Vintage Taiko Drums

rikkrebs

DFO Master
Reaction score
I picked these up locally today.
The red one has a 24” head and is probably from the 70’s or 80’s. I’m guessing.It sounds good, but was probably a decorative piece. I wouldn’t play this too much with actual taiko sticks. However mallets would sound great.

The black one has a 23” head and is a legit playable Drum from maybe the 1920’s. This thing is a BEAST!
C2E26C6D-F371-4A78-9E97-4242E5D958DC.jpeg
2F9966C3-D0F4-430A-9C9D-AE7B54B886BA.jpeg
CF25A70C-625E-4079-B663-710A1342A5B7.jpeg

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wild stuff!
The taiko presentation "at" PASIC this last Fall was actually live from the Japanese island where folks go to live and study, some for many years. It was, simply, KILLER! They make their own drums from the raw hunks of wood. Maybe someone from there might have some renovation tips for you, Rick.

rikkrebs

DFO Master
Reaction score
Wild stuff!
The taiko presentation "at" PASIC this last Fall was actually live from the Japanese island where folks go to live and study, some for many years. It was, simply, KILLER! They make their own drums from the raw hunks of wood. Maybe someone from there might have some renovation tips for you, Rick.
They are actually in very functional condition.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
1st call taiko player in the Ohio area Congrats

mebeatee

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Oh my!!!! Those are fantastic.....most excellent score!!!
However, and I may be wrong, these may not be Taiko drums but Chinese drums.
Taiko drums are not usually decorated as such and more often than not resemble (many kinds of) barrels with natural wood finishes. Chinese (and some Korean drums among others) drums can be quite colourful and engraved. Also, as you alluded, if one was more "decorative" it would be Chinese. I remember going gong shopping in Vancouver many moons ago and those drums were quite plentiful at the time. Not the big one like you have though....rarer. Taiko drums weren't decorative per se....albeit quite beautiful.
Either/or that's a couple of wonderful drums you have there!!!! Your windows/wall hangings still in place?
Yoweeee!
bt

rikkrebs

DFO Master
Reaction score
Oh my!!!! Those are fantastic.....most excellent score!!!
However, and I may be wrong, these may not be Taiko drums but Chinese drums.
Taiko drums are not usually decorated as such and more often than not resemble (many kinds of) barrels with natural wood finishes. Chinese (and some Korean drums among others) drums can be quite colourful and engraved. Also, as you alluded, if one was more "decorative" it would be Chinese. I remember going gong shopping in Vancouver many moons ago and those drums were quite plentiful at the time. Not the big one like you have though....rarer. Taiko drums weren't decorative per se....albeit quite beautiful.
Either/or that's a couple of wonderful drums you have there!!!! Your windows/wall hangings still in place?
Yoweeee!
bt
I agree they are probably not Taiko. Most taiko are not decorated.