Vintage Slingerland Bass drum: Seems a little strange to me.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So I bought a vintage Slingy Bass on Reverb. I wanted one this size, 22x14. I was simply planning on refurbishing it and adding it to a particular set of Tama toms I've mostly finished. Plus, if you're wondering, it's the classic 3-ply with re-rings. I don't have ANYTHING like this. To be perfectly honest, it would have been smarter to buy a Tama bass with the Zola coating. That would match the other 3 toms I've refurbished. And a bit cheaper. But I like these 60s designed drums. Very cool.

First off, finding double ended lugs that are made for bass drums, and that fit--nearly impossible. Which, I knew wouldn't be easy. So I'm either going with some custom lugs from Champagne Drums again (as I did when I built my recent snare). Or, I'm going to buy 20 single point lugs of some kind--the drum is drilled for 10 double ended lugs as far as I can figure.

BUT, the most interesting thing for me is, there are only 3 other holes drilled. One obviously is the air vent. And then 2 more holes drilled for some type of mount. NO IDEA what kind of mount.

There are no holes drilled for spurs. Did Slingerland design hoop mounted spurs?

I've not researched much. But all the pics of Slingy bass drums either have smaller single ended Beavertail type lugs, or maybe long double ended lugs.

I'm not sure what I'm asking. I'm just lacking knowledge about this shell. It's marked with a "1965" stamp inside.

Feel free to school me on these Slingerland basses. Thanks!

el_37

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The only double ended lug that was used in 1965 was the same lug used on snare drums- they used it on basses and toms as well.

It's possible your bass was a marcher as well- the 2 other holes could be for the sling/strap.

In the 70's they came out with their version of a Ludwig "Mach" lug.

Pictures of your drum would help.

jmetatual

Reaction score
+1 with el_37. Slingerland did offer an entry level BD available with just a cymbal mount and hoop mounted spurs. Pictures needed.

Last edited:

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I ran into a cool '65 Slingerland stage band kit back in March (12,14,20 and snare). It was like the strippo model.....but mint through and through...including hardware. It came with the hoop mounted bass drum spurs, and a hoop mounted tom as well. Even had 2 hoop mounted cymbal stands. That bass drum was all "hooped out."

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pics would be nice. I do have 16 Slingy bass lugs (one sided)........I also have a 12/14/16/20 Slingy set in which the bass has center lugs. They are similar to the 2 sided Sound King snare lugs. The hard part there was that I didn't have the long rods and that took a while to find the right ones but did happen. I also have a 12/14/18 with only the 14 being single center lugs......

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Either of these lugs SHOULD fit...

The second ones are what was most likely on the drum originally if it was a center lug drum from the late 50's forward. Both have the same hole spacing, 2 1/4". The scalloped lugs were on earlier (pre-1955) Slingerlands but there was a larger size that was usually used on center lugged bass drums. When they switched to the more modern Sound King lugs they did not create a new larger double ended version (as Ludwig did for Club Dates) so they used the small snare drum version for all their center lugged lines.

Lower cost drum outfits often had hoop mount spurs and tom holders.

Here's an older Slingerland bass drum of mine with center lugs (the aforementioned larger scalloped lugs) and hoop mount spurs and tom holder. If your shell is old enough it might require those lugs...which would be harder to acquire but vintage ones are out there.

IMG_2166.JPG

IMG_2172.JPG

Last edited:

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
Man, oh Man, that is one gorgeous drum set. Those wood hoops with the inlays blend perfectly.
Fabulous.

retrosonic

DFO Master
Reaction score
KO, that set really came out amazing. Were those all orphan slingys you had?

By the way, perfect choice of music!

Fullerton 9/72

Reaction score
Those old Slingerland hoops were really strong, considering all the work they had to do - holding the toms, the spurs, the cymbals - not to mention holding the head tension! Amazing that they didn't split!

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The shell is bare. Well, minus the inner weird shiny stuff that stayed on the drum when I pulled the yellow satin flame wrap.

I'll try and post some pics, but you won't get much more from mine as you have from the gorgeous pics up above. Been very busy the last few days.

I've stayed away from snare lugs, for fear of tension rod splay. . . . .but I can certainly see that the bass lugs are the same size as the lugs on the toms.

Thanks for the replies.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Either of these lugs SHOULD fit...

The second ones are what was most likely on the drum originally if it was a center lug drum from the late 50's forward. Both have the same hole spacing, 2 1/4". The scalloped lugs were on earlier (pre-1955) Slingerlands but there was a larger size that was usually used on center lugged bass drums. When they switched to the more modern Sound King lugs they did not create a new larger double ended version (as Ludwig did for Club Dates) so they used the small snare drum version for all their center lugged lines.

Lower cost drum outfits often had hoop mount spurs and tom holders.

Here's an older Slingerland bass drum of mine with center lugs (the aforementioned larger scalloped lugs) and hoop mount spurs and tom holder. If your shell is old enough it might require those lugs...which would be harder to acquire but vintage ones are out there.

View attachment 459797

View attachment 459798
Yes, all of the lug mount hole spacings are 2 1/4, as is the other pair of holes for that particular mount.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Bass drum lugs from the era of Kevin's drums are longer and sit taller from the shell to account for the wooden hoops. That appears to be what Kevin has on his peacock kit.

Last edited:

el_37

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The shell is bare. Well, minus the inner weird shiny stuff that stayed on the drum when I pulled the yellow satin flame wrap.

I'll try and post some pics, but you won't get much more from mine as you have from the gorgeous pics up above. Been very busy the last few days.

I've stayed away from snare lugs, for fear of tension rod splay. . . . .but I can certainly see that the bass lugs are the same size as the lugs on the toms.

Thanks for the replies.
We keep calling them "snare" lugs but they are referred to in the old Slingerland catalogs as the Model 567 "Double End Lug".

Slingerland used the same exact double ended lugs on bass drums, floor toms, mounted toms, snares and parade drums. So the lugs posted for sale are correct for your application.

The lack of telescopic spurs on your drum makes me wonder if it was a single tension model originally.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Old Dog, is this your bass drum? '65 makes sense. Entry level with just a cymbal mount. Soung King lugs for this one. Same shell construction as top line models. https://reverb.com/item/27165973-slingerland-stage-band-14x22-1960-s-gold-satin-flame-shell?show_sold=true
That's the one. Sound King lugs, Roger :thumbup:
looks like someone was murdered in it.

I wondered the same. Looks a bit more like red wine to me. :shock:
We keep calling them "snare" lugs but they are referred to in the old Slingerland catalogs as the Model 567 "Double End Lug".

Slingerland used the same exact double ended lugs on bass drums, floor toms, mounted toms, snares and parade drums. So the lugs posted for sale are correct for your application.

The lack of telescopic spurs on your drum makes me wonder if it was a single tension model originally.
Interesting. Thanks for the heads up on the lugs. That will save me some $$.

TONS of great info. And thanks for posting the pics.