Vintage Pearl S-017 Snares

popiomodena

Reaction score
Does anyone have a solution for snare wires that fit on a Vintage Pearl S-017 super sensitive snare system? It seems like a pretty unique design and there is nothing helpful online that I’ve found so far.

popiomodena

Reaction score
Update: I think I’m going to try Fat Cat 15”x16 strand wires and I may have to do some slight retrofitting to get them to work. If anyone has these wires, What is the width between the holes on either end?

Geardaddy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There is a complete Pearl S-017 snare mechanism for sale on Reverb. The seller states it has Puresound snare wires on it. Perhaps contact the seller and ask what wires he used or contact Puresound to see which of their wires have the proper length. Good luck in your search.

popiomodena

Reaction score
i
There is a complete Pearl S-017 snare mechanism for sale on Reverb. The seller states it has Puresound snare wires on it. Perhaps contact the seller and ask what wires he used or contact Puresound to see which of their wires have the proper length. Good luck in your search.

I have a 14” set of Pursound wires and it looks like the hole spacing is correct! The holes are just slightly small for the screws, so I should be able to enlarge them on a 15” strand and I’ll be in business.

SKSMITH

Reaction score
I put this together on the Pearl Drummers Forum for how I used a Puresound snares and drilled them to fit the S-017 strainer on my snare. It is Post #35.
The "official" G series snare with S-017 strainer restoration thread - Page 3 (pearldrummersforum.com)

OK Guys,
I may have a fix for S-017 snare wires!
This uses a single PureSound Vintage Series Slingerland Radio King Clam Shell Snare Wire, 16 Strand, 14 Inch.
I know this is a single unit, and it 16 strand vs. (2) 10 strand units, but this works and sounds damn good! It's kind of pricey (Around $45), so if you aren't comfortable measuring or working with a drill, don't try this at home.
The strands are the same length as the S-027 strands. Here is what I did:
1 - Measure the distance between the two screw holes in the S-017 receiver that rides on the rods. This is 1" +/-.
2 - Locate the center of the receiver and mark. I used a red Sharpie, so it would be semi-permanent.
3 - Center the PureSound snare on the receiver with the two screws. The PureSound snare has a single mounting hole for the old Slingerland Clam Shell throw-off.
4 - Once centered, measure 1/2" from the centerline one each side of the centerline. This will locate two holes 1" apart. I used a 12" carpenters square to draw a line across the snare.
5 - Measure 3/16" from the end of the PureSound snare wire. Again, use the carpenters square to draw a line that is centered on the snare wire end (what is this part of it called? LOL). See the picture below.
[IMG alt="Name: Snare Wire Measurements.jpg
Views: 430
Size: 64.5 KB"]https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=507855&d=1517007455[/IMG]
6 - Drill the two holes on the lines that you drew. Start with a smaller bit and work your way up to a size slightly larger than the attaching screws. Go slightly larger so that you have some adjustment when you put everything back together. Also a note: go slow when you drill. (I forgot to take a pic of the finished holes). The bit will grab and start to spin the whole snare wire assembly. Make sure that you secure it well.
7 - Clean the snare wires and the receiver with fingernail polish remover to remove the Sharpie lines.
8 - Assemble the snares and install on your S-017 strainer.
9 - Adjust your strainer to suit your personal tastes.
10 - Beat it like a step-child!
[IMG alt="Name: Snare Wire Installed.jpg
Views: 538
Size: 68.8 KB"]https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=507856&d=1517007780[/IMG]
[IMG alt="Name: Snare Wire Close-Up.jpg
Views: 501
Size: 82.0 KB"]https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=507857&d=1517007799[/IMG]
Good Luck!
Steve