Vintage Tama Superstar Appreciation Thread

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I wanted to do something special for the vintage Tama Superstar kits owners out there. Have one dedicated spot that can be referenced and enjoyed.

tillerva

Forum Guru...yeh right :p
Reaction score
I acquired a kind of weird set up of Superstars in Super maple. Weird sizes that the owner had pieced together for his own needs. But they were well cared for and easily some of the best made drums I've owned. They were power tom sizes and most of them were sold to happy forum members.

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
No doubt, I love the Superstars. For me drums started in the 80's and when I was coming up there was no set I wanted more that a set of Superstars in Super Mahogany. I don't own a set anymore which is a regret of mine but I do still own several snares. This is one of mine in Candy Apple Red, a real favorite of mine.

Attachments

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
One of my favorite kits. I have them in Super Mahogany 12/13/16/24, with 10/14/15 extra toms, as well as a Super Maple(gorgeous finish!) 10/12/13/15/20.

I use the SM kit for my outdoor gigs. Been in extreme heat, rained on, hit with a firehose, etc. Incredible drums.

Dan

Bri6366

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I was in love with Tama Superstars ever since the '81 catalog with the Superstar Xtras in Cherry Wine came out. I still have that catalog. It took until '86 before I bought a set in Piano Black. Beautiful drums.

Attachments

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am with you guys, I remember the day I picked up of 1977 TAMA catalog at our local drum shop (still have that book) then in 1978 I ordered my first real kit from the '78 book... the Superstar 7C (#9677) kit in the natural maple finish. I picked up an Artwood snare the next year or two but this was my first pro level kit. Man did this set go through a lot of changes... I will have to post those pics one day.

Attachments

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Fat Drummer said:
I am with you guys, I remember the day I picked up of 1977 TAMA catalog at our local drum shop (still have that book) then in 1978 I ordered my first real kit from the '78 book... the Superstar 7C (#9677) kit in the natural maple finish. I picked up an Artwood snare the next year or two but this was my first pro level kit. Man did this set go through a lot of changes... I will have to post those pics one day.
Post em!

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
WOW!!!
Dang, Bandit ... that is so freekin beautiful.

Randy73

Reaction score
Perfect timing for this topic as I am going this weekend to look at a Superstar kit in natural maple. Sizes are 12,13,14,15,16,18,24. They look to be in great condition and the seller says late 70s, early 80s. The BD hoops are metal though and I am wondering if this would be original or should they be wood? Sounds like a steal to me at $500 obo.

Big Beat

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hoops should be wood, matching the shell. But if they're Swingstar metal hoops, while not original, I'd leave them alone. They are very nice and heavy duty and I know back in the day when these were just used drums, quite a few drummers looked to retrofit Swingstar hoops to use for gigging.

Randy73

Reaction score
Ok, Thank you. That is what I thought from looking through many photos of these kits. The seller said original metal hoops but it didn't seem right.

KevinD

Reaction score
I have to get pics of mine up, they are in cases right now.

I have a ~'81-82" Super Mahogany set that I bought at Ace Music in Santa Monica (which I believe was pretty well known for being a guitar shop) in 1989 when I first moved out there. They were just kind of sitting in a corner with stuff sitting on them so I asked if they were for sale.

Std sizes 12",13" 16" FT with a virgin 22" BD (which I am told is pretty rare) as well as the 6.5 x 14 Mastercraft with the rollers, it has the old style shorter lugs though- I have had no issues with them cracking and it is still one of my favorite snares)

Years later I added a 10 x14" and just missed in a winning bid on the elusive 8" x10" (back before they were going for $700+)

It also came with the Hi Beat 6740 Pedal ( the one that kind of copied the Rogers pedal) and Tama tilting Hi hat stand too as seen in the below thread

http://www.drumforum.org/index.php?/topic/88318-rare-tama-tilting-hi-hat-stand/

Simon Phillips used one for a while, it is very fluid and I have not had issues with it.

For 5 years I gigged and recorded with them all over LA and points beyond, they picked up some scratches and dings here and there but are still in really good shape. I brought them back east and have gigged them a few times here and there.

I think have Aquarian Studio X and Ambassadors on the bottom right now, that gave me a pretty good punch, nice tone and wide range of tuning

I am doing some tracks for a guy in my home studio so I plan on using these for some of his tunes.

I am actually looking forward to pulling these out now. Thanks for putting up this thread!

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My Icon used to show the Cherry Wine set I purchased new back in 1984 from LaSalle Music in West Hartford, CT. The original receipt shows I paid $1,095 for drums and hardware. Standard sizes 12, 13, 16, 22 and mastercraft 14x5.5 steel snare. I went through the 1984 catalog and went with the best bang for the buck. While power sizes were all the rage....I managed to just buy what I grew up on, standard depth toms. It was unchanged until this past December when I added a 14x10 tom via an Ebay auction. I was considering an 18x16 tom too but figured out there's only so many drums I can play at once. My original kit still has the original kick drum heads with the mirror resonant head.

Update: I've more recently picked up a new icon photo kit of Super Maple concert toms 8,10,13,14,15,16,18,24. Next color up would be Super Mahogany. And my Cherry Wine kit got additions of 8,10,15,18 to complete the run from 8 to 18....as I figured out I really could play 7-9 drums at a time.

Attachments

Last edited:

Butch1970

Reaction score
My Super Mahogany kit....supplimented by a couple of add-on drums....has gotten a lot of use of the years and the finish has seen better days. I've thought about having them refinished, but only if I can get really close to the original finish.

I remember playing the 10-12-14-18 kit in my practice room at UNT and guys not believing that it was a Tama kit :)

drumfx

Reaction score
Definitely the first pro kit that i've owned in the 80's. I loved it. My kit was a piano black lacquer 12-13-14-16-22 with a king beat 6.5" snare. i ordered an 18' FT to match but i never used it. It sat in a corner with a pile of other drums for years. i traded that kit in 1995 for a 4pc. clear Vistalite from the 70's.

davezedlee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Bri6366 said:
I was in love with Tama Superstars ever since the '81 catalog with the Superstar Xtras in Cherry Wine came out. I still have that catalog. It took until '86 before I bought a set in Piano Black. Beautiful drums.
the X-tras Wine were the ones i got new in 1983, and still have...

Attachments

spctomlin

Reaction score
Great thread for this about-to-be vintage Superstar owner. UPS tracking shows my Super Maple 12/13/16/24 in standard tom depths on schedule for delivery today. Can't wait to hear what the fuss is all about. :toothy8:

Michael

Latest posts