Vintage Slingerland Cut-Away 8 Piece

PassiveTone78

Reaction score
I have the opportunity to acquire a 1982 Slingerland Cut-Away Kit. The owner says they were given to him by the original owner, they are 5 plies and the original heads.

Can anyone help me out with these? Is it worth it? Are they worth it?
693ADD3C-2435-4759-B14E-B6537CD815DA.jpeg

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
depends what you want to do...if you want/need a big concert tom kit...might be worth it...its a cool look too...but you might be able to piece one together with marching band singles/orhphans...and you can easily convert them to melodic toms...if you wanted to ...

if you have a sports car and you need a box truck...maybe its not a bad trade...

utdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just personal...never cared for the look. They scream "marching toms" on a kit. I like concert toms but not the cutaway.

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
these are too cool for school. i owned slingerland 5 plys in the early 80's and they kicked ass. beautiful wood finish, and the cut away sets them apart visually.

my main question to you would be - is this your only set? you might not want concert toms as your primary sound, but what a great second set. also, what are you into the ludwigs money wise? does the slingerland set come with the snare and all that hardware?

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
These are from the braintrust of Fred Sanford ... not THAT Fred Sanford. Rather the one that worked with the Santa Clara Vanguard during the 70s ... the one that worked for Slingerland ... the one that totally revamped the Marching inventory for the company ... the one that decided to cut the bottom of the tom away in order to better project the sound on the football field ... the one that helped design the TDR snare system ... the one that helped put Slingerland on top in the Marching Percussion market. He was an absolutely amazing designer and innovator.
Unfortunately, Slingerland decided to utilize these marching drums for their concert tom kits in the later 70s. You either love them or hate them.
I had a trio of the middle to larger ones that I mounted outside of my regular toms ... copying Moon's double row. They had a really good sound and looked interesting.
Not sure what these things are going for these days, but the fact that this is a relatively complete kit ... it's not a common sight. I like the kit. It's a bit large for my tastes these days, but danged if it ain't cool.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think they're cool too....as long as these are Niles badges. And the natural looking maple finish might be the best of all of them. Aren't most of these in wraps of white, black, etc? Not as cool looking to me. The other half of the equation is the condition, sizes, and finish on the Ludwigs considered for trade.

With the hardware I'd figured that Slingerland kit around $1000-$1200 with hardware. Not saying you can get that, but you might. The small sizes in the toms (6,8,10) can fetch considerable money, and usually much more than the larger sizes....looks to me like you have the 8,10. I have a feeling you'd be lucky to find one of these kits, in these sizes and in natural finish about once a year. My icon photo is a somewhat similar 9 pc. Tama Superstar concert tom kit in super maple. In looking around the country the past 18 months, I've only seen one other like it in that finish....even the singles don't show up very often....esp. the small sizes. So the kit you are considering could be quite scarce. And the 18" floor tom adds an additional chunk of change over a 16". And those double tom stands can run $75-$100 each. Mint original hardware is another plus that can toss more $$ your way. And lots of these kits are being parted out, leaving fewer and fewer left standing.

I think that's a pretty cool and desirable Slingerland kit....assuming it's Niles, IL. and the chrome and shells are clean. Not far removed from the orig owner and still on orig heads....neat. I'd bet they are in excellent condition...most aren't. All that plays a role. In reality, the Ludwigs are quite common in comparison....still being made....and still depreciating. The Slingerland has pretty much already depreciated. Not making anymore. Having played a couple 9 pc concert tom kits....they are really fun to play. Nothing wrong with having one cool concert tom kit. Only Slingerland had these cut-aways. I don't know what that means for future collectibility or interest. But it never hurts to have something cool that no one else has......one of the reasons I bought my icon photo kit.

Last edited:

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-SLINGERLAND-VINTAGE-DRUMS-1980S-CONCERT-TOMS-cut-a-way-WITH-TUBE-STANDS-/192890215111?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

This Ebay seller is asking $800 for the 6,8,10,12 with stands....and they are rewraps. Not saying they're worth that. But they are valuable. You'll spend a lot of time trying to snag these smaller sizes for "cheap." Usually, it's just the opposite. And these large tom kits are playable...even for old guys like me. It took me 1-2 months to really get comfortable going around the kit and find the positions that worked really well.

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=62305

One of these links discusses the Dennis St. John kit used with Neil Diamond...and a couple tribute kits that close.

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?t=52927

Last edited:

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes, the kit in question is a Niles kit! As mentioned above, Fred Sanford was instrumental with advancing Slingerland's position with marching percussion and the "Cut-a-Way" toms! The design really did project the sound much better! Many of these kits were featured in Slingerland's 1979 catalog, featured HERE

In fact, the kit appears to be the "Energizer", showing the Cut-a-Way version in the inset picture. Pretty cool!

The kit in question appears to be in well cared for and great condition! Personally, I wouldn't expect it to be the main gigging kit for any drummer, but given the right venue, it would be both visually and sonically fantastic!

All the stands are of the tubular leg design, comes with Slingerland's 6.5" Sound King snare drum and the excellent Yellow Jacket/Magnum pedal. If the price is right, I'd certainly buy it!

-Mark

Last edited:

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I love the look of that kit. Great finish. Super cool looking toms. I agree ... if the snare and hardware comes with the kit ... I'd be all over that. What a neat find!!!

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't even like concert tom kits, and I've never been a "Slingerland guy," but I have to say: Those drums are RARE, in excellent, original shape, were of Slingerland's high build quality, and will deliver a certain sonic experience...if you play in a Hawaii/Vegas-era Elvis band, or Neil Diamond tribute band (same drummer, I know, he played Ludwigs), or you are playing behind-the-times 80's Nashville country, these'll get you there. Also, they deserve to be well-cared for as a fine example of American innovation and drum making. Please don't "break up the set." They appear almost as museum-quality.

Houndog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't even like concert tom kits, and I've never been a "Slingerland guy," but I have to say: Those drums are RARE, in excellent, original shape, were of Slingerland's high build quality, and will deliver a certain sonic experience...if you play in a Hawaii/Vegas-era Elvis band, or Neil Diamond tribute band (same drummer, I know, he played Ludwigs), or you are playing behind-the-times 80's Nashville country, these'll get you there. Also, they deserve to be well-cared for as a fine example of American innovation and drum making. Please don't "break up the set." They appear almost as museum-quality.
He used a Slingerland cutaway kit .

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Really?!! Tutt did?!! Dang, I was more right than I knew!

Last edited:

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
On Elvis 1972 Hawaii concerts Ron Tutt is playing a mix of concert + std toms + a Ludwig supra. I see him with this kit a lot. Not sure what mfg but I'd guess Ludwig with those white interiors. Would love to see some video of him on a Slingerland cut-a-away kit. Since Elvis passed in 1977 he had to used those cut-a-ways with another artist, such as Neil Diamond in the 1980's.

Last edited:

Joe A

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't think it could be put any better. Plus, concert toms have been bubbling under long enough to where they'll be hot again in a bit.

yetanotherdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here is a picture of Dennis St. John and his Slingerland kit. I know he also had a cut away concert tom kit that he used with Neil Diamond.

dsjtoms2.jpg