header.nohb.html

Vintage snare for jazz recommendations

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
all of em? out of 1000s of drums? doubt it even if so trust me, You won't notice ; / the difference

Fibes

Reaction score
My go to jazz snare is a SSB Jasper shelled 5 x 14. It's a simple thin 6 ply but with much more pleasing beds and edges than the earlier offerings. It's a unique bird in that it has one of their "standard" throwoffs, which were typically used on their aluminum student models from time to time. Still has the paper tag but the ink is pretty faded re: model number. But it just has that mid 50's to early 60's voice.

Greetings all- been thinking of getting new snare, maybe a project one, that would be versatile but especially good fit for jazz playing. Wondering what others out there might have tried? Any particular models that others are pleased with and that won’t break the bank? Thanks in advance.

feelyat

Reaction score
Greetings all- been thinking of getting new snare, maybe a project one, that would be versatile but especially good fit for jazz playing. Wondering what others out there might have tried? Any particular models that others are pleased with and that won’t break the bank? Thanks in advance.
Might I suggest a Ludwig Standard? They have a similar (identical?) shell to a Ludwig Jazz Festival, but have lighter (though still quite good) hardware.

richardh253

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
1920s nickel over brass Ludwig. Many people rave about them and there are a lotl of YouTube videos that sound great, killer for sensitive touch. It also happens that I have one I am thinking of selling for around 4 bills
agree although the one I bought from MAxwells about 5 years ago was $850 and sounds amazing!

DD

Reaction score
…but with much more pleasing beds and edges than the earlier offerings.
That’s interesting…were edges redone you think? Or did Gretsch change it up at that time?

OttawaDrumGuy

Reaction score
I would second that about the NOB. Mine's a 4x15 and is very defined and articulate, while providing a nice 'bark' when needed. Great for brushes too.
(I replaced the original clips with modern repops, )

I’ve got one of the 4 x 15 versions too (the Concert Dance model). Sounds much bigger than I thought a 4” drum would sound. And the extra inch in diameter does give a bit more room for brushes.

FitDrummer

Reaction score
50's WFL Pioneer or 60's Ludwig Pioneer
6 lugs to the Jazz Fest 8 lugs and waaaay cheaper.
woody & warm and won't break the bank.
All my Ludwig kits have the matching pioneer for that reason.

My favorite wood snare! In fact my only wood snare!

Attachments

• E3FD30FE-9894-41EC-A59F-021E7CAD0464.jpeg
    E3FD30FE-9894-41EC-A59F-021E7CAD0464.jpeg
    56.2 KB · Views: 47
  • 86446990-BA41-48E5-8289-AA5439B3D49A.jpeg
    86446990-BA41-48E5-8289-AA5439B3D49A.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 42

sternerp

Reaction score
Rogers Dynasonic seems to be the no brain answer to me. You won't find a more articulate snare when you take the time to learn how dial it in. If you fail at that, then a CoB Powertone can be had for $300 or less.
I agree! It took me awhile to get my early 70’s Dynasonic adjusted correctly. I bought it on Reverb, and looked great, but the throw off was hanging up every time I tried to turn it. I eventually noticed that the threaded screw was bent, probably from being dropped on the throw off. The easy solution was to purchase a brand new one from Rogers USA. It is now my favorite snare all genres.

Also high on my favorites are the Slingerland COB Sound Kings from the 60’s and 70’s; I have four of them and love their sound. The runner-up is my 68 Ludwig Supraphonic.

vintagedrummersweden

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Premier Royal Ace, wood.
I've got one, a 60´s 4x14 with newer Tama strainer (broken parallel throw).
Thin shell, aquamarine sparkle and die cast hoops.

If you want a vintage snare but with a smaller budget - go Premier!

sternerp

Reaction score
Rogers Dynasonic seems to be the no brain answer to me. You won't find a more articulate snare when you take the time to learn how dial it in. If you fail at that, then a CoB Powertone can be had for $300 or less.
I agree with you. I have an early ‘70’s COB Dynasonic. It took me awhile to get the hang of dialing the snares, but once I did, I was impressed with the sound and articulation.