Vintage Premier snare drums

wackjob

Reaction score
Hey,

I'm a Premier drums fanatic - well i do live in England :hello1:

I don't know so much about the 60's and 70's output of Premier. Been looking at snare drums as i am bored with what i have. There are quite a few Premier on ebay uk as you would expect.

Can anyone tell me what are the differences between the 2000, Royal ace and Super ace ? Which is regarded the most highly ? I am interested in the snare action i.e parallel throw off concept

Saw this not far from me - an aluminium 1960's 2000 in good working order. But he had the chrome removed from the shell and the aluminum polished.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-60s-Premier-2000-Aluminium-and-chrome-Snare-Drum-14x-5-1-2-approx/273749707908?hash=item3fbcc10c84:g:OqIAAOSw55FcSeLV

Thanks, Stu

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'm not hardly an expert....but here's my thoughts.
1) If you like the look of the polished aluminum love its uniqueness. In the states premier's don't hold value well so here it wouldn't really effect value unless someone was looking for museum quality
2) The snare wires are hard to find. Those look like they have two good sets.

I don't know the difference between the 3 lines.

good luck.

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
An aluminum 2000 with the flo beam assembly , if complete and in good working condition, would be my first choice . The Royal Ace mechanism with individually tensioned wires can be problemical and its hard to find missing pieces of which there are many .

The 2000 has been compared to a Supraphonic, but there are significant differences . The Premier is straight walled with 8 lugs, normally comes with cast hoops and has an extra 1/2" depth .

The current love of my life is a Beverly Cosmic 21 aluminum - ten lugs , beaded shell and I'd say groovier than a Supra .

To avoid excommunication, let's say just as groovy ....

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
The two wood shelled Royal Aces I once owned were from the early or mid sixties and there were tiny steel blocks at each end that could be tensioned,raised or lowered with a jeweller's screwdriver . Each block had a corresponding wire . maybe they simplified things later . The lugs on mine were narrower and more ornate .

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Last edited:

wackjob

Reaction score
An aluminum 2000 with the flo beam assembly , if complete and in good working condition, would be my first choice . The Royal Ace mechanism with individually tensioned wires can be problemical and its hard to find missing pieces of which there are many .

The 2000 has been compared to a Supraphonic, but there are significant differences . The Premier is straight walled with 8 lugs, normally comes with cast hoops and has an extra 1/2" depth .

The current love of my life is a Beverly Cosmic 21 aluminum - ten lugs , beaded shell and I'd say groovier than a Supra .

To avoid excommunication, let's say just as groovy ....
A bit like this then ? Only 10 miles from me.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Very-Rare-Brass-Beverley-21-By-Premier-14-Snare-Drum/303093075915?hash=item4691c14fcb:g:TtEAAOSwGgdchtZN&redirect=mobile

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
I wasn't aware of a brass shelled Cosmic 21 , but who knows . Mine is exactly like that, but aluminum . Seems a little expensive , so maybe it is brass . Only way to be sure is by the weight, and of course the sound . Brass tends to have a darker, throatier sound and is considerably heavier than aluminum . If it's missing the dampener , you can peek at the inside edge of the hole and see if it isn't gold/yellow . Even mildly rotate a narrow blade around the inside circumference of the dampener's hole and check again for the colouring .

ThomFloor

Reaction score
The Premier 2000 is a fantastic snare. I would say it was Premier's answer to the Supraphonic but is much better built in all kinds of ways.
They do sound similar but the 2000 is a more open sounding 'wilder' kind of sound, with 8 lugs having a bit to do with that.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I always loved the look of Premiers. When I was in High school and we would play in "Battle of the bands" competitions their was this one kid in another band that had a beautiful Premier kit (I have no idea what the model was). I had Exports back then but would have loved to have one of those Premier kits! I viewed them as the British version/equivalent of Ludwig's. I also remember a few years back when Nicko Mcbrain went to Premier. Even though his endorsement was short lived, the kit that they built for him was absolutely spectacular. Sorry my post wasn't specifically about the snares. I got a little derailed!:rolleyes:

wackjob

Reaction score
Hey no probs lrod - i am just happy that you guys over the pond know so much about Premier. I am just discovering the 60's and 70's output from them.

Problem with me is i am like a dog with its head out the car window. Everything looks good and then something new comes in to view and i want that. Making decisions is such hard work. I trawl ebay for hours looking at drums when really i should be studying and playing them !

Regards, Stu

rock roll

Reaction score
I am a big premier fan also. But I'm no expert.
One thing I know about parrallel throws is if the parrallel part don't work perfect they can be a problem.
And I've heard if the parrallel throw gets taken apart it's very difficult to get it right back in good working order.
So make sure there's no problem with the throw.

I have a 2000 and love it.
image.jpeg image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Last edited:

rock roll

Reaction score
And from one premier fan to another ... Here's another parrallel I like....and use alot.
The "black shadow" snare.
image.jpeg image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Sounds great..only thing tho with the extra wide rims plus parrallel throw , doesn't fit into a 14" case.

rock roll

Reaction score
I almost forgot..a friend who I would consider an expert on premiers (sold me his ringo mahagony duroplasty kit back in the early 90's) as I was looking for the ace snare to go with the kit , told me that the throw/snare were infamous for coming loose while playing.

Maybe some others out there could clear this ol wives fable up?

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yeah. I had a bought new in Sept. 71 Premier set (B303 w/ extra 14x14) 2000 snare (all in mahog duroplast (14x22/8x12/8x14/14x14/16x16)

For 26 years that 2000 parallel (chrome snare) mechanism never budged never faltered.
(the wacky large L- post tom holders were a delicate affair) the drums in general were (built) light. resonant yes. (mahog/beech ring American-sized shell)

Great set. Went to the store thinking I was buying a Ludwig set- and got 'sold' (big Selmer dealer) ended up with the Premiers for 26 years.
Snare never gave a lick of problem

http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/images/premier_drumsets/1968_premier_drumsets1.jpg

the tom holders from Hale.
..have to add with a little bit of care they were ok.
in total ; Like a Jaguar sedan from that era../love/hate/
delicate in some areas/ strong reliable in others/

https://www.google.com/search?q=premier+303&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj5wNPWzP_gAhVwpVkKHTPZCMkQ_AUIESgE&biw=994&bih=441#imgrc=_

Last edited:

DrummerJustLikeDad

That's Me, The Silent Son
Reaction score
Drumline in the Grand Parade of Lifeless Packaging
Another big fan of Premier, without ever laying hands on one. Admire Resonators, absolutely adore Signias, and wanted that kit for a long time.

This seems as good a place as any to post a YouTube clip that’s fascinated me since it was posted. I’ve watched it over and over.

From the 50s.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey no probs lrod - i am just happy that you guys over the pond know so much about Premier. I am just discovering the 60's and 70's output from them.

Problem with me is i am like a dog with its head out the car window. Everything looks good and then something new comes in to view and i want that. Making decisions is such hard work. I trawl ebay for hours looking at drums when really i should be studying and playing them !

Regards, Stu
Don't feel bad, I have the same problem Lol!
I'm also a big fan of James Bond movies, Jaguars and Land Rovers so it's not just the Premiers. I think I'm speaking for most people by stating that we'd love to have more stuff from there and you guys would love more stuff from here. I love unique items.