Vintage Tama Superstar Appreciation Thread

slinginit

Shake, bump, and shake again...
Reaction score
I always lived that aquamarine color followed by the cherry and candy apple red.

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
I picked up this roached 12-13-16-24 setup (no rerings) and have sofar cleaned up all of the hardware, replaced some missing kick lugs and claws.. and put the 8x12 back together.
I’m on the fence as to whether i want to get into trying to repair the gouges in the top of that bass drum, but I do want to remove the bent badges and flatten them

Attachments

DolFan54

Gum Flapping Idiot
Reaction score
I had an 8x14 Super Mahogany snare drum. It was my first “new” snare drum I bought, that was back in 1983. I sold it around 1986 when I was in college and needed money.

My second Superstar was in white. A 6.5x14 around 1988. They were blowing these out for $200 listing them as the last of the Superstars . Unfortunately I was selling a Tama Granstar Custom in white and the guy noticed my Superstar snare in the corner. He wouldn’t buy the Granstars w/o that snare. So I told him it’s not for sale unless you throw another $400 on the table. So he did. DOH!

I never got a Superstar Kit although I had been drooling on them since 1978 with the catalog that has Cobham on the cover with 3 bass drums.

I’m still looking for that aqua marine kit!

tmc333

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Just sold these a week ago and the guy sent me this photo of them ready for action. 13,14,18,2x24
Doubt I would have let them go if they were instead Super Maple.

Attachments

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A couple months back I was considering this mint monster concert tom kit in Super Mahogany - 13,14,15,16,18,20,22,22 + cymbals + hardware. The price was right at $1100. You don't see 18/20 inch floor tom combo's very often. Had to pass on logistics of bringing it back and fitting it all in on one trip. I'm sure the new owner is happy.

Attachments

Last edited:

BennyK

DFO Master
Reaction score
I picked up an 80's 6.5 " steel Mastercraft snare yesterday . No internal dampener , but otherwise factory complete for $ 175 . I had one back in the 90's but foolishly traded it . This one stays .

12 ply Superstar 22x14 , if not the best then one of the top two bass drums I've ever owned, and I've had lots .

BBeyer

DFO Master
Reaction score
So the plan was to rehab this kit best as possible and flip it for a profit.. but I always wanted a supermaple kit and sort of changed my plan.. and then fell into this set of matching concert toms which I’m going to have to wait a while to get in my actual hands... but this will be cool.
I suppose I can configure the set as a Phil Collins style (albeit without his signature 20” bassdrum) full CT kit, or set it up as a standard 5 piece, or the 5 piece with some small concert toms for added accents ‍♂

Edit: I backed out of the CT deal. They were odd sizes, 6" through 16". ... But missing the 12 and the 13. They seemed to have a satin finish while mine were glossy, too

Attachments

Last edited:

k_50

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This thread is giving me major Superstar GAS. I had (and stupidly sold) a set a few years back, and that was one of the two best sounding kits I've had. The other one being a Cleveland Rogers, which I also stupidly sold.
The bass drum, especially, was in a league of it's own. 2 coated Ambassadors, 2 felt strips, tuned high(!). BOOM!

Mcjnic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

I’m beginning to feel the pangs of envy ... dang those are freekin stunning!
I LOVE your kits!
So grateful you are willing to share. It means a lot to me, for one.

Bandit

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m beginning to feel the pangs of envy ... dang those are freekin stunning!
I LOVE your kits!
So grateful you are willing to share. It means a lot to me, for one.
Thanks for the very kind words buddy! People like you make it all worth sharing.

Kenwood

Reaction score
I pieced together this cherry wine kit starting with the orphaned 24" bass drum which came along in a assortment of random drums
it hung around my shop for a few years until one day I found an 18" floor tom on Craig's list, after buying that my plan was just to add a 14" tom and call it a day. But I ended up buying the 12" 13" 14" 15"and 16" all from the same eBay seller. I love the drums they look great and sound awesome but I overpaid some by buying them piece meal like I did with the cost of shipping from the west coast and between the 24" bass and the power sized toms they are not the most comfortable for me to play. I find a 22" bass drum and standard sized toms are much more suitable for me.
P1010031.JPG

superunknown

Reaction score
I pieced together this cherry wine kit starting with the orphaned 24" bass drum which came along in a assortment of random drums
it hung around my shop for a few years until one day I found an 18" floor tom on Craig's list, after buying that my plan was just to add a 14" tom and call it a day. But I ended up buying the 12" 13" 14" 15"and 16" all from the same eBay seller. I love the drums they look great and sound awesome but I overpaid some by buying them piece meal like I did with the cost of shipping from the west coast and between the 24" bass and the power sized toms they are not the most comfortable for me to play. I find a 22" bass drum and standard sized toms are much more suitable for me.View attachment 406227
This same thing has happened to me. I recently bought a mid 80s Superstar 18" floor for $20! I was going to resell it, because its in literally mint condition, but decided to hang on to it and piece a kit together. I've added an 8" and a 12" toms and Im searching for more ;) And, Now Im on the hunt for kicks to match (I want 2 because I love big kits) Curious what did you pay for the kick?

TPC

Reaction score
Decades ago I bought a mid-80's Pro Custom copper snare (the "Bruford" one). It immediately became my favorite snare, to the point that I stored or sold all my others. Fast forward to a few years back ...

I pieced together a set of Cherry Wine orphans - 18" FT (which I converted to a BD) - 10-12-13 (standard depth toms) - 13-14-15 (power toms) - 16 (FT). I set up various sizes for various projects, but these drums never get put away. They're fabulous.
Tamas.jpg

bri-guy730

Reaction score
Since we’re on the topic of Cherry Wines... mine are the deep sizes. 10, 12, 13, 16, 24, plus the matching snare 14x8! Personally I prefer my set of aquas in the standard depths BUT I still love these drums and gig with them often! The 24x16 bass is an absolute cannon.
346061CB-D173-4A52-B488-AC87F59351F8.jpeg
8F4123BF-1719-4608-A261-FA7E00D7D391.jpeg
61DCCB5E-4227-4075-8A4A-47DB01CDED6A.jpeg

Kenwood

Reaction score
This same thing has happened to me. I recently bought a mid 80s Superstar 18" floor for $20! I was going to resell it, because its in literally mint condition, but decided to hang on to it and piece a kit together. I've added an 8" and a 12" toms and Im searching for more ;) And, Now Im on the hunt for kicks to match (I want 2 because I love big kits) Curious what did you pay for the kick?
Hello superunknown I paid 25$ cash for the 24" cherry wine superstar bass
it was complete and in good condition with minor scratches and scuffs and some random clouding

for that very same 25$ I also got a bunch of Pearl export drums
a Mapex snare and three or four Tama cymbal stands
I was pretty happy to be the first caller the seller was a nice guy
and he knew the 25.00 bucks was a total giveaway
As we were loading my vehicle we were talking and he mentioned he was looking for a Casio or Yamaha type keyboard for has daughter
I had a fairly nice one at my shop that I found in a tag sale
so I dropped that off to him a few days later.

It was a few years later I found a near mint 18" floor tom in a like new fiber case on my local Craig's list for 100.00 So the bass and the 18" came to me cheap
but all those other toms I bought and had shipped from Oregon
Including this matching Mastercraft snare drum which was about 375.00 plus the ship all by itself
I still have not replaced the one oddball Art star lug
and I am told I most likely have others that are not far from failure
s-00.jpg

All told with heads I bet I spent twelve to thirteen hundred piecing that kit together
but it was fun project just the same. and they really are "Super" drums

Last edited:

Latest posts