Vintage Slingerland Restoration? Or Fuggetaboutit?

Philly James

Reaction score
Update:

The floor tom is apart, and I’ll begin soaking the hardware tonight.

Before:

CBFCF27A-2ECB-48C2-8137-67E81D37DCCC.jpeg
D58D9F50-A3E0-484A-BD80-D79B681AA837.jpeg
2BC8156B-7EEB-44B3-AB9B-49424AED15C5.jpeg

Does anyone know what these items are?

0ACA4F1D-E6CA-437A-8847-5457972521E4.jpeg

Old school brushes and soft drumsticks. (Not sure about the correct terminology).

431CB01B-521E-4ADA-B6EF-2FDCB73B99CC.jpeg

Should I soak the brushes?

E23CC7E6-5887-499C-8CD1-44544B158DB4.jpeg

One of the tuners is bent. How would you fix it?

AF8CC9EE-A189-4B15-8629-EF9AB46A3880.jpeg

Last edited:

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
Top one is a Spur to attach to front bass drum hoop to stabilize
Second looks like a tool to reach into something not familiar
Third part not familiar-bottom of a three-legged mic stand or something ; )

Philly James

Reaction score
Still trying to determine what the original color was. Look at this tom. I only see three layers: natural wood, white, and that gray. All opinions welcome.

Sorry, forgot to post the pics.

C3F4B2B5-E7C0-4C7E-8C04-2EB95DC0B551.jpeg
2898260B-EC43-4535-9F46-3F4052CF1B49.jpeg
8EBEB53E-020F-4BC5-BF49-480668DC1A14.jpeg

Last edited:

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Another method for the bent tuning / tension rod is to put it on a hard carpeted surface. Then I place a folded over rag over it for cushioning and lightly tap with a rubber mallet on the affected area. Roll over into different positions as needed. Checking after each tap and blow to check progress. I've never had vintage rod not straighten out pretty well....and have never ruined one where the head came off. I've tried the vice method and prefer the hammer tap....sometimes with a metal head hammer when a rod is really curled and rubber isn't cutting it. In the vice you have to protect all the threads with wood pieces....and those easily slip or fracture...or the rod burrows into the wood at the threads.

Your rod is curled right at the collar. So I would put some wood or rubber pieces either side of it so as not to dent the collar. The curl in yours is pretty gentle and consistent....should tap right out.

Last edited:

K.BRN_Percussion_Series

Reaction score
Dad’s still around, and he’s 87. Yeah, I’m sure he would get a good kick out of seeing them restored. I must work fast though. I recently asked him where he purchased them, and he wasn’t exactly sure. He gave two possibilities. His dementia is starting to take hold.
I would definitely do it for dad! Sending wellness to you and your fam.

Troyh

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Just catching up on this thread. Very cool.
K.O., (as always), is right on the money. Keep them together by all means. If you are going to play them, I'd put a different reso head on the bass, displaying the old as art on the wall behind the set.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score

m.clover

Reaction score
A couple of years ago, I restored my set of Ludwig Club Dates. Permit me to give you a few tips.
1) DON"T sell , throw out or give away anything.
2) I agree with cleaning the set AFTER disassembly.
3) DON'T rush. Take your time. A rush job will show. e.g., I started my restoration project in July and finished in October.

Monday317

Reaction score
Backstory: This drum kit has a special meaning to me. They were Dad’s drums, and he stopped playing them before he went in the Navy. They were in Grandma’s attic for a long time. We would visit her, or else I’d get dropped off there, and one day I wandered up to the attic and found these drums. I got permission to play them, so that’s what I did every time we visited her.
I was about 7 years old, and this was my first experience with a
musical instrument. I have great memories of going up there and pounding away on those drums.

When my Grandma moved to an apartment in the early 1980s, Dad asked me if I wanted the drums. I didn’t even hesitate. They have stayed with me somehow, through all of the attics or closets of places I have lived.
View attachment 405990

Why did I wait this long? I don’t know if I have an answer for that. I had good intentions about ten years ago, and I made some inquiries, but that kind of faded out.
Oh Hell yes, you want to restore this beautiful set—if you want to play them. If not, clean everything well (Nevr-Dull polish wadding will make the old nickel plating sparkle!), and sell the kit on eBay, for new life, and a tidy profit to boot!

Shawn1968

Reaction score
Coming in late to this thread, but just want to echo others that this is a great restoration project! The sentimental value alone makes it worthwhile. And that front (resonant) bass drum head is beautiful! Please don't replace it, or if you do, hang on to it.

jerry l tanenbaum

Reaction score
Backstory: This drum kit has a special meaning to me. They were Dad’s drums, and he stopped playing them before he went in the Navy. They were in Grandma’s attic for a long time. We would visit her, or else I’d get dropped off there, and one day I wandered up to the attic and found these drums. I got permission to play them, so that’s what I did every time we visited her.
musical instrument. I have great memories of going up there and pounding away on those drums.

When my Grandma moved to an apartment in the early 1980s, Dad asked me if I wanted the drums. I didn’t even hesitate. They have stayed with me somehow, through all of the attics or closets of places I have lived.
View attachment 405990

Why did I wait this long? I don’t know if I have an answer for that. I had good intentions about ten years ago, and I made some inquiries, but that kind of faded out.
Definitely worth working on. LOVE the bass dr head. Radio Kings and Leedy drums are collectible - and even playable if properly restored

Clean carefully for starters - avoid chemicals especially on that BD head

Then you can look into parts

I bet your Dad didn’t even get those new

Joeyboom

De. Drum Show Feb. TBA 2018
Reaction score

View attachment 405990

Hey Philly if you need help hit me up I live in Burlington from Nj

falconium

Reaction score
I suggest you visit Ebay and look at all of the beautiful vintage kits that have been restored. We take American Vintage drum kits for granted but they are an American invention and changed music forever. The ability to play a trap drum set with independent limb action is a unique talent in all of human history. Drummers, especially hard playing drummers, exert Olympic-level strength and endurance. It all comes from pioneers who built and marketed early kits like Leedy, Slingerland, Ludwig , etc. I think there is no question you should restore, refurbish and preserve this musical and industrial American history. There is no question in my mind that, regardless of monetary value, these should be cherished. Even if you don't go as far as a full restoration, clean them up, put new heads on and play them. Take it in stages. If you make them presentable and playable you may grow to love them enough to fully restore them.

AirC

Reaction score
Backstory: This drum kit has a special meaning to me.

to most of us here, all drums have special meaning. this one has special meaning, a goodwill find. a 50s era Slingerland 2N Jobber kit, 12 x 20 bass, 12 x 8 rack (both mahogany shells). the floor is a Apr 1965 Slingerland 16 x 16

Attachments

Latest posts