18" at 1587g
You're on your own. - As is - where is- how is -
I won't even guarantee it's green.

KinkSigs 040.JPG

KinkSigs 040.JPG

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
this also was in a Kid's home on the other side of town. by the window where the city fumes from the bus stop permeate the air. Daily. Excellent patina. dark Funky. More soul than a Thom McCann's shoe store on the Saturday before school starts in September.

KinkSigs 037.JPG

that's it the weird 6.

KinkSigs 037.JPG

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
No problem. Another mild cleaner I use is Mothers Chrome Polish. Just try to find mild automotive cleaners with carnuba that also clean and polish and you should be pretty safe. Anything non abrasive is a pretty safe bet too until Paiste eventually releases a new cleaner if that ever happens.

A word on serial numbers....those began in 1972. Dating pre-serial 602s is a little spicy and requires more in depth deciphering. @zenstat is very good at dating pre-serials (approximately). The only 602s containing both a serial number and the embossed stamp at 12 o'clock are ones made between 1972-1980 to my knowledge. :D
Thank you!

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In a world of technicolor, trends, and endless attempts at perfection, 602’s stand apart as “just good enough.”

I’ve owned some 602’s. Two remain, both pre-serial - a thin 14 HH top and a medium-thin 23. I love them. The 23 in particular is sublime (if a bit vanilla.)

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm jealous of thoes SE hats.
I have 2 pre serial 18 inch, both within 5 grams of each other. One has a couple little flea bites, and that's the one I'll play. They sound great!
The consistency seems to have been a Paiste trademark from the beginning.
I have a couple new 602's. The Thin 16 makes a nice top hat.

Attachments