Vintage Slingerland Brass Snare-Can't find in any Catalogues

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Some things appear “odd” on that snare ... considering the lister states that it’s all original save for a clip.
The inside appears “off” ... like it was given a stain?
The aging is extremely uneven. The rims and snare mech are considerably more worn than some of the other items ... interesting juxtaposition of the snare mech to the butt in this line of variables.
The inside hardware is strange.
There are several other red flags.
My guess ... this seller has ethical issues.

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have what I think is the exact snare but NOB (not black outside).......the hoops are COB, though......I think it is from the '29-'36....

See Page 6 here. Professional model (comes in black - see below left) - the throw looks long (mine and the eBay one have short arms - similar to the Universal snare):

Since it is an 8 lugger it would have to be professional model since the universal is a six lugger.. can't figure why the throw is not long as the one in the catalogue.
I paid $300 which included shipping... do you think that was a good price

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If it sounds good and plays well and you are satisfied with the snare ... it's a great price.
If you purchased it for a collection and intend to resell it for profit ... perhaps not as good of a move as the first scenario.

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Is this a professional or universal model.
The pro model had 8 lugs but it had a 3 point strainer while the universal was a 6 lugger with a sure grip strainer.
I am just trying to figure which model this is

Thank you

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Right. I got that. Unfortunately, you might be dealing with non-original parts on this snare beyond the one clip the seller mentioned. That was my point.
You had first asked two questions ...
Is it original?
What is it's value?
I am still stuck on the first question.
I'm not sure that snare mechanism and butt are original to this snare ... among other things. I'm not onsite and honestly, I'm not sure I'd trust my own eyes in this one. There's just too many red flags for me to weigh in on a particular model from Slingerland.
Value was addressed in my followup post. If you like it, it's worth what you paid. If you plan to keep it as a part of your original collection and/or resell it for profit ... that one is a bit tougher.

I'm sure there are others here that might view these variables differently. I'm not the know all and end all to vintage Slingerland drums. Perhaps others will weigh in and shed a bit more light on this.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Maybe 8 lug version Slingerland Orchestral Model
scroll down

add these:

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Ken,

Here is one that was posted for $800 and appears to be similar to your snare - black, 8 lugs, small throw.....I don't know if it sold or what - Reverb has no way to my knowledge to show sold listings like eBay - but maybe call the seller and find out. The listing calls it an Orchestra model - not sure the difference between that and the Pro one.....I say you did well for $300, especially if it sounds good.

Mine is pretty sweet sounding. I took it over to Bentley's maybe 1-2 years ago,
and he and I did an A/B with a vintage Black Beauty (my dream snare) and tuned them the same. It was *almost* as nice for 1/10th the price! I just can't justify dropping $2K+ on a snare that will probably just sit around.........

kenshireen1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have gone over all the vintage catalogs and cannot find this orchestra snare..
Also, the professional model always shows the longer throw.
How do you know if this is the professional model or the orchestra.
The only orchestra model I saw had black duco hoops and nickel plating on the shell