Vintage Slingerland Restoration? Or Fuggetaboutit?

Philly James

Reaction score
Backstory: This drum kit has a special meaning to me. They were Dad’s drums, and he stopped playing them before he went in the Navy. They were in Grandma’s attic for a long time. We would visit her, or else I’d get dropped off there, and one day I wandered up to the attic and found these drums. I got permission to play them, so that’s what I did every time we visited her.
I was about 7 years old, and this was my first experience with a
musical instrument. I have great memories of going up there and pounding away on those drums.

When my Grandma moved to an apartment in the early 1980s, Dad asked me if I wanted the drums. I didn’t even hesitate. They have stayed with me somehow, through all of the attics or closets of places I have lived.
C88CB589-0F43-49C0-984D-E2D49AB1F03C.jpeg

Why did I wait this long? I don’t know if I have an answer for that. I had good intentions about ten years ago, and I made some inquiries, but that kind of faded out.

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
The *snare at least.....
let's get a look at that.
let's go what are you waiting for ; )
brush off the **cymbals. Any Zildjian in there..
let's go get a move on (lol kidding...

what the_ is that snare..
don't tell me/ show pictures/
is it wood or metal or both..

Philly James

Reaction score
It’s a Leedy, and it’s stamped 3611 which someone told me stands for November 1936. The kit is in the attic and the lighting isn’t that great, but I can get better pics if needed.

I couldn’t find any name on any cymbals.....yet.
F9F9106E-4BCE-4A60-AFC8-596E460CF983.jpeg
45702EB5-030D-4458-B0B1-919FFC5B7B0B.jpeg
C8C3D475-0F56-435F-AE68-EE35AF51DE6D.jpeg

8D297438-D17A-49F3-9E2B-03D158784312.jpeg

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score

Philly James

Reaction score

Philly James

Reaction score
I’ll take care of that when I get home.
(The measurements of the snare).

Last edited:

Philly James

Reaction score
At the very MINIMUM, they deserve to be cleaned up! The sentimental value alone would have me wanting to do a rehab/restoration/refurbish on them!

-Mark
I agree with you there, but I’m pretty much clueless on how to go about it. That’s why I joined this forum to get help from the experts.

I guess I’ll start with the cymbals. What is the best cleaner for them?

Philly James

Reaction score
You gotta do it, for Dad.....or sell them. Leedy looks like a 4x14?
Dad’s still around, and he’s 87. Yeah, I’m sure he would get a good kick out of seeing them restored. I must work fast though. I recently asked him where he purchased them, and he wasn’t exactly sure. He gave two possibilities. His dementia is starting to take hold.

Last edited:

Philly James

Reaction score
Another important question I have, and maybe I’m getting ahead of myself here: The snare is a Leedy. Do I seek out a period correct Slingerland snare, or restore the Leedy?

Important question #2: is the tom definitely a Slingy? It has no badge, but the hardware matches the bass drum.

Important question #3: I feel like something is missing. Possibly a bass drum mounted tom, and perhaps a large ride cymbal? I have a truckload of questions.

Important question #4: I’m missing a kick pedal for the bass drum. How hard will it be to find a period correct one?

Important question #5: I hate the color. It’s this battleship gray that looks like someone painted it on with a brush. That’s definitely got to go, so I will need to find out if period-correct wraps are available, and if there will be prep work involved, etc.

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
As for cymbals, use soap and warm water and a t-shirt for now. Some of us like old cymbals with patina if you choose to sell them.

For the drums, take them apart, and use a barely damp t-shirt dipped in warm water. Make sure you have a towel nearby to dry them off ASAP.....don't leave them wet. And do not remove any date stamps or labels (or get them wet!). If you can't get items off (ie: bottom of tom head is tacked on), just forget it.......

The bass/tom look to be Slingerland Radio Kings.......forget about the parts for now. And don't mess up that bass drum head/painting - that could be mounted on a wall!

Basically, just a basic simple clean up for now - and some before and after pics will be very cool.......
and long live Dad!

Philly James

Reaction score
for who..
keep the snare sell the rest to the music store down the street Philly Joe played a Leedy

The snare is the Keeper $
unless you want to restore that bass
Hmmm! Interesting response! I know I’m going to get confused here with all your different ideas and suggestions. I think that’s why I gave up on this project 10 years ago, because I got too many conflicting ideas.

Latest posts