Vintage Tama - Imperialstar - Perfect Percussion

BeatMachine

Reaction score
Hi all!
I've read a lot of threads here but now I took the big step, I'm a member! :)

Need some help from u.

I recently bought a Vintage Tama kit (kick, 2 toms and a snare, not the floor tom unfortunately). I actually bought the kit because of the cymbals but fell in love with this copper metal wrapped drums as soon as I saw them.

What is It about this drums, why are they labeled "perfect Percussion" (see pictures).

Saw them in an old catalogue from -74 but haven't found any information about them.

I'm really curious and hope u can help me.

Attachments

multijd

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hi all!
I've read a lot of threads here but now I took the big step, I'm a member! :)

Need some help from u.

I recently bought a Vintage Tama kit (kick, 2 toms and a snare, not the floor tom unfortunately). I actually bought the kit because of the cymbals but fell in love with this copper metal wrapped drums as soon as I saw them.

What is It about this drums, why are they labeled "perfect Percussion" (see pictures).

Saw them in an old catalogue from -74 but haven't found any information about them.

I'm really curious and hope u can help me.
Welcome to DFO!

squidart

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Welcome! PERFECT PERCUSSION was an early Tama advertising slogan. They’ve had a few over the years. “Strongest Name In Drums”, “The Leader in Innovation” etc.
I think they’re killer! Are they perfect for you? :)

BeatMachine

Reaction score
Welcome! PERFECT PERCUSSION was an early Tama advertising slogan. They’ve had a few over the years. “Strongest Name In Drums”, “The Leader in Innovation” etc.
I think they’re killer! Are they perfect for you? :)
Ahaa, thanks for the slogan information!
I think they will be absolutly perfect ;) for me. I’ve only had them for some weeks but really like them.

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Welcome. Those are very early which makes them quite rare. What do the shells look like on the inside and what do the mounting brackets look like on the rack toms.

From the '73 catalog. Looks like an exact match on the tom mount and the T's and Claws.

early imperialstars.jpg

Last edited:

BeatMachine

Reaction score
Welcome. Those are very early which makes them quite rare. What do the shells look like on the inside and what do the mounting brackets look like on the rack toms.

From the '73 catalog. Looks like an exact match on the tom mount and the T's and Claws.

View attachment 450958
wow, thank you! Here are some more pics of how it looks like.

Attachments

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yep, '73 or a little earlier. That is one rare bird there. Looks like it's in great shape too. Finding a matching floor tom will be quite a challenge but that's a good problem to have.
The inner ply of the shell and the rering sure looks like birch. The outer ply is luan.

I see so many influences on these drums. Rogers swivomatic ball mounts, Rogers Beavertail lugs, Premier tom mount brackets.

BeatMachine

Reaction score
I’m very glad for your help, i learn a lot!
About the year... Wasn’t -74 the first year they made drums under the Tama badge? And before that, Star? Thinking of the badge on the drums.

BeatMachine

Reaction score
Yep, '73 or a little earlier. That is one rare bird there. Looks like it's in great shape too. Finding a matching floor tom will be quite a challenge but that's a good problem to have.
The inner ply of the shell and the rering sure looks like birch. The outer ply is luan.

I see so many influences on these drums. Rogers swivomatic ball mounts, Rogers Beavertail lugs, Premier tom mount brackets.
So maybe birch and luan?
Finding that floor tom will truly be a challenge!

Ghostin one

Reaction score
In the 1972 catalog, the word TAMA does not appear, except on these badges.
Notice the badge is square, with no cutouts to form a "T".

I only see one page of a 1973 catalog on Tama's site - I wonder where Thin Shell found that picture.