Vintage Paiste 602's

Soulfinger

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love Paistes, and 602s are no exeption although I only have 4. Need to change that. :)

Among them are two vintage items.
A pair of blue label 14" Sound Edge Hi Hats from 1985 which look virtually unplayed, but somehow the top cymbal has developed several cracks. Formerly owned by the Bruckner Orchestra of Linz (as engraved on the inside of the bells) - my theory is that these cymbals were (ab)used as handheld concert cymbals which would explain both the cracks and the lack of stick marks. Still sound great though, and for 80 bucks I couldn´t resist.
A per-serial 18" Medium (not Medium Ride) with the ink barely visible. I like to think it was born the same year as me (1967). Beautiful small group ride with a nicely defined ping, great crash and just enough wash not to sound too clean. Again, 80 euros - a no-brainer.
Seen here left and right to a thin 18" Zilco Ride I bought new in the early 80s and drilled for rivets. Only recently got it back after 20 years and love it. Pretty much the perfect low volume jazz gig set-up.

IMG_1793.JPG

michiganice91

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
29xx g
An old iPhone recording

I'm 98% sure I sold you that 23 back on Cymbalholic.....definitely one of my biggest regrets in retrospect. I'd love to get that back someday if you feel so inclined :D

TPC

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm 98% sure I sold you that 23 back on Cymbalholic.....definitely one of my biggest regrets in retrospect. I'd love to get that back someday if you feel so inclined :D
Yep - that's the one. In the unlikely event that I decide to unload it, you'll be the first to know.

Gcort49

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I once had a 21" 602. On the back, it was engraved, "Property of the Brooklyn Music Conservatory, Jazz Dept"
It was a beautiful cymbal, in sound. It was aged with years of patina. I too, never cleaned it, but no chips, bites etc. Foolishly, I sold it. At the time, 14 years ago, I got into all flats, which remains today.
I always wondered about that 'piece of history'

Last edited:

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I once had a 21" 602. On the back, it was engraved, "Property of the Brooklyn Music Conservatory, Jazz Dept"
It was a beautiful cymbal, in sound. It was aged with years of patina. I too, never cleaned it, but no chips, bites etc. Foolishly, I sold it. At the time, 14 years ago, I got into all flats, which remains today.
I always wondered about that 'piece of history'
Maybe it will show up again one day.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Our Doc - B.D. Bop- is unloading a bunch o' hand picked/culled PS 602 on ebay.
14s, 16, 18, 20 , 22. click on other items

james_c_marks

Reaction score
Joe (JDA) that story about the patina on your 18” coming from Bus exhaust in a little boy’s room,,, great stuff

I play 602s and Sound Creations. I’ve bought and sold a few more than I can remember. Keep the ones that you love.

I only use Guardsman Furniture Polish or Lemon Pledge on my cymbals. There’s enough wax in those to prevent the green stuff and keep them clean.

There’s a harmonic complexity in 602s and a precise tuning that you won’t find anywhere else. Once you hear it nothing else will satisfy you. In case you need vintage encouragement, it’s fun to mix 602s and Sound Creations.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think 602s are about as deep as Avedis As.
Sound Creation deeper level of depth.
No experience (sadly) with Traditionals.
When they came out the store's 1st shipment was only Extra Thin 18s..and I never followed up after
Signatures B15'ers about same level of depth as 602s - depth just stops at a certain point;
how I se it
deep (and wide) is old Ks

Last edited:

james_c_marks

Reaction score
ConvertedLudwigPlayer look at your 19” - does the center hole look a little larger than normal? If so it could be a marching cymbal that was repurposed as a crash ride. The good news is those are usually dark and have lots of stick. So you’ll have no problems adding a smaller 16 or 18 crash or even a 20, 22, ++

I always liked the sound of JDA’s 19 - it reminds me of my 18” SC Dark Ride

Soulfinger

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
All of us 602 lovers must not let the secret out that 602s still sound great with cracks, dents, cutouts, keyholes, flea bites, warps, etc, etc. I've picked up some nice 602 hi-hat cymbals for cheap because of being "damaged." The only thing not damaged however is their sound. So, shhhh! ;)
You are so right - I apologize for my post (#22). Don´t nobody read it!!! ;-)

ConvertedLudwigPlayer

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
ConvertedLudwigPlayer look at your 19” - does the center hole look a little larger than normal? If so it could be a marching cymbal that was repurposed as a crash ride. The good news is those are usually dark and have lots of stick. So you’ll have no problems adding a smaller 16 or 18 crash or even a 20, 22, ++

I always liked the sound of JDA’s 19 - it reminds me of my 18” SC Dark Ride
I am just getting back into town. I will take a look when I get downstairs to shed. Thanks.