Vintage Slingerland Indentification

drumsforme

Reaction score
Hello Forum members- Came across this snare drum in a deceased neighbors home. It looks from the badge to be a late 50's 8 lug Slingerland maple shelled snare. Obviously the wires are incorrect and the top part of the lever is missing. It looks to have no modifications and it tunes up quite nicely....in fact I used it on two gigs over the weekend and it sounded very good. Any information on this snare that anyone can provide?....and the value?
Thanks

Attachments

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Looks like a 1956-1959 model Gene Krupa model. Solid maple shell, RK strainer, black diamond pearl. A pic from the 1959 Slingy catalog is attached. I am guessing $200 due to condition and if it was nicer (with lever, no rust, cleaned up), probably $300-400, and maybe even $500 if pristine. Nice, though!

59 Slingy.jpg

CLMacPherson

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
JazzDrumGuy said:
Looks like a 1956-1959 model Gene Krupa model. Solid maple shell, RK strainer, black diamond pearl. A pic from the 1959 Slingy catalog is attached. I am guessing $200 due to condition and if it was nicer (with lever, no rust, cleaned up), probably $300-400, and maybe even $500 if pristine. Nice, though!

59 Slingy.jpg
+1

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
drumsforme said:
Hello Forum members- Came across this snare drum in a deceased neighbors home. It looks from the badge to be a late 50's 8 lug Slingerland maple shelled snare. Obviously the wires are incorrect and the top part of the lever is missing. It looks to have no modifications and it tunes up quite nicely....in fact I used it on two gigs over the weekend and it sounded very good. Any information on this snare that anyone can provide?....and the value?
Thanks
The drum dates from '56-'59.
That is the first black and brass badge, as noted by the loop at the bottom of the "S".
If you ever run across another Slingerland drum and wonder about its age, find a close up pic of the badge, then use this guide to decode the details - http://www.vintagedrumguide.com/drcjw/article_1_badges.html

Elvis

Latest posts