Vintage Premier Pics Anyone ?

ian-40

Reaction score
Guys this is not good. Look what you all made me do??!! So awesome...

Now can someone tell me more about it?!

Ebay ad- http://www.ebay.com/itm/261096868249?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2648
STUNNING !!

stedi

Reaction score
Beautiful drum, congratulations!

A lot of info can be found on the Vintage Olympic website.

http://www.vintageolympic.co.uk/index.html

From browsing through the catalogs I believe what you have is a model n°82.
The badge is what they refer to as: "Cardboard transition badge fitted to drums between 1959 and 1960 approx".

Stef

spart

Reaction score
Good Afternoon,
Those are indeed excellent snares, and they go pretty cheap this side of the pond. Usually the six lug versions, the De Luxe 8 luggers are well worth a punt when they show up. I have a couple of the budget variety myself, one from 1959ish and one a bit older:

P1100155.JPG

I fitted the lower 6.5 with some old JG cast hoops, tis a cracker.

Ron, the Red bop set went to W Virginia, perhaps it is closer than you might imagine, the black one is in Melbourne.

Patrick

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Question for you Spart,

I have a similar WMP OLYMPIC snare as the one you fitted with John Grey hoops. I had been pondering putting a set of british die casts on mine as well--currently sporting some generic triple flangers.

So I guess I will start the hunt for some 6hole 14" die casts.

Can you suggest any other manufacturers of similar 6 hole die casts?

Compliments to all, great thread and beautiful drums.

Patrick

spart

Reaction score
Good Morning or otherwise,
Well Patrick I could certainly recommend the addition of the die casts however the John Grey/Rose Morris manufactured ones are the only Brit ones I can think of. They don't tend to come up very often for sale on their own. Your best bet is to keep an eye on ebay.co.uk for an old beaten up snare with them, these appear fairly regularly. Mine came attached to a fetching Red Sparkle one plus a PI Red sparkle 12", all for 16 quid:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/170860456554#ht_500wt_1084

A fair price you should be able to replicate with patience.

The only other six lug cast hoops I can think of are the ones on Gretsch Dixieland snares, which I would guess are somewhat more plentiful in the US. Although a brief perusal of the marketplace throws up this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RARE-14-die-cast-snare-side-drum-hoop-6-lug-JOHN-GREY-rose-morris-/110951606393?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item19d53b2879#ht_500wt_1084

Best of luck in your search... Here are another couple of Olys, circa 1958 and 1978:

P1080361.JPG P1080873.JPG

Ionic

Reaction score
Here's a pic of my Black Shadow Resonators.

Attachments

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Question: Back when I sold Premier drums, Olympic was a model of Premier. It seems it started off that way, but at one time, it seems that Olympic was almost a brand unto itself, much in the same way PDP is a "brand" stemming from DW.

Would that be a fair assessment of Olympic?

Robinsky

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Question: Back when I sold Premier drums, Olympic was a model of Premier. It seems it started off that way, but at one time, it seems that Olympic was almost a brand unto itself, much in the same way PDP is a "brand" stemming from DW.

Would that be a fair assessment of Olympic?
As I understand it Olympic was always Premiers' budget range. Certainly from the 60s and possibly before that. The Premier website has or at least had a history of the company and that ought to shed some light.

Robinsky

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Elvis, You could also check out some of the stuff on this page ... http://www.drumarchive.com/Olympic/
There are a lot of Olympic drums around this side of the pond but a lot of the vintage ones have been neglected. Shame really. The name was re-introduced a while ago so you can now find the Olympic badge on Chinese shells with generic hardware - also a shame imho.

stedi

Reaction score
[/quote]
As I understand it Olympic was always Premiers' budget range. Certainly from the 60s and possibly before that. The Premier website has or at least had a history of the company and that ought to shed some light.
[/quote]

Olympic was always marketed as the "budget range", also before the 1960's.

Especially in the first decennia, quality wise, Olympic wasn't budget at all.
From what I understood it was more Premier's method to sell old stock and parts.

For example: My Olympic 1151W from 1953 has exactly the same shell, lugs and hoops as the Premier Dominion Ace from 1937.

In other words, Olympic buyers in those days were spending a lot less cash for somehow outdated gear.
Nonetheless, still very high quality stuff,…

Attachments

Robinsky

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Stedi, I was in Belgium for a day and a half several years ago. We played at the Labadoux festival. Richie Blackmore was on the bill, and, according to the organizers was a total pain. Anyway it's good to hear from another fan of Premier and Olympic.

Capt Wierd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Back in the 30s, Olympic, Magna, Mayfair, Ace, 100s, mostly referred to different types of bass drums with the exception of Ace and Mayfair, the former had snares named Ace and the later had toms named Mayfair. Interestingly enough, the name Mayfair probably came about due to Max Bacon playing with the Bert Ambrose Orchestra playing at London's Mayfair hotel

Luddite

Mostly intentional comic relief
Reaction score
Some beautiful kits here. I'll always have a soft spot for Premier. My first nice kit was a Royal Blue 12/13/14/15/16 concert tom kit with a 22" kick and a 16 floor. The Blue Pearl wrap on some of your kits is pretty stunning.

Ionic

Reaction score
Now there's a Premier "cat" for ya...nice pic.

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Elvis, You could also check out some of the stuff on this page ... http://www.drumarchive.com/Olympic/
There are a lot of Olympic drums around this side of the pond but a lot of the vintage ones have been neglected. Shame really. The name was re-introduced a while ago so you can now find the Olympic badge on Chinese shells with generic hardware - also a shame imho.
Very cool. Thanks for the (now favourited) link.
The SEAsian Olmpics were the one's that I sold.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

stedi said:
Olympic was always marketed as the "budget range", also before the 1960's...From what I understood it was more Premier's method to sell old stock and parts...In other words, Olympic buyers in those days were spending a lot less cash for somehow outdated gear.
Now THAT is a novel idea!
I'm surprised that hasn't become a standard practice by all the major manufacturers these days.

Elvis