Vintage Premier Pics Anyone ?

jonesy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Some beautiful kits on display, Premier really were very classy drums.

gryphon

?????!
Reaction score
Some beautiful drums in this thread. I'm particularly fond of Ron's(RoyalAce) Burgundy Pearl bop kit.

Premier made great sounding drums with a very distinctive, elegant look along with some of the coolest looking flat base stands ever.

Here's a terrible photo of my first kit, a model 58 from 1958 which I still own. Got it used in 1965. Originally wrapped with Aquamarine sparkle that turned a blotchy dog vomit green after only a couple years. They've been rewrapped now, with Precision's WMP. I hope to someday rewrap them with a match to Aquamarine from the Drum Foundry.

IMG_0090.jpg

jim

royal ace

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Good Evening or otherwise fellow Premier lovers,
Greetings from the bog...
I too have had a few of these sets, still have some too. I really like the immediate post war ones with the RKesque rerings and slightly thicker shells, unfortunately the availability of these is limited. I have however managed to amass a few, as seen below, plus some others that have passed through my hands:

View attachment 140985
View attachment 140986
View attachment 140987
View attachment 140988
View attachment 140989
View attachment 140990

Here endeth my first DFO post, how very satisfying.
Welcome spart!
You've come in on a high note, fellow Premier lover. You have a serious Premier jones!
And these two... especially the black set... me oh my.... both 18'12'14" ?

P1080910.JPG

P1090938.JPG

Which bog would that be?

Ron

spart

Reaction score
Why thank you for your kindly welcome Ron, gratefully received.
Yes those are both 18/14/12s as are the Red Glitter set and the White Duro, my personal favourite as it happens. That one is a late 40s, full calfskin getup.
Here are some more, all 18/14/12s:

P1090453.JPG P1090592.JPG

P1100011.JPG P1050271.JPG

I reside in the bog of Killygoan, bandit country as was in the bad old days. Safe beyond view of the Goggle-eyed twerps. Land of 365 lakes and a special drum peatina...

All the best to you, Slainte...

Vibes

Reaction score
Found these late 70's era Resonators on Craigs list and gave $75 for them. I had to buy all new heads, front hoop,tension rods and claws for the front. tom mounts, bottom rims for the toms. Still need original bottom rims for the 13 and 16 tom. 14"x24" bass drum, 16"x15" floor,9"x13",and 10"x14"toms. Got the steel Olympic/Premier snare on ebay. Great sounding drums.
Premiers After.jpg Premier.jpg Premiers Hirams 2.jpg

GiantBeater

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I love Premier drums.

Great sound, classy looks, superb chrome, amazing wood work, etc…

1. 5,5" BDP Royal Ace.
2. 4" WMP Royal Ace
3. 5,5" Olympic by Premier.
That Olympic snare is SO COOL!!! Wow!! Would love to find one of those.

stedi

Reaction score
I love Premier drums.

Great sound, classy looks, superb chrome, amazing wood work, etc…

1. 5,5" BDP Royal Ace.
2. 4" WMP Royal Ace
3. 5,5" Olympic by Premier.
That Olympic snare is SO COOL!!! Wow!! Would love to find one of those.
Thanks GiantBeater,

I picked it up last week for 50,00 Euro,... can you imagin?!
It turned out to be 100% original and sounds wonderful.

It's a 1953 Olympic model 1151W, ("W" for white lacquer over brass) and was available in black or white in 5,5" or 6,5" depth.
It's basically a 1930's Premier Dominion Ace with different strainer.

Attachments

royal ace

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So far I count 13 sets. To some, that's an unlucky number. Is that why you're trying to unload this beauty?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180961045654?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

My personal favorite of yours is still this one, for nostalgic reasons, I suppose.
P1090938.JPG
My first Premier set, Rome 1964, with my new bride:
Rome 64 at John Eaton\'s.jpg
It replaced a Gretsch 3-ply, Progressive Jazz set in black nitron that was stolen from me in Rome.
Here's the identical Gretsch set, acquired 2 years ago.
GRETSCH 3ply: back small.JPG

Ron

spart

Reaction score
Good Day to you Ron,
Can't say I am in the slightest bit superstitious in that respect Sir but I am not currently in possession of all those drumsets you understand... That would be plain greedy!
They have gone all over the world, US, Japan, Russia, Italy, Spain, Germany, Holland and Australia thus far. Thank you for the pointer to my auction, I suspect it will end up a long way from home.
I will always keep hold of my oldest 40s/50s ones, non negotiable. I also have a Gretsch 6-ply RB Prog Jazz, brought it back from your neck of the woods in the 90s and modified for practicality:

P1090375.JPG

It's kind of retired though, my eldest boy has his beady on it, No Chance.

jonesy

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good Day to you Ron,
Can't say I am in the slightest bit superstitious in that respect Sir but I am not currently in possession of all those drumsets you understand... That would be plain greedy!
They have gone all over the world, US, Japan, Russia, Italy, Spain, Germany, Holland and Australia thus far. Thank you for the pointer to my auction, I suspect it will end up a long way from home.
I will always keep hold of my oldest 40s/50s ones, non negotiable. I also have a Gretsch 6-ply RB Prog Jazz, brought it back from your neck of the woods in the 90s and modified for practicality:

View attachment 141112

It's kind of retired though, my eldest boy has his beady on it, No Chance.
Having never played any Gretsch kits I was wondering how does the sound of the Gretsch compares with that of the Premiers?

GiantBeater

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I too have had a few of these sets, still have some too. I really like the immediate post war ones with the RKesque rerings and slightly thicker shells, unfortunately the availability of these is limited. I have however managed to amass a few, as seen below, plus some others that have passed through my hands:

View attachment 140985
View attachment 140986
View attachment 140987
View attachment 140988
View attachment 140989
View attachment 140990

Your red sparkle kit is UNbelievable!!! Awesome!!!

royal ace

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

View attachment 140985
View attachment 140986
View attachment 140987
View attachment 140988
View attachment 140989
View attachment 140990

Your red sparkle kit is UNbelievable!!! Awesome!!!
It's indeed in a rare state of preservation for an early 60s set... though apparently not more so than several of the others. :notworthy:
I'd like to think that whoever currently owns it is playing it. :unsure:

Ron

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mind if I play?
More than likely only considered Vintage by a teenager, but it's Premier and it's all mine.
From around '99 or '00 , my 14x5.5 Cabria Exclusive with optional blacked out hardware and maroon finish.
Those options were only available in the Exclusive version of the Cabria series.

...I'll understand if this post is met with chirping crickets. :-D

Elvis

GiantBeater

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Guys this is not good. Look what you all made me do??!! So awesome...

Now can someone tell me more about it?!

Ebay ad- http://www.ebay.com/itm/261096868249?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
GORGEOUS drum, but please resize that pic.
I have a thing about certain numbers....getting that bad feeling.

Elvis