Vintage Sonor kit

dingaling

Reaction score
Sonor swinger. Likely from 70’s. Same beech shell as teardrops, 6 ply beech, with plastic lugs. This looks to have been upgraded with a modern top holder. They sell for about 400-500 because no one knows how great they sound. Amazing pro sounding level kit with budget hardware although I like it because it takes off a lot of weight. Those bass hoops are not original but looks cool.

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wonder if anyone ever made a low cost, low mass plastic lug which as noted has a positive sonic impact. Have always heard these work as long as you don't over tighten and crack em. Interesting finishes show up in the Swinger, Action, Rocker 2000 plastic lug lines which show up more in the EU.

BPellowe

Reaction score
Sonor swinger. Likely from 70’s. Same beech shell as teardrops, 6 ply beech, with plastic lugs. This looks to have been upgraded with a modern top holder. They sell for about 400-500 because no one knows how great they sound. Amazing pro sounding level kit with budget hardware although I like it because it takes off a lot of weight. Those bass hoops are not original but looks cool.
Yes, I recently upgraded the post for the Toms. The original was garbage and would not hold them in place. I kept the old one. I also have the original pedal and hi-hat stand with Sonor logos on them.

The one hoop is original, but there was no skin on the front and no hoop. I just put a plain hoop on it because I wanted the front skin. I had planned to paint it but never got around to it.

Thanks for your input.

ThomasL

Reaction score
I'd say it's from the early 70s. The last Swingers (around 1976-77) had Phonic lug casings with cheaper lug inserts. The shells might have date stamps inside?

What are the sizes?

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Those are terrific drums !! The plastic lugs exert almost no mass on the shells , but they ( lugs)only last so long .

I had a 20 12 13 16 like yours back in 82 . Wish I'd kept them . Impeccable 6 ply beech shells like the higher end Sonors . Undersized too .

BPellowe

Reaction score
Those are terrific drums !! The plastic lugs exert almost no mass on the shells , but they ( lugs)only last so long .

I had a 20 12 13 16 like yours back in 82 . Wish I'd kept them . Impeccable 6 ply beech shells like the higher end Sonors . Undersized too .
I don't know whether to sell them and get some Ludwigs, or have them wrapped with the oyster black like Ringo had. Wrapping them might destroy their value but will give me the look I want.

Germandrummer

Reaction score
I don't know whether to sell them and get some Ludwigs, or have them wrapped with the oyster black like Ringo had. Wrapping them might destroy their value but will give me the look I want.
Go for a rewrap if you like the new look. Many of the here (Germany) offered Swingers have the pictured finish, red marble. Probably not that rare.

kallen49

Reaction score
I’m ”next door” in Burlington. I’d say that kit is rare, in Ontario at least, and retains better value as is.
Agree shells are desirable. I’d keep em.
If you do want to sell show them to Century Drum store in Toronto. They sell a lot of vintage gear and generally for higher prices than one gets on kijiji.
Be prepared to pay close to $2000 CAN for a vintage Ludwig 3 piece, (unless it’s in really rough shape), that seems to be the most sought after/valued vintage kit now.

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
My Sonors were red onyx-ish . This was the early eighties and I was into " natural wood " shells . The wrap peeled off like a banana with hardly any glue residue . I should have have left them alone , but at the time vintage wasn't as specifically defined and the drums themselves weren't that old .

Something else - on account of the shells being undersized , Sonor hoops are the only ones who's ears line up the tuning bolts and lugs at 90 degrees , so if those have factory correct German hoops, hold on to them , because they're very hard to find .

wayne

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They seem to be catching on for some reason. Could be the crazy prices of mint vintage gear, so you should be able to get a decent dollar. Watch out for third party involvement. These guys are in business to make the profit that should be yours. I,d be patient and wait for the right buyer, dont give them away unless you really have to. Dont expect big bucks for them either, they were the lower line back then, but still better than most US offerings.....Benny makes a good point about the hoops!

Latest posts