Vintage Tama Hi Hat stand

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I got a couple of these when I got my Artstar.
I've yet to use it. Well, I really don't know what the extra clamps, and stuff are.
I saw something similar on Ebay, and it was pretty expensive. Unless it would be of use to me???? I wouldn't mind getting a few bucks for it.
Anyway, does anyone know anything about these old stands?
20210227_145337.jpg

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like a Titan ......Superstar era for double bass.
I had it-with legs with a 1981 Aqua Superstar monstrosity set..

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Looks like a Titan ......Superstar era for double bass.
I had it-with legs with a 1981 Aqua Superstar monstrosity set..
Lol. Would I be able to use that as a legless hi hat stand?
Strange he would have more than 1.
All the kits I've seen from that era are monstrosities. My 1st kit. Tama Swingstar (paperboy ;))

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
It sort of looks like the item JDA said. The clamping assembly should have a piece that attaches to the bass drum hoop for stability. Don't see that there.
If it's an original hi hat stand for double bass drum those do command some decent money when all the parts are there......$75-$100?

My first Tama kit from 1984 was no monstrosity. Just your basic 5 pc Superstar cherry wine in standard shell depths......12,13,16,22 + Mastercraft 14x5. Basic Titan hardware.

kallen49

Reaction score
Similar to a Tama “Titan“ hi hat stand I bought new in 1974 or ‘74. It had that spring but had 3 legs.
Paid $55 CAN (on par with US in those days). Sold in 2009.
Used it when I was playing 6 nights a week in 1979 to 1981. I replaced the spring once (1980 I think).
I was working at a music shop in 1975 and Tama was the first to offer what was a “new class“ of very heavy weight hardware. Pearl quickly followed with their own versions. Then everybody else.

I also have that Tama clamp and the cymbal L arm that fits in it. Still works for an 8” cymbal.
Bit of a pain because disassembly required to attach to some stands. Gibraltar designs solved that.

BTW I have one Tama Titan 1976 cymbal stand that enables a large cymbal to be played 6 feet above ground. The tilter thread screw snapped years ago so I use CB boom arm allowing even higher placement, not that I ever have needed that. I believe I used this stand to support the bed in my camper trailer for a few seasons. Multi purpose!
I wonder if anybody has ever made a cymbal stand that goes higher?

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
It sort of looks like the item JDA said. The clamping assembly should have a piece that attaches to the bass drum hoop for stability. Don't see that there.
If it's an original hi hat stand for double bass drum those do command some decent money when all the parts are there......$75-$100?

My first Tama kit from 1984 was no monstrosity. Just your basic 5 pc Superstar cherry wine in standard shell depths......12,13,16,22 + Mastercraft 14x5. Basic Titan hardware.
The Superstar was the "Peart" kit? Excuse my ignorance, as I'm just taking inventory. I was a huge Peart fan in the 80's. His kit, and cymbals always sounded almost too perfect.
Similar to a Tama “Titan“ hi hat stand I bought new in 1974 or ‘74. It had that spring but had 3 legs.
Paid $55 CAN (on par with US in those days). Sold in 2009.
Used it when I was playing 6 nights a week in 1979 to 1981. I replaced the spring once (1980 I think).
I was working at a music shop in 1975 and Tama was the first to offer what was a “new class“ of very heavy weight hardware. Pearl quickly followed with their own versions. Then everybody else.

I also have that Tama clamp and the cymbal L arm that fits in it. Still works for an 8” cymbal.
Bit of a pain because disassembly required to attach to some stands. Gibraltar designs solved that.

BTW I have one Tama Titan 1976 cymbal stand that enables a large cymbal to be played 6 feet above ground. The tilter thread screw snapped years ago so I use CB boom arm allowing even higher placement, not that I ever have needed that. I believe I used this stand to support the bed in my camper trailer for a few seasons. Multi purpose!
I wonder if anybody has ever made a cymbal stand that goes higher?
I have 2 gigantic cymbal stands, I'll use if I want to film something from a Birdseye perspective. I wonder if they're the same, or similar.
I feel for those setting up, and tearing down (especially teard down) after a show.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have that one. And the thicker triple tiered one..
they make decent winter coat racks...

covinasurf

Reaction score
That's a blast from the past. I bought that hi-hat stand w/legs, the Camco style pedal, one of those boom stands w/counter weight, a straight stand, a snare stand and a throne (at the time, the best throne on the market) back in 1985. I still have all of them. The throne is in my bands practice studio, I use it every rehearsal.

JH

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Do you know what model throne? I just imagine being suer comfortable, and round. It spins up?

Toast Tee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I know that throne. If I saw it for a fair price I'd get it. It's sturdy, comfortable, and i always got the perfect hight. Due to back garbage, a comfortable throne at the right hight is really important.

supershifter2

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been using that type of Tama stand with the adjustable hight foot board since 1985. Great stand , best stand I ever used 2nd best was late 60's Slingerland direct pull. loosen the 2 clamps on the spring housing and adjust the foot board to the heigth you like. Spring tension is easily adjustable. Best hh stand ever. I have 10 of them just in case-uh-dia. Also I have the hh stands with legs