Vintage Rescue Project Nearing Completion

69OysterBlue

DFO Master
Reaction score
This has been one of the longer projects I've ever done, but it involved a lot of work.

These drums started out life as a 1968 Ludwig Oyster Blue Pearl Hollywood set (12/13/16/22) with Keystone badges ands-l500 (5).jpgs-l500 (4).jpgHalfway Finished Shells.JPGShells.JPGIMG_0008.JPGIMG_0016.JPGIMG_0032.JPG white painted interiors (probably among the last painted interiors before Ludwig switched to clear maple interiors).

At some point, someone decided to try and strip off the wrap but only got far enough to do the 16x16 floor tom. Then they got lazy and just opted to paint the whole set black. Unfortunately, the paint they used didn't react well with the wrap and eventually caused serious cracking and spalling of pieces of the wrap.

I have subsequently removed all of the remaining wrap, stripped the paint off the floor tom and stripped the interior paint as well. The shells are solid and all in round. I then cut new bearing edges and have re-wrapped these drums in Black Diamond Pearl. All of the hardware has been cleaned and polished. I replaced the old P1216-D brackets which had been deformed by over-tightening. Hoops all looked great after soaking in Dawn and scrubbing with a plastic brush.

Heads will probably go on today and I have this kit slated for use at an outdoor concert we're playing in about a month.

This has been a tedious project, but it's been a labor of love and I'm anxious to get these drums set up to play.

JDZ

Asst. Manager, rhythm section
Reaction score
Boy, that was a lot of work! Well worth it, though. They look great, Jim!

Dave

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
Superb work as always Jim. Well done!

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Been there, done that, and know how much work and love of drums this project involves.

Nice result. Be proud and wack them until everyone dances in front of you with joy.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Lovely kit & new wrap!

I have a set of 1968 WMP Super Classics clear interiors that just fell into my wrap - just finished cleaning the 13" this weekend down to the washers - it's definitely a labor of love......cheers!

retrosonic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
69: Your work is OUTSTANDING. From where you got the set, to where the finish line was, the difference is rather unbelievable. Great work!!!

69OysterBlue

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've done many projects like this, and it always feels great when you can "stand back and admire".

What did you use inside the shells?
I went with a couple of coats of shellack. It is a very light coating, but let’s the wood grain shine through nicely.

franke

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nice job! I once had a pieced-together 20/12/13/16 Slingerland kit that someone had painted black. The FT was black wrap, but the other three were sky blue pearl. The paint came off with a rag soaked in lacquer thinner and a little elbow grease that I later realized caused some very fine cracking in the pearl.

B4_&_After.jpg