Vintage Pearl oval badge drum set

pstone

Reaction score
I will start this post by stating that I know nothing about vintage Pearl drums...I hope someone here does.
I picked up a five piece Pearl set from a friend who was cleaning out his deceased father's garage, and came across these under some old blankets.
The only thing I know about them is that the badge clearly puts them in the early 60's, and that they were most likely made in Japan.
They are: 20 x 14" Bass, 12 x 8" tom, 13 x 9" tom, 16 x 15" floor tom and a matching 14 x 5" snare. It also came with a chrome snare with the same badge.
The wrap, which is in nearly perfect condition, seems to be a purple galaxy of some sort. I have tried to find more info online, but there's not much out there on these...
The photo below is of the 13 X 9" tom.

If anyone has more info on these drums...PLEASE let me know.
Thanks,
Pstone

Photo1201.jpg

TommyWells

Pro/Founder
Reaction score
That looks like a Pearl President badge. Are the drums made of wood or are they phenolic shells? Probably late 60s-early 70s. They are definitely made in Japan. The earlier Pearl drums usually had a tack on chrome script badge,(mid-60s,) and before that had foil badges. (Early 60s.) My 1st Pearl set were 62s. They had foil badges. My next set were 65 or 66 era. They had the script logo tack on badge. My 72s had the rectangular plastic badge that Pearl had through most of the 70s, and it was held on by adhesive, as well as a smaller badge that said "fiberglass shell" or "wood fiberglass shell" and "wood shell".

pstone

Reaction score
The drum shells are either mahogany or rosewood...They SOUND like mahogany.
Nice warm tone.
Appear to be 5 ply, but not positive about that.
Badges are metal with grommets and glue.
I was told before that they might be the presidential series...

Fayray

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
That badge is an early one - mid 60s I think. The shells are not real mahogany but a wood called lauan. It's a cheaper wood with a vertical open grain. The President series came later. As much as many people here will tell you they are firewood, I disagree. They can sound fantastic with the right work and good heads. I also own a 60s Ludwig kit and a Hayman BOP kit but I use the Blue Pearl kit for gigging and some recording. It's just a good, solid, consistent sounding kit that won't break the bank if something happens to it.

I have two kits. The blue one is early 70s (plastic tacked on badge) and the white one is late 60s (gold tacked script badge).

Attachments

benjamin

Reaction score
Dang! I have a 12 and 20 in that same finish and Ive been trying to find a matching floor for years! I think that wrap is super cool but no one makes anything close enough.

Theyre cool drums. Like everyone said above, pretty good vintage tone, and they dont break the bank. Nice score.

vintage_collector

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I love the sound of my Presidents..I JUST got a set of 60's MIJ Tempro Pro.....the sound is amazing..Knocked out really.

Marc M

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I had a blue pearl Pearl kit with that badge,3 ply Mahog with maple? re rings.The Lugs are different than yours,mine look like Slingerlands,I was told at VDF that it was probably 65 66,yours looks later because of the Lugs and the wrap,if your shells have no re rings and look to be 6 plies that would put it late 60's.

BrianOwens

Drumsforever
Reaction score
I will start this post by stating that I know nothing about vintage Pearl drums...I hope someone here does.
I picked up a five piece Pearl set from a friend who was cleaning out his deceased father's garage, and came across these under some old blankets.
The only thing I know about them is that the badge clearly puts them in the early 60's, and that they were most likely made in Japan.
They are: 20 x 14" Bass, 12 x 8" tom, 13 x 9" tom, 16 x 15" floor tom and a matching 14 x 5" snare. It also came with a chrome snare with the same badge.
The wrap, which is in nearly perfect condition, seems to be a purple galaxy of some sort. I have tried to find more info online, but there's not much out there on these...
The photo below is of the 13 X 9" tom.

If anyone has more info on these drums...PLEASE let me know.
Thanks,
Pstone

View attachment 130285
Her are some links that may help you with the history of the early USA market imported Asian drums:

http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/japanese_drums/japanese_start_page.html

http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/japanese_drums/index.html

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
allan

thanks for those images. i have what i now think is a gold grain pearl snare. great looking and sounding snare drum..

mike

Attachments

thehat

Reaction score
Hi guys. This is my first time on the forum. I am trying to find some info on the pearl script badge era obviously from the 60's. What was the difference between gold and chrome badges in terms of the range of drums and year/s. Matt

Latest posts