Vintage Rogers from Steve Maxwell...Wow.

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ah, the dream of Swivomatic!

Purple Diamond Pearl... you realize you've just set down grandpacleve bait, don't you?

Purple Diamond Pearl was discussed at length in either NSMD or Vintage/Classic Drummer in the print days, and I think is in the Cook book, too.

CC Cirillo

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wow. First time seeing that wrap. I’m besotted.

In an alternate universe, I’ve got some jazz chops and that kit, and I’m playing with Ahmad Jamal, and I’ve got a little table just right of my floor tom with a gimlet that’s glowing in the stage light. And Mr. Jamal introduces me as “My man, Hoyt, in the Engine Room, ladies and gentlemen.”

tkillian

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Drums are pretty but video means nothing without hearing them. Otherwise its just a pretty museum piece.

I hope he does a video where he plays them

Beautiful looking kit.

GrandpaCleve

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Did somebody say purple Rogers? I love that non cataloged color. The 2nd edition Cook book has a color section in the middle showing the variations I provided for this color. It's a shame that Steve's set has that big internal muffler in the bass drum. Great bold color though. I think stu is remembering an article I did for the NSMD when it was mailed out back in the old days...

I just sent my finished 470 pgs. book to Rich Berger at Grossman/Trophy/Grover for his approval. I need his permission before I have it published. Plenty of purple diamond pearl in my book. It should be available before the end of the year. Yes a new Rogers/Grossman Music/ Trophy Products book!

Attachments

Last edited:

kdgrissom

Reaction score
One thing that just occurred to me was that the wild colors/wraps of today (anything goes) even if available then, may not have been widely acceptable in the more socially conservative, cold war, 1950's.
That Purple Diamond Pearl is stunning!

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah, what beautiful hardware. I'm often struck by how cool Rogers hardware was.

Skinsmannn

Reaction score
Did somebody say purple Rogers? I love that non cataloged color. The 2nd edition Cook book has a color section in the middle showing the variations I provided for this color. It's a shame that Steve's set has that big internal muffler in the bass drum. Great bold color though. I think stu is remembering an article I did for the NSMD when it was mailed out back in the old days...

I just sent my finished 470 pgs. book to Rich Berger at Grossman/Trophy/Grover for his approval. I need his permission before I have it published. Plenty of purple diamond pearl in my book. It should be available before the end of the year. Yes a new Rogers/Grossman Music/ Trophy Products book!
PLEASE KEEP US UP TO DATE ON THE BOOK. I want one!

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
We discussed a very similar kit here about a year ago, 1958 Rogers PDP with Pirate badges. Clean kit other than some cracked lugs on snare, floor tom, etc. A member here ended up with it. I'm sure this kit here was a LOT less money than Steve would want for his. An interesting story on how this kit was handed down in the family. The floor tom and snare both the same cocktail drum kit attachments as Steve's kit. At first I thought they might be the same kit. But then Steve said he only recently bought it back from the owner....which didn't seem to match the story of this other kit.

Rogers Purple diamond pearl discussed here back in Dec 2018 before being sold and cleaned up. 2nd picture is what the new owner posted here in the same thread - cleaned - repaired - and ready to go.

rogers purple diamond pearl.jpg

Rogers purple diamond pearl cleaned up.jpeg

Last edited:

Sjc3070

Reaction score
Will do. After 10 years of work I would like to see this published soon. Mr. Berger will get it on Monday. Then off to the printer. Very pleased with the outcome and I think it will make a lot of vintage nuts happy too.
I’d love a book when ready! I’ve been on the hunt for a purple diamond pearl rack tom to complete a kit for several years. Exceedingly rare.

kallen49

Reaction score
I'd like to make it a hard cover book. It's a lot of pages so I hope to find a printer that is fair for 1000 copies. Relieved that it is finished. It only took 10 yrs. HA!
Have you considered a digital version of your book? I’d buy that.
Libraries in Ontario have been closed since March so I have been using library app “Libby” which works great. When I buy a new book these days it’s usually a digital version.

GrandpaCleve

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
When doing my research back in Dec.09 I found it criminal that the Cleveland library didn't have anything on Grossman Music. They have been in business since 1922 in downtown Cleveland. There should be a hard copy there at the very least.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'd like to make it a hard cover book. It's a lot of pages so I hope to find a printer that is fair for 1000 copies. Relieved that it is finished. It only took 10 yrs. HA!

Well, please let me know how to get a copy!!

Dave Randall

Reaction score
IMG_0389.JPG
Just had to jump in and comment about Steve Maxwells PDP Rogers kit. It's a good looking kit with a 13" ride tom and not the more common 12" with the added on W&A bass drum muffler, but he seems to be describing my set with the option to play it as a cocktail set. His kit is missing the collet on the snare drum, the correct mounting arm for the snare drum and the Rogers Upbeat pedal. The other thing that looks different on his kit is that it only has 3 extra knobbies and not 4 for the cocktail conversion option which I've had on both of my Rogers cocktail kits. BTW the upbeat pedal is not reversible as Steve describes it, but a pedal that was developed for use only on a cocktail kit to strike a drumhead from underneath. I hope to get up to IL to see his kit one of these days.
IMG_1914.JPG

Last edited:

drummertom

Staff member
Reaction score
Save a copy for me!