Vintage Premier 3-ply Mahogany Drums BDP 12/13/14/20

dunnenrb

Reaction score
These are some of the most musical sounding vintage drums I have ever had the pleasure of playing. I have owned a 12/14/20 configuration in just about every vintage brand from this era and this is by far my favorite kit of the bunch. Every drum SINGS. I've also never seen chrome this pristine on a vintage drum, it is gorgeous. The internal mufflers are still on all of the toms, the shells in round, and fairly new Coated Ambassador heads all around.

There are only a couple of issues to note - the wrap on the bass drum cracked during shipping (it must have been really hot on the truck). The good news is that it would be an insanely easy rewrap job as the removal has mostly been done by the wrap itself :) The floor tom badge is a little loose but that is an easy fix. Both tom arms are included but the 13"/right side arm is a little wonky, you have to work with it to get it to sit right.

All in all this would make a KILLER giggin bop kit or studio kit. I have run out of space unfortunately and need to get rid of some stuff so these have to go.

Asking $600 plus shipping

Attachments

Last edited:

wayne

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have an Oly kit in 20,12,16...same shell and they come through a PA system with authority, yet so balanced and punchy. I much prefer these over maple shells, but beech is still #1 for me.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
hard to see the 9X13
9X13 was rare for Premier back with those mounts
almost looks like two 8X12

flatwins

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
14” Premier FTs during this era are rare stuff. I already have 2 Premier kits (50s & 70s) so I gotta leave this one for y’all.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Plus, a skilled resto guy could possibly re-melt and re-glue the cracked finish on the BD, keeping it a tad more original. You'd likely see a line where the re-join would be, but....color and pattern would stay very matched.

gdaileda

Reaction score
These shells as most of you know are incredible. These sets are out there priced from 400 to whatever you will pay. One of the best sounding drums ever made.
Yeah, prices can be shockingly low because Premier are no longer au courant. I bought a huge 10 pc 1979 Premier Elite drumset in 2012 for ...you ready...$800! The drums are in immaculate condition and I bought them from the original owner. I never use more than 4 or 5 drums at a time though. I'll post a few pictures.

Attachments

gdaileda

Reaction score
I have an Oly kit in 20,12,16...same shell and they come through a PA system with authority, yet so balanced and punchy. I much prefer these over maple shells, but beech is still #1 for me.
I have an Olympic birch wood snare drum from 1960s/1970s. It is exactly like a Premier wood snare drum of the time: same shell, same hardware, same reinforcement hoops (maple) same lugs etc. The one and only diiference is the badge. I think I remember paying $200 for it about 10 years ago.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
add pictures of set Up ready to play etc maybe also indoor

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
It's a 9x13 - the pic with the mount shows a small bit of the head between the 13 and the 14, and same for the 12 and the 13
I have a 9x13 in mahogany finish. Nice drum. Sadly vintage Premiers don't bring much money this side of the pond. Awesome for drummers wanting a killer deal on great vintage drums.