Vintage Pearl B4514L COB snare

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
In my recent mania for vintage Pearl, I ran across this and made an offer... 6.5" x 14" of heavy, chromed brass heading to its new home. This is not the Jupiter, it's the Pearl brass offering, B4514L, with the Gladstone styled throw, favored by Stewart Copeland of The Police. Looking forward to giving it a whirl and upgrading the recent Pearl Fiberglass project.

s-l1600-2.jpg

s-l1600-3.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

AustinFitz

Reaction score
That's beautiful!!! I have the 6.5" Jupiter and really enjoy it. This thread just reminded me that I had asked you about any leftover badges from your fiberglass kit, and you offered what you had. Just wanted to let you know I really appreciate it, but the type of badge I'm looking for is exactly like the one on that new COB snare you have there.

Anyway, as a HUGE fan of '70s and '80s Pearl drums, I'm loving your whole fiberglass project, and I can only imagine how it sounds! I think it's one of the coolest kits I've seen here, and that snare will be a perfect match for it! Looking forward to seeing more of it! :headbang:

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I was gonna say you needed one of these for the FG project kit, but didn't want to sound presumptuous! I've been playing different versions of these for a few years now & love 'em! Congrats!

funkypoodle

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Pearls COB.jpg

Here are a couple Pearl COB i've owned: a B-714D with his little brother model 4214 and another 4214 here:

I'm sure you will find yours will have a marvellous crack to match the thunderous boom of your fiberglass kit. They can also sound really old-school (30's/40's) tuned lower, with the snares at a sloppier tension. Very versatile snares.

thejohnlec

Reaction score
Very nice instrument, and the Gladstone snare without the common broken lever is a sweet bonus!

El Larry

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That is a sweet snare! I have the smaller 5", and it's one of my favorites.

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
i have one of the 5ers that I haven't used for years - one of the lug inserts is stripped out. But now that Andrew is sending me the parts to complete a matching floor tom (thanks dude!), I'll revive the snare and be in business!
LOL! Would have sent along a lug insert as a bonus! That Floor tom should be showing up today or tomorrow... Tracking says it's running late...

Being new to these snares... I noticed that some have a micro adjustment component on the butt side. Is that supposed to be on all these models or was this something that was added later? This is actually the first pic of a B4514 I've seen with this feature...

4514.jpg

Last edited:

El Larry

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think the earlier ones had the adjustable butt, plus I think the bands around the shell are a little different, early vs. Late.

APelletier

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I think the earlier ones had the adjustable butt, plus I think the bands around the shell are a little different, early vs. Late.
Agreed, there also seems to be a low placed vent and a center placed vent, just wonder what years all these changes happened.

Latest posts